Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 02:05 PM

Default Cabo Mexico

Hi all,myself and my wife will spending 10 days in Cabo in April. Would anyone have a contact for Fishing Charter service. I have looked online and there quite a few and have read some good and bad reviews. I would like to charter just for the two of us for an 8 hour day. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:10 PM

We went with redrum. I broke my foot first day in mexico and the day of fishing trip there was a time change? Lol. So we hobbled in an hour late... they had a broken boat so we had to take the 30 ft luxury boat!! 2 outdoor queen size beds on the rear with plenty of drinks and food. Just layed there until "fish on"!! awesome crew, got 4 black marlin and a few mahi mahi. Trip of a lifetime. Would definately recomend redrum
Old 02-15-2019, 02:56 PM

I went a few years back and we just walked into the Marina on our first day and negotiated with a boat captain / rep for a trip later in the week. We ended up going for the boat called Top Gun and figured we couldn't go wrong. Looking online just now, I see the outfit can be found on this site:

https://cabodiscounttours.com/sport-...sport-fishing/

Great experience, got drunk, caught Marlin and Mahi Mahi, but to be honest we were passengers on the crew's fishing trip. Once the fish is caught they hand it over for you to reel it in on the big chair which admittedly is pretty exciting still. I thought the Sea Lions on the back of the boat and Pelicans begging for any left over bait on the way in was pretty cool too. It's really impressive watching these guys spot the Marlin and floor the boat to get in front with a targeted bait throw.

I don't get sea sick normally, but this area can be pretty choppy and it's well advised to take some pills for it even if you're usually good. Plus you'll get the unique Mexican experience of being up-sold in the pharmacy.

I can't remember how much we paid, but I remember it being very reasonable across the 5 guys who went. I remember after we haggled enough and finally reached a price, someone in the group said "and that includes 2 girls from the strip club on the boat too". The cap responds no and then throws out a price to make it happen. That's what I love about Mexico, it's never no, it's just how much.

Anyway enjoy your trip to Cabo, the place is a blast! Don't forget to check out Mango Deck for some good beach side entertainment.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:04 PM

I will second Redrum. I landed a 155 lb striped marlin back in 2012, picture in my photo album here. Great outfit.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-15-2019, 03:24 PM

Might be worth checking out Big Country Adventures. The former owner of Big Country Pipeline owns it and splits his time between Calgary and Cabo. I'll be going to Cabo the last week of March and into early April and will likely sneak away for a little fishing if I'm lucky.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I will second Redrum. I landed a 155 lb striped marlin back in 2012, picture in my photo album here. Great outfit.
X3. I didn’t go but the boyfriends of two girls we met went. They came back and raved about it. They went SE of Cabo. But it was rough seas
Old 02-15-2019, 06:11 PM

Default Just got back

but I had to bail on the fishing expedition because of the fractured ribs I didnt think I could fight a large fish for an hour. Never mind if the sea got rough at all.
One of the guys from Crowsnest had it arranged for 4 fishermen to pay $150 each which I thought was quite reasonable.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:47 PM

Go down to the marina and have a look. Don’t get sucked in by the third party bookings from your hotel. Found a local tournament guide and booked him. Caught 3 marlin and filled the boat with dorado. We were out 30 some miles and it was a full day trip. Real good.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:05 PM

We're heading there April 10 th or so, got a couple fly fishing days booked. Buddy booked it, I'll find out with who
Old 02-15-2019, 09:52 PM

I’m here now. Riu Baja California.
Head home tomorrow.
We fished 4 days ago through Silverados, chartered the boat Cowboy.
The guys tried very hard, managed a 60lb mako and a bunch of amber jacks.
Definitely worth it and would go with them again.
I will also second not to book through the resort.
Walk down to the marina, grab a beer and watch the boats come in from 3-5pm
Old 02-15-2019, 10:39 PM

Was just there in mid January, no clue what I was doing, walked by many “almost free” places, saw red rum, thinking it was a rum store went I t o check it out. A sweet fishing place not being pushed down your throat! Asked prices and boat sharing. They had ability to share a boat, got lucky had two Americans Come in an hour or so later looking to share. 17 tuna on our trip, and we quit because we had enough. I brought 30 lbs home! Awesome all around experience! Not cheap but to me worth it!
Old 02-16-2019, 06:07 AM

What are you wanting to fish for? Marlin and Tuna or more inshore species like Roosterfish and caravelle? As fun as Marlin and Tuna are, you are not going at peak season. Yes you can still catch the odd marlin but not like in November. You are starting to get closer to high season for roosterfish which are a fricken blast to catch. You go out in panga's and look for fish boiling on the surface near shore. You then bomb over there and try to get a cast into the middle of them, then just hold on.

Unless the wife and I are vacationing somewhere where Marlin, tuna and mahi mahi are in the high season (which for the most part our Canadian winters don't coincide with that unless you get down towards panama, etc) we go out for the inshore species. Much more action, great fights and usually a lot cheaper charter. If I were you, that's what I would be doing down in Cabo when you go.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:02 AM

Used to go yearly for a week starting the 3rd weekend in October.

Right after the Los Cabo Bill Fish Tournament.

First couple trips used RedRum and Pisces.
Got into the marlin with both.

While walking the marina one evening I bumped into an old timer sitting on his boat.
We got to talking.

Talked marlin and sailfish aboard his boat.

After some barter came up with a price for a trip the next morning.

He sent his grandson to pick me up at the resort with a skiff, bait and licence purchase and we were off as the sun was rising.

4 marlin, 1 sailfish and a boat load of Dorado for the day.
On the way in we had a chin wag on pricing for the remainder of the week.

Once we got back to the marina I went and pulled out the cash to cover the charter for the remainder of the week.
Next was a rip to walmart for a 75 series cooler, enough bud light to fill it and brought it down to his boat and paid him for the remainder of the week.

The fishing was great boating blue, black and striped Marlin, Sailfish, Tuna and Dorado.

We fished amongst the other charters for 1/3 the price for the week.

We kept some Dorado which he took home, rubbed in spices and grilled over a fire. He brought it back the next day to eat on the boat.
I supplied the fresh buns amazing sandwiches.

I used Rafael and his grandsons for week long charters for years.
Got a call that he had passed just after New Years in 2012.

Haven't been back since but if I do go back I will walk the Marina again looking for a captain and crew.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:42 PM

Default Cabo

I second outofbounds comments. I've always been a figure it out when we get there kinda guy.
Check out the prices all around the marina, if they don't come to you, its very easy to book a charter. I went to the far side less travelled, lots of people offering charters. Ask to look at boat and once comfortable with a guy your good to go.
Lesson learned buy extra bait on your way out in morning.