Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-26-2009, 09:37 PM

Default Venting

Ok, so last week I go and order some new arrows. The guy at the counter shows me two types of arrows I'm interested in. I ask how much for a dozen "arrows", keyword being "arrows". He quotes me $78.00 for one type and just over a hundred for the other type. I choose the $70.00 arrows. So he grabs a dozen. But they dont have the fletch colors I like so I asked to have a dozen made up with the proper fletches. No problem he says. So go in today to pick them up as well as the new Bushnell deer cam I was going to buy. He hands me the arrows, and I pull out my wallet to pay and he says $114.00 for the arrows. I say "WHAT?". He explains to me that the 78.00 is the price for the shafts, and it was an extra 36.00 for fletching and nocks and points. I tell him, the arrows he showed me when I ordered them were $78. He didnt show me shafts, he showed me arrows. If I wanted shafts, I would have asked how much for shafts...

So If I'm asking how much a dozen arrows is, why do these guys tell me the price of a dozen shafts. Why not just give the actual price of the make up arrows?

Well, I paid for the arrows, and told him to keep his camera, I will buy the two I'm looking to get elsewhere. I was ready to drop the dollars on the camera today, and get another one in 2 weeks. well, not from them.

Am I wrong here? any thoughts? Or did I get the shaft?
Old 09-26-2009, 11:18 PM

Sounds like you got the shaft I would of told him to keep the arrows also and gone somewhere else. Thats just poor service IMHO.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 09-26-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertabowhunter View Post
Ok, so last week I go and order some new arrows. The guy at the counter shows me two types of arrows I'm interested in. I ask how much for a dozen "arrows", keyword being "arrows". He quotes me $78.00 for one type and just over a hundred for the other type. I choose the $70.00 arrows. So he grabs a dozen. But they dont have the fletch colors I like so I asked to have a dozen made up with the proper fletches. No problem he says. So go in today to pick them up as well as the new Bushnell deer cam I was going to buy. He hands me the arrows, and I pull out my wallet to pay and he says $114.00 for the arrows. I say "WHAT?". He explains to me that the 78.00 is the price for the shafts, and it was an extra 36.00 for fletching and nocks and points. I tell him, the arrows he showed me when I ordered them were $78. He didnt show me shafts, he showed me arrows. If I wanted shafts, I would have asked how much for shafts...

So If I'm asking how much a dozen arrows is, why do these guys tell me the price of a dozen shafts. Why not just give the actual price of the make up arrows?

Well, I paid for the arrows, and told him to keep his camera, I will buy the two I'm looking to get elsewhere. I was ready to drop the dollars on the camera today, and get another one in 2 weeks. well, not from them.

Did you get kissed because you sure got screwed

I would change dealers with out even thinking about it
Old 09-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Nationwide

YES YOU DID GET THE SHAFT you should of walked right out when he told you the new price.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:18 AM

Gotta love when someone pulls that on you! You have to bring that one up with the shop owners/ management for sure. I'm a sucker, would probably have bought the arrows too. Unless the problem was cleared, I wouldn't go back and I'd let all my friends know about it.

The problem that I have with this, is, I know that the mark up on arrows is high, as compared to a bow. They'll still profit at the quoted, lower price. If they made a mistake in quoting you the shaft price for complete arrows, they need to "eat" the blunder and do the right thing. At least meet you half way.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:31 AM

After seeing the price of arrows this fall, $114 for a dozen arrows seems like a pretty good deal. $70 for a dozen finished arrows is unheard of.
Sounds like simple miscommunication...
Old 09-27-2009, 09:33 AM

where did this happen at
Old 09-27-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
After seeing the price of arrows this fall, $114 for a dozen arrows seems like a pretty good deal. $70 for a dozen finished arrows is unheard of.
Miscommunication or not, the point is, these guys need to clarify what your getting when you pay for something. I would have no problem paying the $114.00 if it was the price I was given origionally. I was just shocked when the price jumped by 50%. Makes me wonder what a fletching jig will cost. May just start doing my own.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
Jodi-Lee archery in lloyd has victory buckbusters on right now fletched for under 80 bucks if I remember correctly
Old 09-27-2009, 10:57 AM
troller

Quote:
Miscommunication or not, the point is, these guys need to clarify what your getting when you pay for something. I would have no problem paying the $114.00 if it was the price I was given origionally. I was just shocked when the price jumped by 50%. Makes me wonder what a fletching jig will cost. May just start doing my own.
I agree. It's like going to buy a truck and the guy shows you a fully loaded one, so you buy it. Only to come back and get the standard edition
Old 09-27-2009, 11:59 AM

albertabowhunter can u tell me where this happend
Old 09-27-2009, 12:18 PM

Fletching jig can be had for $30.00 , tube of glue is about $5.00 Feathers sell from $25 to 28/ hundred, vanes are cheaper by about half.

Fletching is easy, and a whole lot cheaper. take into account the gas you burn going to the shop and back it is a no brainer.

Pete
Old 09-27-2009, 06:33 PM

Bitzenburger jig runs about $80 US. Worth every penny. Great for custom jobs and those quick fixes when you shoot too many arrows at the same dot.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:22 PM

I'm just getting tired of giving my hard earned money to these local places. I can buy out of the states for almost half of what we pay here, and have what I want in a week. I'd prefer to support the local shops but when they cant be up front with you, why bother?

like I said earlier, I would have had no problem paying the final price if it was quoted to me at the start..... I tried to call the manager of the store today to discuss this, but he's not in until tomorrow. Anyhow, figure it out then.

Montec, I'd rather not say at this time becuase this was the action of an employee not the owner or manager.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:43 PM

What kind of arrows were they that doesnt seem like a bad price for a dozen arrows and you mentioned they charged you for tips??? u didnt expect free field points with the arrows did you? Did you change to different type of vane then he showed you at first cuz that could make a big difference in price too i dont think you got shafted too bad im guessin it was a miscommunication on both parts one could have had more questions and im sure the other would have had more answers
Old 09-27-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Alberta View Post
What kind of arrows were they that doesnt seem like a bad price for a dozen arrows and you mentioned they charged you for tips??? u didnt expect free field points with the arrows did you? Did you change to different type of vane then he showed you at first cuz that could make a big difference in price too i dont think you got shafted too bad im guessin it was a miscommunication on both parts one could have had more questions and im sure the other would have had more answers
When/ where I buy arrows, custom fletched or stock arrows are the same price (wraps are extra) field points are included in price for regular customers!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dshooter View Post
When/ where I buy arrows, custom fletched or stock arrows are the same price (wraps are extra) field points are included in price for regular customers!
Sounds like you got a good gig goin there i would assume most shops would charge more for a fusion or blazer or quickspin then for a standard 4 inch vane or something of the sort. so how much do they charge you for a dozen good arrows complete?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you got a good gig goin there i would assume most shops would charge more for a fusion or blazer or quickspin then for a standard 4 inch vane or something of the sort. so how much do they charge you for a dozen good arrows complete?
Same price where I go no matter vane type unless feather then they are more. tips are included with all dozen arrows for everyone
Old 09-28-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:

Sherwood park Archery by chance ?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
Same price where I go no matter vane type unless feather then they are more. tips are included with all dozen arrows for everyone
i call bull**** what outfit do you get your arrows from id like to get ahold of them to quiz them on this matter
Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Banned

I would have asked is that Shafts or arrow price? That just me...

Best thing to do is Fletch your own! Most of the fletched arrow you get done are crap anyway! I wrap, fletch and knock a set of (12) arrows in under an hour (while drinking beer).

-You save money.
-If an arrow is flying crap you can fix it.
-You can pick you color.
-Repairs are quick and easy.

A good set up will cost you under $100.00.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
i call bull**** what outfit do you get your arrows from id like to get ahold of them to quiz them on this matter
you can call bull all you want I help out at the shop and I know what gets charged and what does not, my brother owns the shop and i help when I can. he fletches with blazers all the time or with 4 or five inch fletch what ever you want. when you buy in bulk like most archery shops the cost of the fletch is set by what the most exspensive ones. If blazers are more money they set the price to that and charge one price for what ever type of fletch you need they dont want to be trying to figure out if one fletch is 25 cents and one is 28 cents they just charge a flat rate for fletching the arrows and makes it alot easier for everyone.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
you can call bull all you want I help out at the shop and I know what gets charged and what does not, my brother owns the shop and i help when I can. he fletches with blazers all the time or with 4 or five inch fletch what ever you want. when you buy in bulk like most archery shops the cost of the fletch is set by what the most exspensive ones. If blazers are more money they set the price to that and charge one price for what ever type of fletch you need they dont want to be trying to figure out if one fletch is 25 cents and one is 28 cents they just charge a flat rate for fletching the arrows and makes it alot easier for everyone.
Atta boy. Tell 'em, Trav!!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:20 PM

The employee made me the exact same arrow which he showed me complete. only thing different was the color of the vanes. both sets were done in the store. Either way you look at it, the price should have been given up front. If he made a msitake then at least he should have admitted to it. Or stuck with his origional price. He would have made the money back on the sale of the camera. Now all he has done is sold a dozen arrows, lost the sale of the camera and future sales. Heck, if needed, there are plenty of other archery retailers in this province, all which would be happy to sell you gear.