Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2011, 01:05 AM

Default One more

I'll figure this posting pictures thing yet!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 AM

No problem Ray, better a late night call for advice than a call to 911.

I've got to post this Warning about Verpas!

Verpas contain a toxin called Gyromitrin, or Momomethylhydrazine (MMH), an organic, carcinogenic poison. MMH can cause seizures along with other long term health effects.

This may be of interest to Tree and the flaming spud guys. MMH, is a major component of Rocket Fuel!

MMH is released from the mushrooms as a gas through heating.
The advice for preparing Verpas is to Parboil them in a WELL Ventilated room or outside before cooking and eating.

"First, though, the cautionary stuff, and it is important with Verpas, so read and heed the following. This mushroom must be thoroughly cooked, as all wild mushrooms should be. However, in addition to cooking, Verpas must be parboiled prior to cooking. Parboil them outdoors or under a good, strong exhaust fan so that you won’t inhale the steam. It is believed that Verpas contain a Gyromitrin-like toxin, which is released by parboiling. If these precautions are taken, Verpas are safe for most people. Some, however, are sensitive to it and will experience gastrointestinal upset or even loss of muscular coordination. First timers should eat only a small amount at first, and should not eat Verpas several days in a row."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB's View Post
A friend and I went out looking for mushrooms yesterday and found this nice bunch of Verpa's. This is my first time harvesting mushrooms and want to be very careful as I prepare them. Any feedback would be most welcome, either as a post or a PM, thanks.

Thanks for your input as well Walking Buffalo![IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-03-2011, 08:04 PM

Default More morels...largest 7"

Nice golden morel - 7"...largest one yet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morel 2011 - june 2.jpg (87.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg morel 2011 - june 3.jpg (68.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg morel 2011 - june 4.jpg (73.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 06-05-2011, 10:27 AM

Golden Morels are up in the Calgary area!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:55 AM

I'm starting to find black morels in decent numbers in NW Alberta. I picked a few dozen after the hockey game last night and a few dozen earlier that afternoon.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Picked a 2 gallon pail of black morels in the Prescribed burn out west of Rocky today. Made up some mushroom soup with 1 1/2 lbs of italian sausage added to it.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:50 PM

just back from pickin',found a grocery bag full in a couple of hours along the trunk road. this was the best haul in years, although we have never ventured so far west to find them. lots of false morels to, so the pickin' season isn't over yet.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:07 PM

Default First Morels

Thanks to all the good information from others on types of spots to look for. Went out today for a few hours and got these golden morels with a very pleasant bonus of some monster oysters (the plate is 10" x 16"). We looked in a very wide area but found almost all of these in a 100'x100' patch.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
Thanks to all the good information from others on types of spots to look for. Went out today for a few hours and got these golden morels with a very pleasant bonus of some monster oysters (the plate is 10" x 16"). We looked in a very wide area but found almost all of these in a 100'x100' patch.

They are nice.

High Slingshots, could you tell me in what kind of area do you find these mushrooms? No, I am not asking where you find those nice mushroom. and I know that is a secret spot liking a fishing hole that only belong to you

But if you can shed some light on what kind of trees or forest area, or what kind of slops whereI may find morels I would really appreciate it.

So far I don't have much success in term of finding morels this year. I am from Calgary too.

plus: if you can share some info on those Oyster that would be great. I try to find them whole summer last year but alway came back empty-handed

Thank you very much
Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 PM

I put 10 large freezer bags of morels into my dehydrator. this morning I emptied one small ziploc sandwich bag of shrooms out of the dehydrator. Crushed some up and added them to cream of mushroom soup today so good. But I am going to have to conserve them.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardFishingMan View Post
They are nice.

High Slingshots, could you tell me in what kind of area do you find these mushrooms? No, I am not asking where you find those nice mushroom. and I know that is a secret spot liking a fishing hole that only belong to you

But if you can shed some light on what kind of trees or forest area, or what kind of slops whereI may find morels I would really appreciate it.

So far I don't have much success in term of finding morels this year. I am from Calgary too.

plus: if you can share some info on those Oyster that would be great. I try to find them whole summer last year but alway came back empty-handed

Thank you very much
Look at those photos from Walking Buffalo, they are exactly the type of environment we found them in (much thanks to him for helping me out with photos and descriptions of the environment). Open areas with popular trees, but keep in mind this is the very first time I found them so I'm not that experienced. The funny thing is that we found a few areas that were almost identical in species and terrain but only found the morels in one area, so I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what the difference was. We were in the river valley on a slight slope.

As for the oysters, it was plain dumb luck stumbling through the forest. Big popular tree that had fallen and all these perfect oysters growing from it. We didn't even take the biggest one for good karma, it was about 14" wide!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 PM

Had about an hour to kill after dinner so went out locally within the city and found these:

Did some speed walking through the popular areas and the morels were very scattered, found one or two in one little area and that was it. They seemed smaller so it might be an area that is late or someone had already gone through it.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:36 PM

I went out tonight on a whim, to a new spot near my house and pushed through the bugs to get a delicious bunch for mule deer steaks tomorrow night

Not knowing what I have been missing in mushroom hunting, I owe a huge thank you to a friend who took the time to show me what type of areas they grow in, and how to identify them properly. Thanks Dale, you are a helluva guy that has had a lot of patience with me. Tonight I put your teachings to work, and...

These mushrooms are awesome!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:25 AM

TFG and Slingshotz !

These morels are just starting. It's going to be a bumper crop this year, the best is yet to come over the next week. Go back to where found them in 4-5 days. In the meantime, look for some new spots.

The oyster mushrooms grow on dead cottonwoods and aspen that still have the bark. Look for dead trees on the ground and LOOK UP! I'll carry a walking stick when picking Oysters, tie a knife to the end for cutting mushrooms up to 12' high. Any mature apsen forest will have them, usually very common. They will occassionaly start now, the first big flush around Calgary is the end of june/ early july.

Sling, go back to that cottonwood in a few days, there will be more. Look again next year. The same tree will often grow these mushrooms for years.

TFG, you should message that Dale guy some details.

Keep a notebook on your finds and forays. Note date, weather, exact location and phenolocical connectors. All of this info becomes valuable to find new spots and when to go back to old ones.

DiehardFishingMan,

The info you are asking for is in here somewhere. look through this thread, and search the old threads for Morels and Wild Mushrooms.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:32 AM

Anyone wanna poiint me in the right direction in Calgary for some Morels?
Please? I dont want all of them, just a few.
PM works!

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Hi walking buffalo

Thank you for the advice. I have been coolection wild mushrooms for two years now. In last two summers and falls I found some honey mushroom, boletes (red top and suillus), Meadow mushroom and some morels. The morels that I found were in the Pine forest in the Rockys.

But I haven't had luck finding morels in Calgary area. I read all of the post regarding morels in this forum and go out the area according to the info from the post but still found nothing. It makes me wonder what I do wrong. Do I go out too earlier or do I go to wrong spot? Or dese the morel ever exist in the calgary and surronding area.

But thank you and Slingshotz. At least I know there are someone found morels in Calgary

As long as I know there are morels in Calgary I will find them, soon or later

Last edited by DiehardFishingMan; 06-07-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
Look at those photos from Walking Buffalo, they are exactly the type of environment we found them in (much thanks to him for helping me out with photos and descriptions of the environment). Open areas with popular trees, but keep in mind this is the very first time I found them so I'm not that experienced. The funny thing is that we found a few areas that were almost identical in species and terrain but only found the morels in one area, so I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what the difference was. We were in the river valley on a slight slope.

As for the oysters, it was plain dumb luck stumbling through the forest. Big popular tree that had fallen and all these perfect oysters growing from it. We didn't even take the biggest one for good karma, it was about 14" wide!
Thank you SlingShots for the info, I will try again this week.

By the way, have you fly fishing in Red Deer River lately?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardFishingMan View Post
Thank you SlingShots for the info, I will try again this week.

By the way, have you fly fishing in Red Deer River lately?
Not yet this year, but at some point I do plan on it. Goldeye on the fly are so fun.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 PM

To the experts in the bunch.... We have been looking for morels in the kootenays the last couple weeks. We have found a tonne of false morels of the gyromitra variety. Looking for clues as to how good or bad a sign that is. Do these mushies inhabit the same territory and if so does one come up before the other. We're wondering if we may be early or late and in the right area. In the one place it was a burned out logging slash that I'm sure was good. Only falsies
Old 06-08-2011, 09:35 AM

Elkster, I have rarely found them IN burned logging slashes. You will do much better if you look in burned timber and standing vegetation you will have better luck. Slashes tend to stay too dry. You need shaded areas within the burn.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:48 AM

I found these on the edge of the lawn on Monday afternoon.

Gotta find more!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Elkster, I have rarely found them IN burned logging slashes. You will do much better if you look in burned timber and standing vegetation you will have better luck. Slashes tend to stay too dry. You need shaded areas within the burn.
In addition to Pudel's pointers.....

The prime location for morels in burned areas is the edges of the fire zone. Look in the browned off area.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 PM

ok, Thanks for all the tips guys, will look as soon as I can. Hockey is on tonight so I dont think I will get out, and if the rain can stop in time, maybe I will get out on the weekend.
Will let you know how I did.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I found these on the edge of the lawn on Monday afternoon.
Gotta find more!
I want a lawn like that!!

Nice looking Morels. If it continues to rain all weekend, I might be hunting mushrooms more than fish....
Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 AM

Went out again yesterday and all I found are the false gyromitra...lots of them! Dohhh I'm just trying to figure out whether I'm too early, too late or maybe conditions just aren't right. I'm suspecting our below average temp nights in the area and very wet conditions are keeping the real ones down. Normally I'm sure this would be late for the area but it is a wacky weather year and things have been a month behind. I went all the way to snowline polking around and didn't find any real one's and the falsies seemed to peter out too so I'm hoping things are just behind. Anyone know if the falsies like it wetter or cooler than the real ones. Can it be too wet for morels or is it more a temperature thing? That may help me nail down where things are at...
Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 PM

im headin east of Edmonton, Is it too late?
Either way, takin the kids for a nice day in the bush.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Went out again yesterday and all I found are the false gyromitra...lots of them! Dohhh I'm just trying to figure out whether I'm too early, too late or maybe conditions just aren't right. I'm suspecting our below average temp nights in the area and very wet conditions are keeping the real ones down. Normally I'm sure this would be late for the area but it is a wacky weather year and things have been a month behind. I went all the way to snowline polking around and didn't find any real one's and the falsies seemed to peter out too so I'm hoping things are just behind. Anyone know if the falsies like it wetter or cooler than the real ones. Can it be too wet for morels or is it more a temperature thing? That may help me nail down where things are at...
Keep on looking and keep a log book, it will really help you figure these details for your area.

The Goldens are growing well around Calgary. If we get rain this weekend, the picking could last another couple of weeks.

Picked these last night by looking where TFG and BBK walked first.
Could have used your help Pudel.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:14 PM

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ288418339

I kept seeing add on kijiji (Calgary) and now I am reading this thread, worth trying I guess!
Thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 PM

I wish I was there to help you out WB. Followed your advice and took my Dad out while he was here from the coast. Walked around a grassy spot by the river and found 5. A little dry, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few more popped up this week.

So yummy.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 PM

Is it too dry up here in the 780....are all you guys who are finding them in the 403?
I know it's been wet down there, I've been trying to work in it lol !

Either way, was gonna head east of Edm with the kids tomorow, but might head out west to another area to throw up some trail cams if it's too dry for morels east of Edmonton.
thanks
hh