Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-07-2019, 09:58 PM

Default Cuba Fishing

Heading to Cuba for a holiday ( Varadero) is it worth going Dep sea Fishing ?
Been once before there 10 plus years ago and dint catch a thing not sure if it was just a day or not a good place to fish??
Any opinions appreciated
Thanks
Old 02-08-2019, 10:09 AM

Sometimes you catch, sometimes you don’t. Just got back from Mexico and we got two Sailfish, 90 and 110 pounds. Out of roughly 40 boats on the water from the marina that day we were the only one to catch fish.

On that note, I’ll always pay for a deep sea trip for a day. If fishing is slow, ask to be taken in shallow to a reef and do some inshore fishing. Snapper, pargo, grouper, triggers, etc will keep you busy, and if you’re in the right spot you can dive for rock lobster and they will usually cook it for you on the boat.

Also don’t rule out shore fishing. Varadero has awesome shore fishing and you can catch some big fish right from shore off the rocks and the beaches, and in some of the canals and bays. I’ve hooked some monsters in the mangroves.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:35 PM

Default Lagoons

I was not too sure of trying offshore as rumours are the fish are few and far between. I scored some shrimp and got a taxi ride down the road from my hotel to a lagoon. I dont remember the name of the hotel I fished in front of. Take a drive towards the end of Veradero and look for areas to fish. I caught a few including a nice red snapper. Not huge but nice. Did not fish long and landed 4 or 5. A few more bites. I had fun. Still fished it with bait. BEL
Old 02-10-2019, 11:20 AM

Just so everyone knows, Cuba is one of the best places on earth for Tarpon fishing in the flats. People come from all over the world to fish there. It's very seasonal but worth the trouble of checking it out.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:34 PM

If you have your heart set on a billfish go off shore. Generally long hours of trolling during the off season for a billfish or chance at one. Having done quite a bit of it I would recommend inshore. Catching your own bait or buying it in the morning. Head out and hopefully lay into a bunch of jacks, snapper, grouper.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frigpig View Post
Just so everyone knows, Cuba is one of the best places on earth for Tarpon fishing in the flats. People come from all over the world to fish there. It's very seasonal but worth the trouble of checking it out.
I fished with my kid for Tarpon in the Bay of Pigs. It was awesome.

PCFGA on Facebook