Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-13-2014, 11:53 PM

Default Hunter Class

Anyone clear on what 'Hunter Class' is for the purpose of provincial and nationally sanctioned 3-D Shoots?

As I understand it Hunter Class is..
  • No magnification on sight
  • maximum of 4 fixed pins
  • stablizer cannot exceed 12 inches
  • Bow cannot exceed 80#

In other rule books they stipulate 4"vanes, but I cannot find it anywhere in the Canadian rule book. Are the above requirements all I need to be following?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:29 AM

Are you sure about only 4 pins??
Old 01-14-2014, 03:53 PM

you ready for this ...lol

Most shoots use the Archery Canada RuleBook...

Archery Canada Rulebook: http://www.archerycanada.ca/en/judging-and-rules

Which are based on the World Archery rulebook

World Archery Rulebook: http://www.archery.org/content.asp?id=5009&me_id=827

which read in different classe for Hunter class such as "Hunter" and "Open "hunter" "Finger shooter hunter" etc

Here are a few class rules...some are very outdated from when I shot but I imagine they still apply

World Archery 22 November 2012 4-8
22.6. Accessories for all divisions
RESERVED
22.7. For athletes of all divisions the following equipment is not permitted:
22.7.1. Any electronic or electrical device that can be attached to the athlete's equipment.
22.7.2. Any electronic communication device (including mobile phones), headsets or noise reduction devices in
front of the waiting line on the practice field and at any time on the course.
22.7.3. On unmarked rounds any type of range finders or any other means of estimating distances or angles not
covered by the current rules regarding athletes equipment.
22.7.4. Any part of an athlete’s equipment that has been added or modified to serve the purpose of estimating
distances or angles, nor may any regular piece of equipment be used explicitly for that purpose.
22.7.5. Any written memoranda or electronic storage device that may be used for calculating angles, and
distances apart from notes of the athlete’s normal sight marks, the recording of the present personal
scores or any part of the World Archery Rules.
Archery Canada 12 February 2013 4-9
AC 22.7 For athletes of all divisions the following equipment is not permitted – Archery Canada
in addition:
AC 22.7.1.1 applies to all divisions
Sights that project a laser light or other aiming dot on the target are prohibited
with the following exceptions:
A light to illuminate sights may be used in Bowhunter, Hunter, Youth Compound and Masters
Open divisions;
AC 22.7.3.1 Cameras or range-finding devices are not allowed on any of the 3D courses regardless of
use.
AC 22.8 For the Bowhunter Open Division the following items are permitted:
AC 22.8.1 A bow of any type provided it complies with the common meaning of the word bow as used in target
archery, that is, an instrument consisting of a handle (grip), riser which may be of a shoot-through type
and two flexible limbs. It may be a compound bow which is one where the draw is mechanically varied
by a system of pulleys or cams. The bow is braced for use by bowstring(s) attached directly to the
cams, string nocks of the bow limbs, cables or by other means as may be applicable to the design.
AC 22.8.1.1 The peak draw weight shall not exceed:
_ 80lbs for men and
_ 60bs for women;
AC 22.8.1.2 Cable guards are permitted.
AC 22.8.1.3. A brace or split cables are permitted, provided they do not consistently touch the athlete’s
hand, wrist or bow arm.
AC 22.8.2 Attachments on the string such as a lip or nose mark, a peep-hole, a peep-hole ‘hold-in-line’
device, loop, bowstring silencers, etc.
AC 22.8.3 An arrow rest, which can be adjustable. The pressure point of the arrow rest if placed further back
than 6cm (inside) from the throat of the handle (pivot point of the bow) shall be equipped with an
overdraw protection device.
AC 22.8.4 Draw Check indicators, which may be, audible and/or visual.
AC 22.8.5 Bow sight attached to the bow:
AC 22.8.5.1. which may allow for windage adjustment as well as an elevation setting, and which may
also incorporate a levelling device, and/or magnifying lenses and/or prisms and may have multiple pins;
AC 22.8.5.2. which sight points may be a fibre optic sight pin and/or an electric light to light the sight
pin(s).and/or a chemical glowstick. The glowstick shall be encased so as not to disturb other athletes;
AC 22.8.6.4 which must not extend more than 12 inches from the nearest point of attachment to the bow.
AC 22.8.4.5 Multiple sight pins are permitted on all 3D courses at Archery Canada events provided that
they have not been modified to provide an additional means of estimating distance.
AC 22.8.6 Stabilisers of any length and torque flight compensators on the bow are permitted.
AC 22.8.6.1. They may not:
serve as a string guide;
touch anything but the bow;
represent any danger or obstruction to other athletes.
AC 22.8.7 Arrows of any type may be used provided they comply with the common meaning of the word "arrow"
as used in target archery, and do not cause undue damage to targets, faces or butts.
22.8.7.1 An arrow consists of a shaft with a tip (point), nocks, fletching and, if desired, cresting.
Archery Canada 12 February 2013 4-10
The maximum diameter of arrow shafts is not limited in this division.
All arrows of every athlete shall be marked with the athlete's name or initials on the shaft.
All arrows used in any end shall be identical and shall carry the same pattern and colour(s) of
fletching, nocks and cresting, if any.
Tracer nocks (electrically/electronically lighted arrow nocks) are not allowed.
AC 22.8.7.2 Arrows must weigh at least 5 grains per pound of bow draw weight.
Five grains will be allowed for scale differences.
The five grains per pound limit will not apply if the archer’s bow and arrow combination
generates less than 280 FPS of arrow speed.
o When asked to have his equipment checked, a competitor will be
required to choose which way they would like it checked. One way
or the other, not both.
o If the arrow speed is higher than 280 FPS the archer’s equipment
will be subject to the five grains per pound limitation.
o A 3% grace will be allowed for chronograph differential.
It is the archer’s responsibility to maintain their equipment within the rules. Check
manufacturer’s recommendation concerning arrow weight per pound of bow weight. It is
recommended that you do not shoot an arrow weighing less than the minimum
recommendation for your bow.
AC 22.8.8 Release aid of any type, glove, finger tab or other finger protection:
22.8.8.1 which it is not attached in any way to the bow;
22.8.8.2 which does not incorporate any type of electric or electronic component.
AC 22.9 For the Bowhunter Release Division, the same equipment for Bowhunter Open is permitted
except:
AC 22.9.1 Bow sight must be fixed and:
Cross-hair style pins are permitted;;
Circle style pins are permitted if the circles are of one size
Sights must not be adjusted once the range during competition, whether or not the sight can
be moved without the use of tools.
AC 22.9.2 A mechanical release aid must be used.
AC 22.10 For the Bowhunter Fingers Division, the same equipment for Bowhunter Open is permitted except:
AC 22.10.1 The bow must be shot with a, glove, finger tab or other finger protection. No form of release aid is
permitted.
AC 22.11 For the Hunter Division, the same equipment for Bowhunter Open is permitted except:
AC 22.11.1 Bow sight must be fixed and:
No more than 4 pins;
Cross-hair style pins are permitted;
Circle style pins are permitted if the circles are of one size;
Shall not incorporate any lens, whether magnifying or not,
Sights must not be adjusted once the range during competition, whether or not the sight can
AC 22.11.2 Arrows must have screw-in target points.
Archery Canada 12 February 2013 4-11
AC 22.11.3 Only one stabilizer no more than 12 inches long from the nearest point of attachment to the riser is
permitted.
AC 22.11.4 Secondary vibration dampers are permitted:
These may extend no more than 2 inches from the point of attachment;
These vibration dampers are not counterweights and weight may not be added to them.
AC 22.12 For the Hunter Fingers Division, the same equipment for Hunter division is permitted except:
AC 22.12.1 The bow must be shot with a, glove, finger tab or other finger protection. No form of release aid is
permitted.

lol...sorry

Neil
Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 PM

AC 22.11 For the Hunter Division, the same equipment for Bowhunter Open is permitted except:
No more than 4 pins;
AC 22.11.3 Only one stabilizer no more than 12 inches long from the nearest point of attachment to the riser is
permitted.
These vibration dampers are not counterweights and weight may not be added to them.

There is my answer. I thought as much. I don't need to worry about my level and the arrows don't need to be 4" fletch. My bow chrono's 296 and I am well over 6 grains per lb.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
No more than 4 pins;
permitted.

There is my answer. I thought as much. I don't need to worry about my level and the arrows don't need to be 4" fletch. My bow chrono's 296 and I am well over 6 grains per lb.

Thanks.
I was worried then realized the above is for "hunter class" which is different than "men's bow hunter release", I use glue in tip arrows not screw tip and I though dang it!!!!

LC