Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-25-2014, 11:55 PM

Default Elk obsession, suggestions for 410

24 years ago, I saw my first elk. An hr later Mom caught her innocent little 4 year old tying a flint point to a stick. 8 empty elk tags, 3 pairs of hunting boots, several close encounters, more physio, rehab and workouts than u want to think of, and no elk.

Saturday night. F socializing. No food for 3 hrs so I don't puke. Cardio till I wish I could. Coffee, maps, and AOF. I'm gonna kill an elk this year.

Decided to go back to where it all started, regularly see elk there on summer fishing trips. clearly my previous (farmland and bush) spots didnt produce. I've read every elk thread from the past 6 years, and some have been quite helpful. I've got the following figured out: Canmore f&w for maps. Scouting and GPS mapping in summer. Experienced with gutless and packing heavy loads long distances. Light packable treestand. Shooting out to 50 yards. 100% confidence in my gear. Working on my calling.

Questions for the guys who have done this hunt:
I'm guessing the elk will vacate open season areas rather quickly, my plan is to be there a week before the season and pick the best escape trail to setup a treestand. I've picked a couple ambush locations based on topo maps. How quick do they move, and do they move into town or over the mountains into other zones?
Expect problems with locals or hippies?
Is it legal to cut/trim shooting lanes in a wildland park? (Google gave me nothing)
Anything else?
Old 01-26-2014, 11:03 AM

I would skip the treestand unless you have located an active wallow/waterhole.

Let me ask: how many "close calls" have you had in 6 years? Are you seeing elk? Are they responding to your calling? Are you hunting solo? Are the elk hanging up too far away? Are they spooking when you start to draw?

FWIW, it is not uncommon to go 5 years between animals with the bow. Keep at it and it will happen.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post

Let me ask: how many "close calls" have you had in 6 years? Are you seeing elk? Are they responding to your calling? Are you hunting solo? Are the elk hanging up too far away? Are they spooking when you start to draw?

FWIW, it is not uncommon to go 5 years between animals with the bow. Keep at it and it will happen.
All good points and questions. Unless you have a solid travel route I prefer to hunt elk on the ground when possible, and from a ground blind not a tree stand so you can get mobile fast if you need to.

LC
Old 01-26-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
All good points and questions. Unless you have a solid travel route I prefer to hunt elk on the ground when possible, and from a ground blind not a tree stand so you can get mobile fast if you need to.

LC
Thanks, I'm hoping to scout for a solid travel route, figured it to be more likely to occur in the mountains? I know the elk are there and they will be moving. Seems like they are always headed in a predetermined direction and call back, but keep going. So I plan to be in front of them. the ones in 410 will be avoiding hunters, so that narrows it down(?) Always solo, schedule dictates that wont likely change. Close calls about once in 2 weeks. They either respond but don't come in, or hang up where it's too thick to shoot. I find them every few days but can't get in front of them cause theres no distinct travel routes in the bush, they just go wherever. Mobility seems to be the suggestion, ill keep that in mind.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:04 PM

Hunting Elk or any animal for that matter from a tress stand has a lot of limitations. How far can you shoot with your bow, lets say 50 yards. So you limit yourself to this when hunting from a tree stand and as LC has indicated not ideal, especially for Elk.

The elk will not travel back and forth under your stand hourly and probably travel to and from bedding to feeding areas, so your opportunities are greatly diminished from a stand. This is not to say elk aren't killed from tress stands.

Assuming you're hunting the rut, I would hunt from ground and pursue. I rarely call if the elk are calling. If they're calling I attempt to get myself as close as possible to the herd or to the elk. I'm always on foot and keeping the wind in my favour. They usually travel from feeding area to bedding areas. With the exception of rutting bulls searching out cows for their harems.

Its nice if there are two of you, one calling and one setting up for the shot. Again, keeping the wind in your favour.

Not sure about the terrain you hunt in, but here, they seem to gravitate to the nastiest piece of land they can get to use as bedding.

In the prime of the rut, do not restrict your hunting to mornings and evenings. Some of my success has occurred mid day, especially when you're close to a bedding area and the rut is in full swing.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:57 PM

i would agree with the other posts, stay on your feet! The best learning material i found was from www.elknut.com Paul has some great stuff that will get you a long ways!
Hunt hard,expect success
Dan
Old 01-27-2014, 09:01 AM

Back in the day we used to hunt the big islands on the river very close to Canmore, there was always elk there, only draw back was the wade across the river...geeez it was frosty for sure and it was both ways ...lol

Stratagy was to still hunt, moving slow and cow elk calling occasionally, it came together and we got successfull

It will come, time in is the biggest factor and learning the terrain, movements etc...unfourtunately we usually learn from our mistakes ...so keep at it..

Wish you the best...

Neil
Old 01-27-2014, 08:45 PM

Do you have a rough idea of what herd you are after? As far as I know, the Canmore herd had its bigger bulls taken out last year - One from hunting, two from traffic. I think (and hope) they will see some interest from some junior bulls from the Banff herd moving in. Not sure how much breeding there is across the park boundary, but there has to be a little, I would think. Otherwise Kananaskis herd is probably the best bet for next year if you are after a nice bull.

Not sure if you are interested, but I am going for elk in 410 as well, and would look into partnering up for a few of the days out. It sounds like you might have a better grasp of the elk than I do (it's only my 3rd season after elk, and the other 2 seasons were in 408).
Let me know, I am out scouting pretty regularly, and have a few cams set up here and there. Even if you just want to compare notes! Drop me a pm sometime if you are interested.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 AM

Thanks for answering the questions I asked.

Since you will (most likely) be bow hunting solo, I would suggest a few things:

Get a Montana decoy. Can really help draw bulls in and hold their attention, creating a better chance for a close shot.

If no decoy, really pay attention to where you are calling from. Specifically, what is an elk going to see if he comes in to your call? He will be looking for an elk, an if he sees nothing in an area he should be able to see an elk, he will hang up. It helps to call from a thick patch of Christmas trees.

Easy on the bugling. Bulls are often careful (read sneaky/hesitant/cautious) when responding to other bulls (bugles). Cow call instead.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for answering the questions I asked.

Since you will (most likely) be bow hunting solo, I would suggest a few things:

Get a Montana decoy. Can really help draw bulls in and hold their attention, creating a better chance for a close shot.

If no decoy, really pay attention to where you are calling from. Specifically, what is an elk going to see if he comes in to your call? He will be looking for an elk, an if he sees nothing in an area he should be able to see an elk, he will hang up. It helps to call from a thick patch of Christmas trees.

Easy on the bugling. Bulls are often careful (read sneaky/hesitant/cautious) when responding to other bulls (bugles). Cow call instead.

this^^

and when you get in a conversation with a bull....Keep moving!...your gut will tell you to hold tight and let him come in but that's almost a sure way to have them hold up just out of your shooting lanes.

bulls will just about always try to circle to come in downwind of your calls. so after you call try to move downwind a bit so he has to step on you to check out the cow that was just calling him.

ive buggered up too many sets to count by not moving enough...scared to make a noise...but listen to how much noise elk make as they move...its ok if you make some of your own.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
ive buggered up too many sets to count by not moving enough...scared to make a noise...but listen to how much noise elk make as they move...its ok if you make some of your own.
Lol, I have had more hunts go sideways because:

Didn't move ahead when calling;

Moved ahead when calling;

Bugled too much;

Didn't bugle enough;

Cow called to much;

Didn't cow call enough;

Cow called too loud;

Calling without being 100% ready for a response;

Calling without considering the terrain / cover / light direction;

Etc, etc.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM

Default Elk obsession

410, is probably one of the worst areas to hunt elk. They do exist but there are many safe areas that they can hang out in, couple that with granola munchers walking all over the place and you'll get the idea.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Lol, I have had more hunts go sideways because:

Didn't move ahead when calling;

Moved ahead when calling;

Bugled too much;

Didn't bugle enough;

Cow called to much;

Didn't cow call enough;

Cow called too loud;

Calling without being 100% ready for a response;

Calling without considering the terrain / cover / light direction;

Etc, etc.
Yep, that about describes my luck as well. I forgot about the decoy, thanks. the one thats a cows rear seemed to be the least likely to spook them? I've seen a bull stare at the full body one but he knew something wasn't right. Probably was out in the open too much, should have had it partially tucked into a tree.

What calls (sounds and brand/type) do you guys have the best success with? Personally I've always had the best results with hoochie mama and sceery, single lost cow call then listen.