Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-04-2013, 11:36 AM

Default shooting high with recurve from tree stand

The past weekend I've missed the same 8 pt buck 3x times (clean miss) with my recurve at 11 metres (2x) and 22 metres. I've practiced from a treestand at these exact distance and it seems i have to aim at least a 1.5 feet low at 11 yards, and 8 inches low at 20 metres.

I'm shooting instinctively and I think that's the problem - my brain won't allow me to aim off the hair of the deer even though I consciously try.

Any other thoughts to help me shoot this buck besides getting on the ground.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:45 AM

If I could guess your anchor point is changing when shooting down hill? Install a no peep!!

LC
Old 11-04-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If I could guess your anchor point is changing when shooting down hill? Install a no peep!!

LC
no assistance allowed on the recurve !!!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
The past weekend I've missed the same 8 pt buck 3x times (clean miss) with my recurve at 11 metres (2x) and 22 metres. I've practiced from a treestand at these exact distance and it seems i have to aim at least a 1.5 feet low at 11 yards, and 8 inches low at 20 metres.

I'm shooting instinctively and I think that's the problem - my brain won't allow me to aim off the hair of the deer even though I consciously try.

I don't think I can actually help you out as I have not been shooting a recurve very long but can you actually call it shooting instictively if you are actually aiming. When shooting instictlvely isn't it like throwing a ball. Focus on the point where you want the ball (arrow) to go and let it go. No aiming with arrow tip or parts of the riser. Maybe just try concentrating on your spot rather than trying to aim.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:41 PM

Default shooting high with recurve from tree stand

i don't know how you hold the bow, (canted or straight up or down) but it sounds like you may be applying too much pressure to the bottom of the grip(heeling the bow) with the heel of your hand. this can cause you to shoot high when shooting at a steep angle either uphill or downhill..

it could also be you are not focusing on where you want to place the arrow and instead are looking at the whole animal, or the horns.. try to focus on the smallest place on the deer that you can see and don't look at anything else, not always the easiest thing to do.. as Howard Hill used to say "pick a spot and bore a hole through it"

just my 2 cents worth

straight shooting.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35Whelen View Post
i don't know how you hold the bow, (canted or straight up or down) but it sounds like you may be applying too much pressure to the bottom of the grip(heeling the bow) with the heel of your hand. this can cause you to shoot high when shooting at a steep angle either uphill or downhill..

it could also be you are not focusing on where you want to place the arrow and instead are looking at the whole animal, or the horns.. try to focus on the smallest place on the deer that you can see and don't look at anything else, not always the easiest thing to do.. as Howard Hill used to say "pick a spot and bore a hole through it"

just my 2 cents worth

straight shooting.
thanks - I'm definetly not looking at the horns.

I'm canted 20 degrees.

On the third miss, I tried to look (and aim) low and concentrate on a spot below the deer, but I think in the heat of the moment i instinctively move it up onto the deer.

don't think I'm heeling, but I'll double check my form in the tree stand. I usually like more weight on my leading foot to avoid this.

When I shoot on flat ground, I'm grouping well out to 20 metres, consistently (without using aiming references - just the "sight window").
Old 11-04-2013, 04:34 PM

I used to do the same thing with my recurve, shooting instinctively.

When shooting from a tree stand, or any elevation above the quarry it is imperative to aim low. But it is hard to do when there is hair / fur in the sight 'window'!

How I 'cured' myself was to hang a tennis ball from a branch, the ball representing a deer's heart, and learned to shoot below it. Actually I hung a few up at different ranges out to 20 yards from the base of the tree the stand was in. I can tell you that broadheads do a number on tennis balls .
Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 PM

bend at the waist.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
bend at the waist.
x2000.. simple , whether recurve or compound you gotta bend .Good luck , we're awaiting photos .
Old 11-05-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
bend at the waist.
Yep! What Pete said. If you don't bend at the waist your form will change and that is causing you to shoot high. Unfortunately this is probably something you will have to practice til it's instictive since it's really hard to remember in the heat of the moment.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 AM

Also are you using ARC...or a rangefinder that caculates that?
I have a stand that reads 40 yards with a range finder or with my guesstimate range...however my new rangefinder with bow arc reads 33.5...A 40 yd guesstimate would be high...

Neil
Old 11-06-2013, 08:32 AM

Default Treestands

Shooting instinctively from a tree stand ain't easy as you think. Start by bending at the waist as Pete rightly says. Now consider that your shot looks longer and your depth perception is also messed up by being up the tree. So I a nutshell....shoot lower! When you're on the ground look around and determine how far some trees etc. are from the bottom of the tree and when you're up the tree you can try and remember that. Also if you see an animal beside a tree look straight across and see how far the tree looks at the stand height, shoot for that range not for how far it seems. Also keeping your stand a bit lower will help, none of this 30 feet up a tree stuff will help a lot.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 AM

Old school rule...aim low - miss high lol

Neil
Old 11-07-2013, 06:26 PM

I wish you were all better instructors and I was a better student .....

missed again.

I even took three practice shots from the stand and was a tad high on the first 2 and hit the mark on the third.

having fun though...try again tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I wish you were all better instructors and I was a better student .....

missed again.

I even took three practice shots from the stand and was a tad high on the first 2 and hit the mark on the third.

having fun though...try again tomorrow.
Grab the bow with the training wheels

LC
Old 11-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Grab the bow with the training wheels

LC
no way, I am not giving up.

Here is my plan now:

Do not draw on the animal.
Draw as if my target was 20 ft high as well, then bend at the waist and shoot low.

Just a tip I picked for good old dad.

Last edited by BigRackLover; 11-07-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:14 PM

I don't understand the concept of aiming low. I shoot my recurve instinctively and I aim at the spot I want to hit...always. Never low or high or left or right, that would make me miss by a mile. I pick a spot and concentrate hard on that spot, the rest is automatic. The arrow goes where you look, be precise. Keep it simple.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickflicker View Post
I don't understand the concept of aiming low. I shoot my recurve instinctively and I aim at the spot I want to hit...always. Never low or high or left or right, that would make me miss by a mile. I pick a spot and concentrate hard on that spot, the rest is automatic. The arrow goes where you look, be precise. Keep it simple.
I am new at this ... still learning and getting the automatic feeling down. It is probably my form when shooting out of a treestand. I will practice again tomorrow.

Many people have told me to aim low because deer duck.....heck they even duck on my compound shots.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Yup, that's the problem. Your not shooting instinctively once you start to consciously aim. The two styles do not mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickflicker View Post

Exactly. Regardless of distance or angle, the mind subconsciously does all the calculations when shooting Instinctively. Focus on where you want the arrow to hit and release.
It is So simple.

BRL,
I understand the problem you are experiencing, you have lost the trust factor critical to Instinctive shooting with this shot. Perhaps the best solution if you want to continue shooting instinctively is to Practice that shot. Set up a target, get in the tree and practice until to trust your instinctive form again, focus on the target, ignore the arrow tip.

I had the same conscious "aiming" issues overtake my instinctive technique when shooting at very close range, less that 5 yards. My first year of hunting with a recurve and previous to this hunt I had not shot the bow at 3,4,5 yards. Big mistake. I missed several Pronghorns at less than 5 yards because I allowed my mind to see the arrow tip well below the animal's brisket and didn't trust the shot. I "Aimed" the arrow up a bit and put 4 arrows over the backs of 4 bucks in one day.

My solution was to practice at very close targets and build the same trust (and not seeing the arrow tip) that I had with my shooting at further ranges.

Can't wait to see the buck you get!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:08 PM

I'm up to 9 clean misses ..... haven't lost faith.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
You are a better man then I am.

I would have snapped that bow in frustration across my knee after the 4th-5th time.

Keep at it. I want to see a pic of this critter you keep missing.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:05 AM

Perhaps my moustache is interfering with my anchor point.

Donate here and I'll shave it off so I can post a deer kill pic.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Are you doing the same thing over and over expecting a diferent result ??
Old 11-16-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Are you doing the same thing over and over expecting a diferent result ??
No, trying different things. Shot underneath a buck today ....didn't pick a hair in the heat of the moment.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:24 PM

With this many misses perhaps it is time to change equipment, and leave Traditional bows till next fall , after you get more practice with them. Sooner or later those clean misses will become wounded losses.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
With this many misses perhaps it is time to change equipment, and leave Traditional bows till next fall , after you get more practice with them. Sooner or later those clean misses will become wounded losses.
or kill shots.

Quiting now will accomplish nothing and all will be lost. Believe me, I've contamplated it, but it's hard to give up when I'm shooting well at stumps from the tree stand.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:48 AM

Then get down from the stand and use a ground blind.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Then get down from the stand and use a ground blind.
no thanks.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
petew is correct. If you cant get a clean kill stop shooting at a live animal and practice more. find out what the problem is on a target not a live animal. This will only end up with a wounded animal running around with an arrow in it. As bow hunters we do not need arrows in animals running around. Gives us bad names
Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbarker View Post
petew is correct. If you cant get a clean kill stop shooting at a live animal and practice more. find out what the problem is on a target not a live animal. This will only end up with a wounded animal running around with an arrow in it. As bow hunters we do not need arrows in animals running around. Gives us bad names
x2 its not worth it to keep hunting in this manor the animals that give their life for us deserve a swift and respectable death and if all your doing is tossing arrows on a hope you shouldn't be hunting at all