Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2013, 04:37 PM

Default Koocanusa lake fishing

Hey fellow AO members, I have recently found out that I will be headed out to Lake koocanusa for some camping and fishing. I was wondering what speices they're are in the lake and which ones are the most easily targeted. Also what some good lures/bait is to catch the fish. I will be on the montana side if that helps. Thank you and I look forward to your responses.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:55 PM

Kokanee use a willow leaf tipped with 2 red maggots. Troll at 2.9 mph early season they will be south closer to the dam
Old 03-24-2013, 06:09 PM

Kokannee, Bull Trout, Lake Trout, Cutthroat Trout, Rainbow Trout, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Northern Pike, and more.

Supposedly the bucket brigade stockings have really spiced up the fishery and at the same time destroyed the ecology.

Was really surprised how fast Kokanee like a fly to be moving before they'll strike.

Have fun.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 PM

Thanks ksmitty for being detailed about the speed. Is it still possible to catch them away from the dam as I will be located more in the middle of the lake? And any tips on how to catch the rainbows? Also how deep should I fish for the kokanee?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 PM

It more depends on the water clarity. In the spring they tend to be more south as the water has time to drop the sediment. It just depends on the runoff. I put about 60 ft of line out and the willow leaf will run at about 20 ft I reckon
Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 PM

So I dont need a downrigger?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyez View Post
So I dont need a downrigger?
No ............You can set up a mooching sinker (an in-line banana shaped sinker with a swivel on each end) in front of your willow leaf, dodger or fender set up and with a snubber (rubber tube) and trail a hot pink apex 1.5" about 24" back to achieve a nice depth if needed.

I will run a 1 or 2 oz in this set up.

For rainbows - I use a mid sized coyote uv flasher and trail either a spoon, 3" apex, hoochie or even a lyman plug.

You can run this off a dipsy diver if you don't have or don't want to use your rigger.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 PM

Sorry for my poor explanation. I use a 2 oz weight
Old 03-26-2013, 01:44 PM

My best luck for rainbows there was a willow leaf trailed by a white flatfish with red spots on it, near the cliffs about a mile or so below the bay where the Elk comes in. I've heard of a lot of people fishing up by the bridge but I've never had a lot of success there.