Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2012, 11:42 PM

Default Ice fishing rant!!!!!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting rather tired of all the LAZY fishermen on this site(where to go perch fishing around edmonton? how do I get to ______? where's the best perch lake? etc.). Seriously guys, how hard is it to go scout out the lakes that are in your own area? Whatever happened to looking at a map and simply going to check out the lake and see what the fishing is like all on your own.

In the last couple years, there's more and more people going to the same fishing holes, and soon, very soon, there is going to be less and less fish. I'm tired of every lazy tom dick and harry on here looking for the easy answers. Get off your *****es and figure this stuff out for yourself!

So you're lucky enough to be told where a great lake is.... don't post a thread on here asking for the directions to it, when you simply need to go onto google maps and type it in. Guess what happens when you do that? A nifty little map shows up showing you exactly how to get there!! Fancy that!

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with helping a fellow out now and then, or taking them out to where I fish... but enough is enough, go out and do some leg work. I know that I myself have gone to lakes and checked them out....found out there's not much there, but at least I can say I've done the leg work needed! I've also had the times where I've gone out and found a lake that's a hunny hole.... and guess what!! There's NOBODY else out there, hardly ever!! So for that lake my leg work paied off ten-fold....

Please people, PLEASE do some work yourselves... that's what this sport is about(it's called fishing not catching for a reason), it's not just the amount of fish you catch, but it's finding that spot that works best for you, that nobody else really knows about... and how are you going to find that spot?? You guessed it!! DO THE LEG WORK.

So before you post any new threads on here, maybe you should think to yourself... am I just being a lazy fisherman? And is that how everyone on here will see me?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 PM

Ok Im gonna agree with your post partly . And not cuz I know you . Its one thing to ask for directions , Updates on conditions then its another to practically beg for fishing spots . Ive said it before and im sure ill say it again . The Internet has made fishermen / hunters lazy . Its so easy to hop on the god box and see where everyone is catching fish or filling there tags , etc .

Im not going to knock this because with the forums and information is a good thing , gives lots of advise and so on . But what happened to the days of venturing out and finding the fish rather then posting . Personally I no longer answer those posts anymore .
Old 01-24-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubber View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting rather tired of all the LAZY fishermen on this site(where to go perch fishing around edmonton? how do I get to ______? where's the best perch lake? etc.). Seriously guys, how hard is it to go scout out the lakes that are in your own area? Whatever happened to looking at a map and simply going to check out the lake and see what the fishing is like all on your own.

In the last couple years, there's more and more people going to the same fishing holes, and soon, very soon, there is going to be less and less fish. I'm tired of every lazy tom dick and harry on here looking for the easy answers. Get off your *****es and figure this stuff out for yourself!

So you're lucky enough to be told where a great lake is.... don't post a thread on here asking for the directions to it, when you simply need to go onto google maps and type it in. Guess what happens when you do that? A nifty little map shows up showing you exactly how to get there!! Fancy that!

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with helping a fellow out now and then, or taking them out to where I fish... but enough is enough, go out and do some leg work. I know that I myself have gone to lakes and checked them out....found out there's not much there, but at least I can say I've done the leg work needed! I've also had the times where I've gone out and found a lake that's a hunny hole.... and guess what!! There's NOBODY else out there, hardly ever!! So for that lake my leg work paied off ten-fold....

Please people, PLEASE do some work yourselves... that's what this sport is about(it's called fishing not catching for a reason), it's not just the amount of fish you catch, but it's finding that spot that works best for you, that nobody else really knows about... and how are you going to find that spot?? You guessed it!! DO THE LEG WORK.

So before you post any new threads on here, maybe you should think to yourself... am I just being a lazy fisherman? And is that how everyone on here will see me?

I completely agree with u. Well said.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:

x2 that's how i did it,when i first moved here from the Island i got up looked at maps, read some books and went to explore and found some great places to fish, don't mind helping people out, but if people keep asking dumb questions i may not respond, get up go out and have some fun.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 AM

Fully Agreed!
I like to call it a Adventure! and check new lakes!
you gotta wonder why people call em Lake X and Lake Y!

E for Effort!
Old 01-25-2012, 01:26 AM

Ok, I'm going to have to disagree with you a little bit on this one. There are a lot of people who don't get a chance to go fishing more than a couple of times a month or are new to the sport. For those people asking where a good spot is could mean the difference between a great trip that encourages them to go more and grow the sport of fishing and a trip that leaves them feeling unsatisfied. As well, what is really the difference between the good old 'asking the guys at "The Fishin' Hole"' where the fish are biting and asking on a forum? And what percentage of people ice fishing on lake X really heard about it on the Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum? I'm guessing it's not that high. My completely speculative opinion is that most people hear about new spots from friends and acquaintances, not online forums.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 AM
Banned

Exploration is by far my favorite part.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:43 AM

As a relatively new fisherman (other than as a child), I can vouch that it can be tough trying to learn the good places to fish. Also, many people might not have a buddy who can show them the ropes.

That being said, I have never made a post on here asking for a lake to fish at. Just from growing up, I already knew of most of the lakes around me and what kind of fish they had in them. The ones that I didn't know much about were found through maps and regs. The regs will tell you what fish are in the lake and a map will show you how to get there. From there you just pick a spot and throw a hook out. If it doesn't work, you move on to the next spot/hook. Before you know it you are hauling in fish.

One of my favourite experiences this summer was in Waterton. My girlfriend and I were camping there and we hiked a few kilometers to a nice lake that we had never been to before and caught little Brook Trout all evening, just because we asked someone at the tourist booth if there were fish in it. Hiking to the lake and the scenery there was just as fun as trying to find the fish. At the end of the day, we had a blast. And it was all due to nothing more than a little outdoors exploring. A few weeks later we made a full day trip to 3-4 of the lakes around Pincher/Beaver Mines (we had never been to any of them) and just made the best of it. We ended up with about a dozen fish that day and she had a blast. Days like that sure turn them on to the sport and make them want to go out more. But again, it was simply taking a shot in the dark at first.

As a side note, while I think that it is kind of rude to reply to someone's question with "use the search function"... I also have to admit that at least 95% of the information regarding lakes and techniques that I have acquired from this forum has been found using the search function. In fact, it has even inspired me to plan a Golden Trout trip this summer thanks to a couple hours of reading searched threads.

It's really not that hard to do some work for yourself. It's one thing to ask where a guy can buy a lottery ticket at, but it's another to expect the winning numbers.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 AM

Yup agreed for the most part some people are too lazy to look, but it because they are not true outdoorsman! They are part time outdoorsman who want the honey but dont wanna find the beehive.
I searched and stuff completely blind, no friends to ask, not from the province, so yes read maps, barry mitchel a bit, and backroads map, and invest the time. Then I found this forum and it has been an amazing wealth of information and is an awesome tool! Has increased my knowledge so much there is no word to describe it, love the info on here but I do respect the effort others put in and feel rude trying to pry that info out of people, and be ummm "lazy".

2 cents.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:16 AM

Agreed, giving tips on what to use and what depths to fish at should be enuf to get anyone started. As far as finding where to go to fish in my opion is 75% of the fun, its called getting out side and exploring!!!! I moved to Red Deer 11 years ago, and i have found 2 or 3 spots that i can call my own (it took me all 11 years to find them). Fishing is not Fishing if some one else does all the leg work for you, i don't know what you call it but it is not fishing.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 AM

If you go to a new city and ask someone where city hall is, do you expect them to get high and mighty and tell you to buy a city map and search it.

I have the time and resources to do the leg work and try different spots so I do but a lot of people dont. Some of them have real lives and families who take priority (I don't know why).

If you don't like reading about people asking where lake x is then don't read the posts.

What I don't like are those snotty fools who get on here and say I got a million perch, all over 6 pounds at my secret spot but I wont tell you. Fine don't tell but keep your story to yourself instead of sounding like a little kid saying na na na nana or my dad is bigger than your dad.

Oh by the way - where are the perch?

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 AM

Best advise
Get a "BERRY MICHLES" guide ( yes the spelling is probably wrong), watch the forum, and use google. Just my two pennies.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 AM

Default Rant

Isn't the whole point of this forum to guide and assist each other?

New equiptment / techniques / what works and what doesn't work / Lakes that are bitting / ice conditions or water conditions / etc.

If we are going to have a personal " RANT " the POSTS that I dislike, are the ones showing an nice harvest of fish & then want you to guess what lake they were caught.

Again I thought the point of this forum was to help / assist / and a place to talk and discuss about the sport of fishing.

But perhaps I'm wrong ( very Possible )
Old 01-25-2012, 08:49 AM

There is a party at CROSS LAKE and you're invited!!!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
There is a party at CROSS LAKE and you're invited!!!!!
Can you send me directions please?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting rather tired of all the LAZY don't post a thread on here asking for the directions to it, when you simply need to go onto google maps and type it in. Guess what happens when you do that? A nifty little map shows up showing you exactly how to get there!! Fancy that!
I'll 100% disagree with that statement. I don't believe anybody has to give up "their" hole or lake, but not giving directions basically comes down to being a *****. I wouldn't want to drive out to a lake only not to be able to find a boat launch. Or to find out the boat launch isnt capable of handling my boat. Take Wabamun for example, this site has helped ppl find launches, which launches are in disrepair, and little launches that big boats can't use but places where ppl can launch their dinghy. I'm pretty sure that info has made the difference in an enjoyable day or a terrible one . Google maps doesn't show everything.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Exploration is by far my favorite part.
X2, Honestly I could care less if I catch fish as long as the trip is fun. The great part about fishing is the adventure required to find fish! Whats the fun in going to a lake thats "hot" and sit out there with 100 other people pulling in fish after fish.....not as fun as finding some body of water on a map and finding a way to get there, and maybe even tossing a line in. Thats how a buddy and I found one of our favorite trout holes....would I give up the location? Heck no, if people want to fish they need to put in the effort!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:29 AM

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 AM

Personally, I enjoy helping others out if I can, although it might be through PM rather than making a public post. I've also had some board members help me out with things that I've asked about. That doesn't make me lazy, some people are willing to share, others, not so much. Karma.... what goes around comes around.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Lol, the little things that get people on here SO pi$$ed off.... [sarcasm]OMG, someone asked a question on an online forum designed for sharing information... How disgusting... This is an outrage!!![/sarcasm]. Lol

I have an idea, instead of getting all bent out of shape over what you described above.... Ignore them and move on with life... If you don't want to help others on here, that's fine, but getting so mad about people asking for help is completely ridiculous IMO.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 AM

I dont think that way. If asked I give directions, Depth charts, gps what ever I have. Done it many many times. I lend out my gear if needed etc etc. Yes I do keep a few spots to myself. Made some good friendships this way and in turn have been helped out when I needed it. Thats what this forum is all about.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Banned

Cool

I am torn on this issue,I have no time for a spot troller, some one looking to gather easy info on where, when,or how to fish a particular lake.but I have all the time in the world for some one new to our sport or a family guy with little time to get out on the water. I give my info to those folk freely.I ask they fish as a would, limiting there catch as I do.leave the area as you found it and such.I dont give up my sweet spots to any body even friends that may not fully appreciate the experience given.I give or receive a pm try to figure out who im sharing info with and edit the info acordingly.if some one comes across as inexperienced I give all the help I can.a more experienced angler, I give direction to the lake, a depth that should put them on the fish,but not much more.ogre pmed asking to join us on the lake, he is an able angler but had little experience with perch.we put him on the fish, showed him the proper methods,gear, bait and such.his full disclosure was given my full effort.one of my friends is displeased that I even mention burnstick on the form,his thoughts that half of calgary will eventually show up.my thoughts are lessons from the military make sure you give the information to the correct people,so you know what they know.if I see evidence of my help being used in a manner I feel is improper.then no help will forthcoming from that point forward.I have my own scotsmans creek, those I deem skillful,respectful,helpful enough may get a pm invitation to join me on the water.at this point I can think of perhaps 3 members that even come close to my high standards.yet I undrstand this could br the death toll for my favorite spot one misplaced comment, one misjudgement in whom I chose to join me.a section of water I hold near and dear to my heart will be lost. knowledge is power,ignorance is bliss.I believe I will help those that need help and nudge those that dont. my two bits.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post

Is that Sylvan Lake in the background?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 AM

hey with $1 a litre fuel and limited time the whole point is to help each other out and trhow a guy a bone once in awhile...

If you don't want to provide information then don't....

If you are kind enough to provide information then good on you...

It is fun to explore but hey if a guy is new to the area or wants to take the kids out to a lake where they will have fun catching fish then great...

I understand not wanting to give away a good fishing hole, but if a guy is looking for perch... most lakes I have seen with perch are stunted because there is not enouh predation!.... so if a guy is looking for a perch fishing place... best thing we can do is help them out...

maybe I should start a rant about selfish selfrighteous bastards....

I get Barry Mitchell's guide and have read the forestry trunk road fishing guide and understand how much flak these guys have gotten for just providing good information...
Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Gone Hunting

I know this is my first post on alberta outdoorsmen but ireally really like you guys.
My grand dotter just turned four and sshe wants to go icefishing For BIG perch.
She's toom little to go by herself so i'm taking her.

I can't be bothered to ever post here to help someone because I'm too busy shooting stuff, but I really like this baord and the members. I don't have time to read any of the posts in the fishing forum or serach for stuff, cause I'm too busy shooting stuff.

So if you know of a place with BIG perch withing 15 minutes of Edmonton, Let me know. I don't have time to drive farther cause I'm busy working and shooting stuff.

BTW she only wants perch over 13 inches. She can almsot eat a whole one herself.

thansk for the help. BTw will there be someone there to lend me an auger?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Banned

I break it into two categories,,, those trying and those who don't,, I'll give tips on here but that's it now. But for those maybe new to the Province, out there driving in circles, Ill give them a nudge via a PM,, but you know some of those driving in circles are going to find the best fishing.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I know this is my first post on alberta outdoorsmen but ireally really like you guys.

I can't be bothered to ever post here to help someone because I'm too busy shooting stuff, but I really like this baord and the members. I don't have time to read any of the posts in the fishing forum or serach for stuff, cause I'm too busy shooting stuff.

So if you know of a place with BIG perch withing 15 minutes of Edmonton, Let me know. I don't have time to drive farther cause I'm busy working and shooting stuff.

BTW she only wants perch over 13 inches. She can almsot eat a whole one herself.

You need someone to help you drive the Black Dually!....
Old 01-25-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Great example, this sort of post I wouldnt even give the time of day too. But I'm kind of on the fence with this whole thread, Iadmit if I get asked by someone who's posted 1000 times on AO I'm probably going to help them out just becasue with that many posts it's likely they too have helped someone out along the way. There a few that definately wake up in the morning wih the sole intention for setting some sort of post record usually filled with useless information I won't name names

And I will almost always help a guy out if he pm's me with a reasonable question.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:

That's brilliant and oh so true .
Old 01-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Gone Hunting

I made the post tongue in cheek of course. but it rings true for some who have posted here especially this year it seems.

As many who have asked me for info regarding things I'm familiar with I sure don't mind helping someone out, but like most people I don't want to be taken advantage of.

Make some effort and I'll help.Try to take advantage and you'll be SOL.

This is like potluck dinner. Put something in and take something out.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand