Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2018, 05:33 PM

Excellent thread --- I am a reader of the history of the old west. This is an interesting read on the rise and fall of the Comanche. They had a major controlling influence in Texas and Oklahoma - across the Llano Estacado (Staked Plains) and down into Mexico.

Empire of the Summer Moon --- by SC Gwynne. This was a finalist for the Pulitzer prize and is an very good read on the conditions as the frontier was winding down. The focus of the story is on Quanah Parker - 1/2 Comanche - 1/2 white ---- pretty amazing on the story and how he adjusts his persona to the changing times he is forced to adapt to.

Not a book I am giving up. Added to the collection.

Note: I have some original Zane Grey's (poor to average condition) written in the style of frontier language --- very different in what sold then to now.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:00 PM

Awesome thread indeed

I grew up with no formal reading and learning skills till I reached my 40's

Reading is now one of my "many" favorite past times.

Lots of outdoor articals, hunting, fishing, old cow hand stories, and more difficult readings.

It will be a life time picking up on this English language thing that most folks have,,, lucky for those that learned reading and writing skills at a young age. I'm proud of everyone that has this ability to under stand this stuff.

I hope I get the chance to expand in the reading arts since it has opened doors to a new way of life I only dreamed about back then.

Thanks for this thread and ideas everyone.

Don
Old 08-21-2018, 07:24 PM

Loved Edgar Rice Burrough's Tarzan books when I was a kid too.
~~~~~
An interesting read of a whole other realm... I read these a few years ago and I did enjoy reading them. The writer did actually apprentice with the Yaqua shaman/sorcerer from 1961 to 1965. The first book was originally written and presented as a master thesis in Carlos's anthropology degree.

Carlos Castaneda's The Teachings of Don Juan.
3 books : The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge, A Separate Reality and Journey to Ixtlan.

In the teaching's, Don Juan Matu uses hallucinogenic drugs and mysticism to help Carlos understand a 'non-ordinary reality'. . The books are written about Castaneda’s visions while he was tripping. While in an altered state of mind induced by jimsonweed, smoking magic mushrooms, and consuming peyote Carlos learns from Don Juan.

Don Juan told Carlos...
"Only he who challenges and defeats the four “natural enemies”—fear, clarity, power, and old age—can become such a man. He recommends “a path with heart.” All paths lead nowhere, he says, but those with heart make for a joyful journey."

Carlos wrote...
"My books are a true account of a teaching method that Don Juan Matu, a
Mexican Indian sorcerer, used in order to help me understand the
sorcerers' world. In this sense, my books are the account of an on-going
process which becomes more clear to me as time goes by. "

Scholars are undecided if the books are non fiction or fiction. You decide.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 08-21-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:48 PM

I've seen a lot of good mentions on historical works on pioneers, and western type histories. I figured I'd throw in one of my favorite historical reads of all time, The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote. It's a 3 volume set, and while I was recovering from a triple hernia surgery a few years back, that is what I read. Every day. For a couple of months.

It's a fabulously researched and we'll written history, there is so much information about so many historical figures, both military and political. If you ever wanted a first hand glimpse into the mind of Jeb Stuart, or 'Stonewall' Jackson, General Lee, Abraham Lincoln, Quantrell and his raiders...its all there and so much more. Once you start, you will be drawn in, truly fascinating stuff on one of the most formative times in American history.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-22-2018, 05:21 PM

Recently finished The Last of the Mohicans. Will have to watch the movie now with Daniel Day Lewis as I somehow missed seeing it to this point. Takes a little while to get used to the 17th century language but it's easy to understand, a great read and some good insights into early Canada.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:18 PM

Just finished: Blackwater. The rise of the worlds most powerful mercenary army.

Was good until the author’s biases and political leaning caused him to start using loaded critical language and openly trying to connect alt-right dots.

But overall an insight into how they got going, etc. Take it as a “How To” book and you can get past the authors opinions.

Anybody want me to send it to them...PM me.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:37 PM
Banned

My son and I just started reading the hobbit together before his bed time. This is a very special copy, the book came with a case and both are done in forest green and gold trim. I forgot my last copy at my fishing hole under a tree. When I went to pick it up again about a month later it was gone? This is not a high traffic area and have never seen another person there ever. It probably reaked like skunk so I doubt a animal ate it
Old 09-04-2018, 02:26 PM

Well, I figured I'd bring this up again with something a bit different, not a book, but a short article explaining The Left. I found it quite interesting. A quick read, some good thoughts in it.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/35347...-dennis-prager

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-04-2018, 05:47 PM

Recently finished listening to Unhinged by Omarosa Maigault-Newman. Another account of madness in the White House. I've listened to a few books on the subject now, and this one is in the same vein. Let's just say this is not Ronald Reagan's Whitehouse. Much of what is covered in the book may be coming to a tv screen near you shortly. Enough said. 3 stars out of 5.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Recently finished listening to Unhinged by Omarosa Maigault-Newman. Another account of madness in the White House. I've listened to a few books on the subject now, and this one is in the same vein. Let's just say this is not Ronald Reagan's Whitehouse. Much of what is covered in the book may be coming to a tv screen near you shortly. Enough said. 3 stars out of 5.
I have to admit, I just pre-ordered Bob Woodward's new book, 'Fear: Trump in the Whitehouse'....he is such a fantastic journalist imo, even though I don't always agree with him. This one looks to be a good one. Comes out September 11.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I have to admit, I just pre-ordered Bob Woodward's new book, 'Fear: Trump in the Whitehouse'....he is such a fantastic journalist imo, even though I don't always agree with him. This one looks to be a good one. Comes out September 11.
I will be buying it as soon as it comes out. Woodward is an excellent journalist and author. His accounts of the Bush Whitehouse and the Iraq War are well worth the read.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2018, 08:09 PM

Most recent for me was “the subtle art of not giving a ****” by Mark Manson. Bit of a self help book for those of you/us who get stressed and over-function. I found it incredibly funny and useful.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
Most recent for me was “the subtle art of not giving a ****” by Mark Manson. Bit of a self help book for those of you/us who get stressed and over-function. I found it incredibly funny and useful.
Now that sounds like a good read! I just downloaded it! Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:55 PM

^^^ didn’t realize the word would be blanked out, sorry. Glad you found it! I’ve been thinking about getting a kindle. How do you find it is on your eyes? I love reading paper books - they don’t strain eyes like a phone or computer.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
^^^ didn’t realize the word would be blanked out, sorry. Glad you found it! I’ve been thinking about getting a kindle. How do you find it is on your eyes? I love reading paper books - they don’t strain eyes like a phone or computer.
I absolutely love it. I have the paperwhite edition, you can adjust the backlight setting infinitely. Keep it low when reading at night, doesn't bother the wife reading in bed, turn it up high in bright sunlight. Very easy on the eyes. Adjust font size, take and keep notes, hi light feature, dictionary/translate/wiki feature so for those times you come across a word you want to define or have clarity on, or translate, or maybe a person's name you want bio on...very handy. Battery goes a long way too. And, you can download an immense quantity of classic literature for cheap, and new releases for a good deal less than paper format. It has enabled me to read more, not less. Love it!

Old 09-05-2018, 05:29 PM

Oh, I like this. Some of my favorites - Ernest Hemingway's collection of short stories is great. All Fishermen Are Liars by John Gierach is very good. Bill Heavey is awesome, my favorite book of his is If You Didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I just Eat? - it will make you laugh and hit you in the feelers. The best thing I like about these is they are all collections of short stories so they take you on all kinds of adventures. If you have never read Hemingway's short story "The Short Happy Life Of Francis Macomber" or "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" and you are an outdoorsman, stop whatever you are doing and read them right now, please, for the love of God.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:12 PM
Banned

Every night before bed I read a book to my son. I try and mix it up a bit to keep it interesting and fresh. For tonight I picked an old classic of mine entitled The first book of camping by E.C. Janes. The inscription in the front says it belongs to suchnsuch elementary school lol. Looks like I forgot to return it some 35 years ago why I still have this book? Who knows but I wish I still had my Star Wars collection over some old books but the toys I sold went to a great cause. A big bag of pot

When we are done reading it and I have the time I’m finally going to return it to the school😁 what can I say I’m a slow reader lol.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:30 PM

Ok, I just want to come clean here, among friends....

I wrote the op-ed piece for the NY Times about the Trump White House.

Don't tell Don......

Old 09-12-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Finished reading it last night, I also quite enjoyed his humorous style, and there were some good things in there for sure.

I read his abridged version of 'Romeo and Juliet' to my daughter, who tends to have unrealistic views on romance and love. She laughed...

And I just started on 'Fear: Trump in the Whitehouse', came out yesterday. So far a fun read!

Old 09-12-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Finished reading it last night, I also quite enjoyed his humorous style, and there were some good things in there for sure.

I read his abridged version of 'Romeo and Juliet' to my daughter, who tends to have unrealistic views on romance and love. She laughed...

And I just started on 'Fear: Trump in the Whitehouse', came out yesterday. So far a fun read!
I just started too. Woodward has more credibility than anyone in the Whitehouse. Interesting read so far. A headshaker.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I just started too. Woodward has more credibility than anyone in the Whitehouse. Interesting read so far. A headshaker.
I suspect by the time I'm done, I will have laughed, cried, and wished it hadn't become part of me. Or my universe.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:41 PM

Critical Thought - Buckminster Fuller
7 Story Mountian - Thomas Moore
Catcher In the Rye
The Little Prince
Hemingway
Red Lights on the Praires
Kruppenstall
A Course in Miracles
Old 09-12-2018, 09:36 PM

Just read Call of the wild again. It was free on google play, and I downloaded it on my phone. I do prefer reading a book over using my phone, but this was a nice break from typical social media/online shopping.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:24 PM

Well, I just finished Bob Woodward's book 'Fear:'....pretty much confirms what anyone watching the gong show at the White House might suspect....and then some. Great read, if a bit frightening. Anyway, I need to go do some light reading for a while to get past this ..maybe time to give Marcus Aurelius' 'Meditations' another read.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:50 PM

listing every book I have read over the last half century would probably wear out my keyboard. There have been many ranging from Outdoor books to Books about the Vietnam conflict western's to SF and SFF.

A few of worth to look up.

In the Wild theme. Albertan Author.
Jack Ondrack's Big Game Hunting in Alberta Lots of Historical hunting pictures and information.

SFF Mallazan Books of the Fallen.
Canadian Author Steven Erikson. Series of 10. 700 to 900 page books perfect for the long November nights in camp. Warning not for the UN dedicated easily distracted/confused casual reader.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Well, I figured I'd bring this up again with something a bit different, not a book, but a short article explaining The Left. I found it quite interesting. A quick read, some good thoughts in it.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/35347...-dennis-prager
In my opinion he nailed it, it's why we have elevated animals to human value. We need to feel a purpose, we no longer have children so have made our pets and our environment our gods. Sad state of affairs.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-16-2018, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Loved Edgar Rice Burrough's Tarzan books when I was a kid too.
~~~~~
An interesting read of a whole other realm... I read these a few years ago and I did enjoy reading them. The writer did actually apprentice with the Yaqua shaman/sorcerer from 1961 to 1965. The first book was originally written and presented as a master thesis in Carlos's anthropology degree.

Carlos Castaneda's The Teachings of Don Juan.
3 books : The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge, A Separate Reality and Journey to Ixtlan.

In the teaching's, Don Juan Matu uses hallucinogenic drugs and mysticism to help Carlos understand a 'non-ordinary reality'. . The books are written about Castaneda’s visions while he was tripping. While in an altered state of mind induced by jimsonweed, smoking magic mushrooms, and consuming peyote Carlos learns from Don Juan.

Don Juan told Carlos...
"Only he who challenges and defeats the four “natural enemies”—fear, clarity, power, and old age—can become such a man. He recommends “a path with heart.” All paths lead nowhere, he says, but those with heart make for a joyful journey."

Carlos wrote...
"My books are a true account of a teaching method that Don Juan Matu, a
Mexican Indian sorcerer, used in order to help me understand the
sorcerers' world. In this sense, my books are the account of an on-going
process which becomes more clear to me as time goes by. "

Scholars are undecided if the books are non fiction or fiction. You decide.
Those Carlos Castaneda books (1st 3 especially) are some of the favorite books I've ever read... they really affected my view of the world.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:48 PM

Just finished the "Silo Series" by Hugh Howey. Sort of a post apocalyptic story with a twist. I enjoyed it. I followed that with Louis L'Amour's "The Walking Drum". It was his only departure from his westerns and is set in 11th century Europe. Definitely a rollicking and entertaining historical fiction book, albeit with an over the top hero. Still very entertaining, just disappointing that he died before finishing the two planned sequels. First L'Amour book I've read in 30 years or so.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:57 PM

I just downloaded a couple more Thomas Sowell books to read, after the Federalist Papers...though I think I'm going to de pressurize for a bit and read Forrest Gump in between. Loved the movie, one of my favorites, heard the book is very good but different so figured I'd give it a whirl.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:23 PM
Banned

Here is one I really enjoyed...
Sailing Alone Around the World (audiobook)
by Joshua Slocum
https://archive.org/details/sailing_...und_librivox_1

Here is another good source for audiobooks (mostly Librivox books)...
http://www.loyalbooks.com/genre/Non-...e%20and%20more!

Finding books read by good readers is the trick, here are some...
https://www.learnoutloud.com/content..._narrators.php

Last edited by drhu22; 09-27-2018 at 05:36 PM.