Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-30-2009, 04:42 PM

Default Enchant Perch

I finally made it to Enchant again, to check out these thousands of perch. The day started off nice, sunny and fairly warm, with no wind at all. About noon or so the temperature got warm enough that all of a sudden there were fish rising all over the pond. I started with a panther martin, no luck, then a very small Len Thompsen white and red spoon, a couple hits but didnt hook anything. So, I switched to a bobber and fly, since I forgot my fly rod at home. Hooked a couple small perch, so I switched to a bait hook and piece of worm. Had a perch before the splash settled, every cast. I used up my half worm after about 10 fish and decided to try the Gulp maggots I had bought. One lasted me about 40 more perch, then I had to put on a new one for another 30 or so fish. All together I figure 80 or 90 perch in about 3 hours, the biggest maybe 6 inches, the smallest pretty embarassing 4 pound test was way overmatched, I could have gotten away with 1 pound and had lots of strength to spare. Im kind of glad I forgot the fly rod, I would feel kinda funny if someone was watching me use an 8 1/2 foot rod to bring in 3 inch fish
Lots of fun anyways, even if I couldnt catch enough for dinner that I would consider cleanable size.
Its a very small pond, I clocked 1/2 a kilometer driving all the way around it. Lots of geese and a pair of swans to keep me company, other than that I was alone.
Some pics at http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/y...#37;2030%2009/
If anyone wants to catch a lot of small fish this is your place for sure. Fun for kids, and me too, Im just happy catching fish of any size. The colours on these fish was amazing, beautiful and bright.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-30-2009, 07:31 PM

Was there this summer and couldn't keep em off with bits of worms too, but think I'll try that Gulp product next time - if I ever go again. Save some cash. Mind u I can pull monster worms from ma's yard at night but I'm lazy. I managed a couple rainbows while I was there as well, one being 12 inch n the other tiny. A couple of my perch were 10 inchers. First time ever fishin for them - sure r perty Fun little lake for sure, great for swimming n floating around on too
Old 10-30-2009, 07:45 PM

5 or 6 years ago we hauled some monsters out of there in our little boat. Using worms and a jig head.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
5 or 6 years ago we hauled some monsters out of there in our little boat. Using worms and a jig head.
Everyone should catch and kill their limit. Help to bring them back up to size. If it is managed by the community...maybe they can borrow a fyke net next year...
Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 PM

Hey FF, Ive been wanting to set up my own worm farm, and after paying 5 something for a little bag of tiny worms, maybe in the spring I will buy some off you to get started. Ive always wanted to get some of those monster nightcrawlers from Ontario , you could cut them in 4 or 5 pieces for walleyes, could probably make a fortune selling them around Newell. I know when I was visiting a buddies parents in Northern Ontario way back when, we went out at night with flashlights, and got a whole bunch that were up to a couple feet long stretched out. Kinda like wrangling snakes!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-30-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Everyone should catch and kill their limit. Help to bring them back up to size. If it is managed by the community...maybe they can borrow a fyke net next year...
I only got 5 that were barely big enough to clean, maybe on the ice I will do better. I was thinking a couple pail fulls dumped in 12 Mile Coulee would sure do well, but thats illegal so I didnt think about it too long. OK maybe I did but I wouldnt do it for real, much as I would love to have a great perch fishery a bike ride from home

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 10-30-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Hey FF, Ive been wanting to set up my own worm farm, and after paying 5 something for a little bag of tiny worms, maybe in the spring I will buy some off you to get started. Ive always wanted to get some of those monster nightcrawlers from Ontario , you could cut them in 4 or 5 pieces for walleyes, could probably make a fortune selling them around Newell. I know when I was visiting a buddies parents in Northern Ontario way back when, we went out at night with flashlights, and got a whole bunch that were up to a couple feet long stretched out. Kinda like wrangling snakes!
Sure, u could come wrangle as many as u want Their huge(not quite 2 ft - never stretched them out but maybe 1-1.5 ft)and theres tons of them! I do the same usually after or during a good rain. Bring out the flashlight (as dim as u can get), bucket,tred lightly ( i go barefoot), gotta b super fast when grabbing them cuz there super fast too and usually stay half in the ground for quick escape. I can get about 50 in an hr but it's tuff. Believe me, have thought about sellin them
Old 10-31-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Sure, u could come wrangle as many as u want Their huge(not quite 2 ft - never stretched them out but maybe 1-1.5 ft)and theres tons of them! I do the same usually after or during a good rain. Bring out the flashlight (as dim as u can get), bucket,tred lightly ( i go barefoot), gotta b super fast when grabbing them cuz there super fast too and usually stay half in the ground for quick escape. I can get about 50 in an hr but it's tuff. Believe me, have thought about sellin them
Out east they actually have real problems with worm poachers. Guys go into farmers fields at night with flashlights and large RV batteries and run currents. Worms come to the surface. They steal em and run.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:03 PM

I will have to try in my yard come spring, I know we have lots of smaller worms. I remember years back, some Darwinian Star from High River decided if 12 volts was good, 120 volts would be 10 times as good, split an extension cord, wired it to 2 spikes, then watered down his lawn and stuck in the spikes and went out to pick worms. Ended up feeding them instead
I also hear spraying a weak solution of ammonia I believe , on your lawn will bring them to the surface as well, probably the reason all the gulls follow the farmers fertilizing their fields.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-01-2009, 06:53 AM

Default worms

I have a buddy in calgary that does the spikes and extension cord, says it works like a charm, it must we never have a shortage when bottom bouncin..
Old 11-01-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
I have a buddy in calgary that does the spikes and extension cord, says it works like a charm, it must we never have a shortage when bottom bouncin..
Electrical current-wet grass=DEATH your buddy ever hear of Darwin?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-02-2009, 12:53 PM

Default RE: Enchant Perch

Wow its nice to know lots of small perch action at enchant, & really wondering the small pond didnt started to freeze yet, Did you tried all over the pond or any particular place was great?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:39 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that my wife and I were there yesterday, and we got skunked! I'm not trying to go against what Wayne said, but it just proves that fish can be finicky!!! The closest we came to catching something was what appeared to be a small trout. I got it to about 3 feet from the shore and it shook loose.

Here is what we tried as far as tackle: small jigs with power bait grubs and worms. A small berkeley swim bait. A small silver spoon. Small jig tipped with berkeley power bait nightcrawler chunks, and pieces of gulp minnows. And, some small flies with spoons.

Needless to say, my wife was not happy after making an hour and a half drive!!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:43 PM

I just used a plain hook with a Gulp maggot a couple feet below a teardrop bobber, nothing fancy. I fished along the east shore, by the big pile of dirt. I tried jigs and lures too but only caught them on the plain hook. They were biting as close as 5 feet or so from the shore, but there was no wind at all and it had clouded over.
Keljay just tell her thats why its called fishing not catching , then duck and cover LOL Ive driven further than that before and got skunked myself, all part of the fun.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-02-2009, 06:50 PM

is this the lake near brooks kinda with a camp ground?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Lol! I've already tried that line on her Wayne! It doesn't help much that she is a red head!

I forgot to add that I too tried a plain hook with a power bait maggot.

By the way did you happen to lose a bobber?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever View Post
is this the lake near brooks kinda with a camp ground?
Its 500 yards south of enchant. Yes there is a campground as well as a golf course.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keljay View Post
Lol! I've already tried that line on her Wayne! It doesn't help much that she is a red head!

I forgot to add that I too tried a plain hook with a power bait maggot.

By the way did you happen to lose a bobber?
didnt lose a bobber no, I did pick up a few golf balls and a small round bobber tho. I think Im going to try there again tomorrow, supposed to be fairly warm, and not much wind again.
I used power bait maggots in Calgary for whitefish, didnt get anything on them either, I think maybe the Gulp ones taste better or something, not that Im going to test that theory they are bigger then the powerbait ones tho.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-02-2009, 11:54 PM

prob see u out there never caught a perch b4 looks like fun love catching tons of little fish makes the day seem better lol
Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 AM

thats what I always say, doesnt matter how big they are, a fish is a fish, use the appropriate size gear for the fish and you always have fun!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 PM

Lemme know how it goes for u Wayne if u go or have gone again. According to Sun, the perchy fishn may b slow right now. If not, liked to meet u out there for a day perhaps.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:56 PM

check out my new post I may head out there tomorrow again, or maybe the forks, after the dentist appointment first thing in the morning

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-04-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keljay View Post
Just wanted to let you guys know that my wife and I were there yesterday, and we got skunked! I'm not trying to go against what Wayne said, but it just proves that fish can be finicky!!! The closest we came to catching something was what appeared to be a small trout. I got it to about 3 feet from the shore and it shook loose.

Here is what we tried as far as tackle: small jigs with power bait grubs and worms. A small berkeley swim bait. A small silver spoon. Small jig tipped with berkeley power bait nightcrawler chunks, and pieces of gulp minnows. And, some small flies with spoons.

Needless to say, my wife was not happy after making an hour and a half drive!!
http://www.lakesundance.org/PDFs/How...e%20Update.pdf

Read this for tips on catching perch there...the hooks pictured all work great for perch. Fish under a bobber...this time of year perch could be in 6-20 feet of water, so if you can't find them along the shore you will need either a slip bobber or a boat.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:09 AM

Thanks Sundance. I even caught some of these very close to shore, and the trout I caught Tuesday was probably not more than 7 or 8 feet out, in the shallows! I cant wait to try this one thru the ice, maybe I can find their mammas! I woas wondering, do you keep track of the water temperature when the fishing slows down before iceup? Maybe the fish are acclimatizing to the water cooling off til it stabilizes under the ice? Just a thought.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds