Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-12-2019, 01:49 PM

Default Night fishing walleye

Looking for some info. I’ve night fished for walleyes in the spring and summer a fair amount but never in the fall. Any big differences? Same spots? Same lures? Any info or opinions welcome.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:27 AM

As far as I know the only time you can fish walleye at night anymore is during ice season.

That being said I used to fish them all the time at CV before they changed the rules to day light hours only. Used to find them in 20FOW used a black jig with leach and they would just attack it. The later you get into the fall the more agressive the bite.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:01 PM

Try a smaller leadhead jig, no rubberbody, with a 1.5 to 2 inch minnow hooked through the eyes. A smaller leadhead gives the minnow a more natural action. The colder the water gets the slower the presentation. Bottom bounce. Some of the biggest fall walleye have the lightest bite. I've fished the NSR as late as Oct. 31 and fished long after the sun went down with good success.

My tip of the day for late fall river walleye is find a beaver house along a shoreline and fish near it. Beavers need access to at least 5 or 6 feet deep of water to maintain their feed piles during winter. Don't fish too close to the house because there could be some snags on wood. 15 or more feet away from any feed piles. The feed pile might look like a few sticks on the surface but can be large underwater. The downstream side of the feed pile creates a current breaker or slack water for the fish to hang around. Baitfish, crayfish and other fish edibles hang around active beaver houses.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 10-13-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:50 PM

You can still fish them at night if you pick the right places as I am as I type. We usually use slider rigs and big minnows from dusk untill the wee hours. Cast into some deep runs if you are river fishing at dusk or dark and hold on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
As far as I know the only time you can fish walleye at night anymore is during ice season.

That being said I used to fish them all the time at CV before they changed the rules to day light hours only. Used to find them in 20FOW used a black jig with leach and they would just attack it. The later you get into the fall the more agressive the bite.