Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2015, 09:18 AM

Default fshing east side of slave lake/roland on the river

my motherinlaw rented a cabin at roland on the river, ive never fished slave in the summer only the winter and never on the east end. is it worth launching my boat on that end of the lake? any pointers? do I need to fish the walleye deep? jigs? I usually troll divers for walleye in 8-15ft
Old 08-22-2015, 09:56 AM

Fishing should be good on the east end this time of year.

Try around Dog Island. Or head towards Widewater or Canyon Creek and find the drop off and you will find the fish. They should be pretty deep by now.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:57 AM

Jig and a minnow once your on the right part of the shelf and your good to go.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Banned

Be careful leaving the river. It is shallow water for quite a way out. Stay along the white, nearly invisible channel markers on the left. Once clear, steer east-north-east and fish along "the beach". Use the government boat launch (a double) across the highway.

Troll with bottom bouncer and crawler-haulers as far north as the two "red roof" cabins (hardly cabins but you get the drift), especially if yours is a smaller boat and you feel safer staying close to port. Or the north side of Dog. Canyon Creek is 30 minutes west in a fast boat and can be tough returning in the waves. Waves are the enemy at that lake, but there should be plenty of fish at 18".

Fish brought up from 30' will die soon from the stress so if you plan to cull (not advising this) then you must stay shallow. Expect many up to about 3 lbs. and very few that are bigger. I've had 50 fish days there so bring lots of bait.

Free
Old 08-23-2015, 06:07 AM

I have an 18' aluminum deep V with a cabin in the front. So my boat will candle a fair bit. But it makes for tough jigging when it gets rough.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:48 AM

I spent 42 days on the east end so know a little bit. You have to go deep now. There is a trench on the south side of dog island. You need to get in at least 20 to 30 feet of water. Best bet is 9 mile also known as widewater. Drop off from 10 to 40 feet. The shelf goes a long way east to west. You will see other boats there way out from shore. Use a small 1/8 ounce green jig with small minnow in 27 ft. Put the jig on the bottom and barely bounce it. Second best option is to bottom bounce off the same shelf using minnows or worms. Silver flasher is best that deep. Red roof and dog island are no longer producing much as it isn't deep enough. As others have said watch it going out at the lake entrance. At one point it is only 1.5 feet of water maybe less now. 9 mile is a ways out so keep an eye on the sky. Weather can turn nasty there in a hurry. When you pull them up from that deep take your time to revive them before letting them go and they should be ok. This time of year the east end is very challenging and the only way is if one thing does not work is to try something else. Downsizing is key. For whatever reason I and others did not have great luck trolling plugs this year.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:29 PM

Was anyone out there this morning set weekend?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:45 PM

We used to troll 12-18' between Dog and Devonshire all summer long with the occasional excursion to the North Shore.

Silver and Black rattlin raps were what we used.

Always brought home enough for dinner every outing.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-25-2015, 09:20 PM

Look for a group of 20ish boats, get in there, drop a jig and minnow down, enjoy.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:08 AM

Thanks going out tonight I will let you know how it goes
Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 PM

Lots of walleye. 3 larger pike 10lb 2@-7ld