Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-23-2009, 01:29 PM

Default Has the bite slowed down

Went out this weekend and it seems like the bite has realy slowed down.
Water temp is down about 10 degree.
How has it been in other lakes ?
Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 PM

it seems they just arn't moving around lately had no luck for 3 days at star and cardiff on saturday nothing but perch. Sadly cardiff has lost about 1 and a half feet of water and has really thined out the lake.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:35 PM

The fishing in Chain was on and off all day. Only 5 small rainbows between us.
Actually for a full day of fishing and into the early evening I would say it was rather slow.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:06 PM

Where are you fishing Need directions I live in Morinville
Old 08-23-2009, 06:19 PM

I was on a Southern Res. and the water temp was 20.8C. The Pike fishing was slower than normal but the Perch were biting crazier than I have ever seen on this lake in years and years. I was rigged with a large jig with a Gulp Leach for Pike and the perch kept going after it. Caught and released some nice fat Perch.
Dodger.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:44 PM

It's pretty rare that lakes are at their peak bite in August. I don't really ever recall trip from the past that featured phenominal fishing during this month. Usually picks back up in early September though.

Like dodger said, though, I did notice that perch are still aggresive as ever if you can find them.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:19 AM
sheephunter

Fished Pigeon yesterday and went through the normal 4+ tubs of minnows. We fished primarily in 5.5-8 feet of water and the walleye were really stacked in the weeds. It did take us all day to catch 12 fish under 43 cm. but we caught loads over that mark and several over 50. Overall, fishing was very steady.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Banned

[but we caught loads over that mark and several over 50. Overall, fishing was very steady.[/QUOTE]

over that mark,, what,. di you put a great big x on the bottom of the boat so you could find that good spot again next time heheh
Old 08-26-2009, 07:36 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadedFisherman View Post
[but we caught loads over that mark and several over 50. Overall, fishing was very steady.
over that mark,, what,. di you put a great big x on the bottom of the boat so you could find that good spot again next time heheh [/QUOTE]

LOL...no, it was pretty typical of a summer day on Pigeon. I'm sure we could have done as well in a hundred spots on the lake.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
It did take us all day to catch 12 fish under 43 cm.
All day??? Obviously you need to work on your tiny walleye technique.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:15 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
All day??? Obviously you need to work on your tiny walleye technique.
LOL...no kidding...damn stupid big fish!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 AM

Smile

August ... Also known to fishermen as the 'Dog Days of Summer'. The warmer waters make the fish go 'doggo'. Come September things will pick up and we can get some decent fishing in before the snow flies. Anyway, even if they aren't biting it's still great to get out on the water or down to your favorite creek.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:47 AM

Calling Lake has been great last friday but Saturday and Sunday it was very slow , well maybe due to the winds on Saturday...,
believe it or not some folks on Friday had been catching eyes using pickles...
Old 08-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph1 View Post
believe it or not some folks on Friday had been catching eyes using pickles...
Well who doesn't?

Fishing in general has definately slowed since late July (with a few hot-bite blips) but that doesn't mean fish can't be caught. Just have to sift through your tackle and bait and cater to them more.

A couple of weeks and the bite will be back on in most places anyway.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:13 PM
sheephunter

Fish like walleye actually feed more during the summer months than any time of the year. The big problem is that they spread out and are not concentrated like they are in the spring and fall. They are still very actively feeding, you just need to be more mobile than you were earlier in the year. Truthfully, July and August are likely the easiest months to catch walleye as they are feeding so much. So many old wives' tales surrounding walleye that so many people believe that prevent them from catching fish. There were loads of boats at Pigeon yesterday but we were the only ones in 5.5 feet of water. By the looks of things, we were the busiest landing fish. Cover water, go where the feed is and summertime walleye are easy.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Fish like walleye actually feed more during the summer months than any time of the year. The big problem is that they spread out and are not concentrated like they are in the spring and fall. They are still very actively feeding, you just need to be more mobile than you were earlier in the year. Truthfully, July and August are likely the easiest months to catch walleye as they are feeding so much. So many old wives' tales surrounding walleye that so many people believe that prevent them from catching fish. There were loads of boats at Pigeon yesterday but we were the only ones in 5.5 feet of water. By the looks of things, we were the busiest landing fish. Cover water, go where the feed is and summertime walleye are easy.
I still tend to boat a whole lot more fish when I can anchor on a hot-spot and fish a jig or slip-bobber (in June) vs. troll. And when I fish walleye in August up north, I always end up trolling as.. like you say.. they're more spread out.

Don't get me wrong .. it's fun and reasonably productive. I just don't have any 80 or 90 walleye days doing it ... catching 10 or 15 eyes after 2-4 hours of trolling makes it -feel- like the bite has slowed down (no wives-tales involved) even if it hasn't. Maybe I just suck.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:33 PM
sheephunter

LOL....don't think you suck and often it is a case where the fish are so spread out that you don't do the same numbers as you can in the spring but I've had plenty of 100+ fish days in August too trolling bottom bouncers and spinners. I guess my point was that the bite really doesn't slow in summer but the fish spread out more and that anchoring technique that was so hot in June may suck in August, leading some people to believe the bite had slowed. Sounds like you've got it figured though.