Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-31-2013, 12:14 PM

Default Apa or diamond

I'm currently looking for a first bow for my 6 yr old son. But I'm looking for one that he can use as he gets older (one that adjusts draw as he grows). The two that I've narrowed it down to is the apa rattlesnake and the diamond infinity. What recommendations can you guys give me for either, any opinions are greatly appreciated!!! My son has been shooting a bear for the past year just looking for something that he can use more and eventually for hunting once he's old enough.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:47 PM

Default Diamond infinity

I recommended the Infinity for any kids looking for a boy in our archery club. This bow is very adjustable in both poundage and draw length. The bow is also a very manageable size for smaller shooters. Many of the kids in our club shoot these bows and we have had no issues. I think the Diamond Infinity is a great bow for the money.
I wish this bow would have been around when my kids started shooting. I have spent slit of money upgrading there bows over the years.
I can't comment on that particular apa because I haven't seen that particular model but I have had other apa bows and they are good bows.
Good luck and it's good to hear your child enjoys shooting.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 PM

My son is 16 , 6"0 tall and still shooting his Diamond Infinite
Old 12-31-2013, 01:13 PM

My son is 17 and he shoots a pse bow madness., great bow.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:14 PM

Default Diamond Infinite

It will grow with him and be a great bow. My ten year old took his first whitetail with his infinite last fall. An absolutely great and versatile bow for a youth.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:46 PM

I have 3 kids shooting compound bows right now. My 12 year old son just upgraded to a Diamond. It's an awesome bow. My only concern with it for a 6 year old is that it may be a bit big and heavy for him.

My 2 younger kids shoot Bear Apprentice bows, this is smaller bow but still has great adjustability goes up to 60lbs. So it will work for hunting. Bow like the diamond and mission craze are on the large size for a 6 year old.

The APA is nice as is the Hoyt Ruckus. If you are in or near Calgary I think that the Calgary Archery Center has most if not all of them and your boy could shoot them to see what fits him best.
Good Luck, finding a bow to fit from 6 years old to 12 or older is no simple task, but not impossible with the bows on the market today.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:49 AM

I agree that the infinity is probably to heavy for a 6 year old. My son is 6 and I got him the diamond atomic. This bow is still very adjustable and high quality but the perfect size for smaller kids. I think it only goes up to 30lbs so I plan to get a larger bow like the infinity or craze when he is about 10.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
I agree that the infinity is probably to heavy for a 6 year old. My son is 6 and I got him the diamond atomic. This bow is still very adjustable and high quality but the perfect size for smaller kids. I think it only goes up to 30lbs so I plan to get a larger bow like the infinity or craze when he is about 10.
X2

My Son has the atomic and it's a great little bow for the smaller kids.

LC
Old 01-01-2014, 10:29 AM

My wife shoots the Diamond. Think it would be great for kids big range to adjust draw weight.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
Atomic is a good option for a 6 year old. I just saw a Hoyt Ruckus Jr the other day
http://www.hoyt.com/compound_bows/details/ruckus+jr
And it looks like a other excellent option for young archers!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:21 AM

Might i recommend having your son try both to see what suits him best at this time. Any good pro shop should let you try before you buy. All bodies are built different as well, what might work for one will be different for another no matter price or hype.

My son has a Bear Brave (bought last year, he is 8). He is not strong enough to pull an apprentice etc.. as well he has a take down recurve. I didn't push a stronger bow on him as he shoots more and is loving it right now having fun. If he gets to frustrated he will walk away, be embarressed and not pick it up again.

Both brands are really decent that you are looking at. Prices vary, but the feel is the biggest thing.

Happy shooting!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 AM

Both bows are nice but I would lean more to the apa I have one and love it and the fact that its a Canadian company makeing it's name in such a hard market just is more of a reason. My 1st bow ever was a dimond and I still have it to and it still shoots good got a few p&y criders with it
Old 01-04-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold85 View Post
Both bows are nice but I would lean more to the apa I have one and love it and the fact that its a Canadian company makeing it's name in such a hard market just is more of a reason. My 1st bow ever was a dimond and I still have it to and it still shoots good got a few p&y criders with it
I agree with the Canadian comment! Even though I shoot a Mathews, If I were to buy a second bow i'd go with APA to support a Canadian Company. Plus they are really nice.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:14 PM

love APA bows but it is too heavy for a 6 year old kid. My son started a 7 with a PSE because the APA was too heavy and draw weight was a bit too much to manage. He will get the rattler as soon as my daughter is stong enough to pull her brother's bow.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 PM

Thank you everyone for your comments, options and past experiences! I'm so glad that there is a forum like this that people can turn too for information, ask questions and do a little bragging! Once the purchase is made I will post the result! Just saving a few pennies right now, ok a lot of them!!!! Thank you everyone, happy new year and good luck! Shoot straight ya'll
Old 01-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Banned

My wife has a Diamond Infinite Edge. She loves it but my 8 year old son, who is big for his age and very active, finds it heavy. He's shooting the Bear Apprentice. We've put a couple of things on his Bear to make it better but he'll be shooting it for some time yet. Unless he sprouts up to where the bow is physically too small for him.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:32 AM

Love the versitility of the APA rattler...your youngster at 12yr will be able to handle the Rattler...and it will grow with him into hunting if that is the plan...

its fast light and very adjustable...

JMHO
Neil
Old 01-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K born View Post
Thank you everyone for your comments, options and past experiences! I'm so glad that there is a forum like this that people can turn too for information, ask questions and do a little bragging! Once the purchase is made I will post the result! Just saving a few pennies right now, ok a lot of them!!!! Thank you everyone, happy new year and good luck! Shoot straight ya'll
Good luck in your searching and saving.

I was at an archery shop today and while taking a break from shooting was eyeing up some of the youth bows. The Rattler that I saw goes from 20 to 60 lbs. Unless you have VERY strong 6 year old that you want to have shoulder issues there is no way I can see 20 lbs being a go. My 10 year old daughter who is a healthy sized girl pulls 17 lbs. If it was my dime, getting spent on a compound bow for a 6 year old I think I would be going for a bow like a Hoyt Ruckus JR or Diamond Atomic. The big draw back is that it max's out at 30lbs so would be a no go for hunting. With a child as small as 6 I think that getting a bow that is a good fit and will get them into hunting might just be too tall of an order to fill, but it will last them until they are 10-11 then upgrade to a bow capable of getting over 40lbs (The Rattler, Diamond Infinity, Mission Craze). The good news is that youth bows in decent shape sell super fast.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 PM

Default bow

i would go with the rattler. i have shot these bows they shoot very well!! a very good bow to let any youngster learn on and they can grow into it and apa is a canadian company that makes as good a bow as you can buy!