Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-15-2014, 09:50 AM

Thanks LB. Building a typical flat bow or longbow is ok and fun, but I find some of the more unique and diferent designs are more interesting and challenging. They make good conversation pieces too. One of my favorite choices is a Snakey bow. It is fun to see how surprised people are when they see one shoot.
Pete
Old 01-16-2014, 04:33 PM

Default tillering complete

Well, I tillered it out as far as I dare. Here it is drawn to 30.5" AMO, pulling 52#. It is 46# at 28", so pretty much right where I wanted to be. Arcs are not 100% symmetrical, but limbs are pulling to the same spot, and I'm at my target weight, so I'm tapping out there! Excercised the limbs 100x to a 30.5" pull, with no signs of stress, and no loss of weight, so I think that is promising. I guess the first couple hundred arrows will give me the real feedback.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:59 PM

Got any pics of it at rest after the string is removed? How much string follow?

Looks really good. Should be a nice shooter.

Congrats!!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:19 PM

Thanks!

Here it is with the finish curing (West System marine finishing epoxy). The stave had this amount of natural deflex, and it does not appear to have increased.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:25 PM

NICE job, It should shoot good.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:51 PM

Thanks Pete, your tips were very helpful!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 PM

When I am ready to start shooting and before I cut in my shelf I shoot from diferent positions on the string to find where the bow wants the shelf to be. Then I cut in the shelf, or add it on. This way you can find the sweet spot where noise and vibration/shock is the least. On a very narrow handle I make a teardrop of the same wood or a contrasting wood and glue it on if there is not enough material to cut in a shelf.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:04 PM

Well yesterday was great weather for bow building. the cherry bow was in final tillering when the lower limb failed. There was a small insect hole about 6" up and that was the reason I sinew backed it. I'm not sure if the sinew was heavy enough to prevent the failure. Well back to the drawing board. At least I did learn about sinew. Going to the butcher shop tomorrow to see if I can get some longer tendons for the next one. I also floor tillered the last birch stave I started last winter. Going to sinew back this too. Getting practice in before I try a yew stave I hopefully will get this summer.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:07 PM

Think of it as a learning experience , not a failure. Good quality staves are a must for a good bow.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:53 PM

You bet Pete I learned a lot. I am pursuing some longer tendons for my next batch of sinew.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:04 PM

Invest in a good Osage , Hop Hornbeam or Hickory stave and build a shooter for confidence building.
White woods are easier to learn on , as you don't need to chase a ring. Just peel the bark and the back is done. Both Hop Hornbeam and Hickory will make a great Flatbow and are easy builds, and quite forgiving to small mistakes .
See if there are some other guys that might want to go in on a shipment of a few staves to cut down on costs.
Pete
Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 AM

Sounds like a plan Pete