Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Aint nutn quite like a bright Atlantic or Steelhead chromer on a hellbent sizzling run,well into the backing of a singing Hardy....music to my ears,that IS THE SOUND of flyfishing!!!
http://www.free-ringtones.cc/iphone/...m.php?id=38628
Hell Hoss that sings like my IRs
Old 03-31-2013, 05:48 PM

screwed up double post

reminder...dont hit the back button
Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Hell Hoss that sings like my IRs
Beautiful reels in their own right,an Islander or three are definately on my wishlist.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Some of his machinist type customers who work with Mikes to one half in thousand speak very highy of the new reels. Even though they are made in south Korea.
Did you really think a manufacturing sector that builds nuclear reactors and jet engines was going to have that much trouble with a fly reel?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
I have a hardy ultralite dd 4000 and love it. Wasnt to fond of the fact its made over seas, but it has exceeded my expectations so far. Its pretty to look at too.
I have a 5000, and I agree.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Banned

Question???

About the Hardy Marquis #4 (vintage)....

Ive done some reading and a little confused?

What weight line is this for?

I've read from 2-3wt lines

And read from 4/5/6 wt lines

What is this reel really made for?

Am lookin on ebay for one but dont really understand it yet...

Im looking at a quality 2-3wt rod this season and want to match it w/ a Hardy reel.
What would you recommend?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned

Something fiberglass, with that reel should be good for a lifetime of fishing
Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Something fiberglass, with that reel should be good for a lifetime of fishing
Wasnt expectin that answer...
Do you really think a fiberglass rod is a better match for a vintage Marquis than a newer graphite?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Question???
Im looking at a quality 2-3wt rod this season and want to match it w/ a Hardy reel.
What would you recommend?
The rod of your choice, buy a rod that casts well for you.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
The rod of your choice, buy a rod that casts well for you.
Absolutely good advice....and thats the path Im on.....This yr is all about mtn stream fishn....with a few BC Salmon river fishing trips.

Holy crap....I miss BC fishn....but have been very impressed w/ what AB has to offer......so Im in heaven LOL

But I want a Hardy reel this year.....so let it be said....so let it be written....so let it be done
Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Banned

Hey that would be my choice, you asked for opinion without giving any hint as to what you prefer.

If graphite makes you feel better then so be it, i like graphite as well but wouldn't mind a fiberglass in a 3wt. Fiberglass rods are a lot better quality then what they use to make 30-40 years ago, and for that weight class i don't really see how graphite will serve you better than fiberglass. I just find it romantic for some reason.

If you can find a scott f2, give it a shake and let me know whAt you think. There are a lot of companies selling much cheaper blanks as well. Make something with your personal touch.

Lornce said it best, buy what you think is right for you.

Asking random questions without any clue as tO what you're after is really hard to answer. There are hundreds of rods to choose from.

Hope you give us an update when you put rod and reel together!

Cheers!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:29 PM

Just made sure the rod and reel balance correctly. Using too heavy or even too light of a reel can turn a nice rod into clunky junk. I like mine to balance about a inch or so back from the front of the grip.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey that would be my choice, you asked for opinion without giving any hint as to what you prefer.

If graphite makes you feel better then so be it, i like graphite as well but wouldn't mind a fiberglass in a 3wt. Fiberglass rods are a lot better quality then what they use to make 30-40 years ago, and for that weight class i don't really see how graphite will serve you better than fiberglass. I just find it romantic for some reason.

If you can find a scott f2, give it a shake and let me know whAt you think. There are a lot of companies selling much cheaper blanks as well. Make something with your personal touch.

Lornce said it best, buy what you think is right for you.

Asking random questions without any clue as tO what you're after is really hard to answer. There are hundreds of rods to choose from.

Hope you give us an update when you put rod and reel together!

Cheers!
Thanks for your input....I do appreciate it.
Yes I will post what I finally decide on....there's no hurry yet....just pre planning for this opening season....but want a quality setup for yrs to come.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 PM

I still fish 30-40 yr old glass rods, for close in work I prefer them.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Banned

Balancing... Does it really matter???

As long as rod/reel size are matched correctly there is no need to balance anything. Unless you're fishing with a certain length of line all the time. As soon as you let the line out it will change the balance of the rod and there are many more factors that will take that balance out of equation. On bigger weight and longer rods 10'^ i can see the point but for 4wt and smaller, 9' or shorter all i want is as light as possible combo. Balancing light gear makes no sense to me, i've tried it and it does not do anything for me. Maybe my views will change with more experience, or age
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

As long as rod/reel size are matched correctly there is no need to balance anything. Unless you're fishing with a certain length of line all the time. As soon as you let the line out it will change the balance of the rod and there are many more factors that will take that balance out of equation. On bigger weight and longer rods 10'^ i can see the point but for 4wt and smaller, 9' or shorter all i want is as light as possible combo. Balancing light gear makes no sense to me, i've tried it and it does not do anything for me. Maybe my views will change with more experience, or age
Balancing is everything....and dats da btm line on dis
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 PM

Matching set, new in box, approximately 30-35 years old. Will likely never be used, and are destined to become a family heirloom.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 PM

Mtn..

The Hardy Marquis was originally sold by Cortland and when they no longer carried it, Hardy keep selling it.
They are a fine reel. Got my first one in 1971 and finally wore it out a couple of years ago. I have <> 10 or so of them loaded from 2>7 wts.
The #4 should handle a DF3 or WF4 just fine. When they were Cortland reels, some of the line guards had chrome plated plastic line guards. The chrome pealed. Something to watch for. The is (was) a repair shop on the Island.
Just bought another #7 for my lake reel series. The price was $120.
Mind you, I also fish Bellingers, Peerless and Marryat reels.
The reels are attached to whatever comes along trout fishing be it bamboo or glass.

Don
Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:

Isn't a correctly matched the same as balanced? Granted balance is more important on heavier slower rods like glass or bamboo where you can feel the action of the tip more when casting.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Balancing is everything....and dats da btm line on dis
Allrighty then!

Taco, i would have no clue about bamboo rods, never casted one.
I totally agree with you, proper size reel for a given rod.

Last edited by jeprli; 04-02-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Matching set, new in box, approximately 30-35 years old. Will likely never be used, and are destined to become a family heirloom.

Lone wolf, that is a sweet set, the Golden Prince has always been my favorite Hardy, you still see those numbered sets on ebay everyonce in a while.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 AM

Beautiful Golden Prince's, that's a great find.

Fishing Regulations
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Lone wolf, that is a sweet set, the Golden Prince has always been my favorite Hardy, you still see those numbered sets on ebay everyonce in a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Beautiful Golden Prince's, that's a great find.
The set was bought new by my father in Ireland, probably in the early to mid-80's as an investment. I inherited them last year when he passed. They have never had a line on them, and probably never will. Destined to be passed down to one of my sons.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Banned

Beautiful set indeed!
I'd have to fish them though,I just couldn't help myself?Treat them with kidd gloves,real bags to and from the river,but I'd at least land a couple of worthy salmon/steelhead on'em before retiring them....maybe that's just me?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Beautiful set indeed!
I'd have to fish them though,I just couldn't help myself?Treat them with kidd gloves,real bags to and from the river,but I'd at least land a couple of worthy salmon/steelhead on'em before retiring them....maybe that's just me?
It has definitely crossed my mind

Steelhead ............ now there is a thought. I have taken Atlantic salmon on the fly, but never a steelhead ....... hmm ........ would love to hear the reel make that sound at least once in its life. What it was made for ...............
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
It has definitely crossed my mind

Steelhead ............ now there is a thought. I have taken Atlantic salmon on the fly, but never a steelhead ....... hmm ........ would love to hear the reel make that sound at least once in its life. What it was made for ...............
Well see,now yer talkin bud!
Personally,I wouldn't use'em for anything else BUT Atlantics or Steelhead,just like John Hardy,HRH The Prince of Wales,and God himself intended them to be used.....classy reels for classy fish.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:21 PM

I have a few of the new ultra lights and I have nothing bad to say about them
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

Georgeous, absolutely georgeous
Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Georgeous, absolutely georgeous
Uhuh....aint nuthin "tinny" bout them.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
The set was bought new by my father in Ireland, probably in the early to mid-80's as an investment. I inherited them last year when he passed. They have never had a line on them, and probably never will. Destined to be passed down to one of my sons.
This is a Hardy Perfect and St. George reels that was passed down to me from my Dad. Again they become more precious as a family heirloom. Mind you there are other brands from that era that I love like Digley's.

Fishing Regulations