Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry cowboy View Post
Whammy, there is a good chance that some of these attacks are coming from Canadian born attackers, but many of them go overseas and train with radical groups around the world
And are let back in
Old 10-22-2014, 11:05 AM

Condolences to family of the soldier killed, & prayers for the Parliamentary guard wounded. Canada will not be terrorized or intimidated. twitter Jason Kenney
Old 10-22-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
x2 (though I did serve in the military)

And to add, with some more information (and then likely some parliamentary debate) how to respond effectively... increased arrest powers to police, more money to CSIS for internet monitoring, increased military action overseas, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Goodfellow View Post
Am I the only one here who recognizes that all of the above suggestions would decrease our freedoms?
Not a single one of the above suggestions decreases my freedom in any way whatsoever!!
Old 10-22-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Second such act of terrorism in Canada this week already. I'd love to discuss this further but it'll probably lead to a banning. I hope the bleeding hearts are happy now.
x a million
Old 10-22-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Am I the only one here who recognizes that all of the above suggestions would decrease our freedoms?
No, but we have to balance security and freedom, which is why we should get more info, discuss/debate and then decide.

The last time civil rights were effectively suspended in Canada was by Trudeau when enacting the War Measures Act during the FLQ crisis. It didn't lead to loss of rights or a persistent police state in Canada. Nor did it prevent him and the Liberals from passing the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in later years. Yet, at the time, it was important in helping to solve the crisis, with regrettable loss of life of one of the hostages.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:09 AM

The soldier had been confirmed as dead, two others including a parliamentary guard are in a stable condition. Reports Sergeant-At-Arms, Vickers, shot and killed one gunman in the Centre Block. Police looking for "at least 2 more" suspects.

guns dont kill people, fathers with attractive daughters kill people.

"every bullet from a 30-06 is guided downrange by God himself" - Huntinstuff
Old 10-22-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
The soldier had been confirmed as dead, two others including a parliamentary guard are in a stable condition. Reports Sergeant-At-Arms, Vickers, shot and killed one gunman in the Centre Block. Police looking for "at least 2 more" suspects.
I truly hope this tragedy serves as a long overdue wake up call to all Canadians

Agreed, 100%.

And again, it's all in how we decide to tackle the situation, once we know what it is. I think we can target terrorists in an intelligent way that does not degrade our freedom and democracy.

I have confidence that as a nation, we will work together in this challenge and make Canada a stronger country as a result. In order to do that, we will have to resist both the fear-based knee jerk reaction, as well as the opposite end of the spectrum that fears any reaction at all.

And whatever we ultimately decide to do, I know that our men and women tasked with the job will make us proud. They already do.

Quote:
No, but we have to balance security and freedom, which is why we should get more info, discuss/debate and then decide.

The last time civil rights were effectively suspended in Canada was by Trudeau when enacting the War Measures Act during the FLQ crisis. It didn't lead to loss of rights or a persistent police state in Canada. Nor did it prevent him and the Liberals from passing the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in later years. Yet, at the time, it was important in helping to solve the crisis, with regrettable loss of life of one of the hostages.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca

anyone else thinking of keeping a non-restricted under the backseat with a clip in the glovebox?

CF personnel being told not to wear their uniform off-base?

guns dont kill people, fathers with attractive daughters kill people.

"every bullet from a 30-06 is guided downrange by God himself" - Huntinstuff
Old 10-22-2014, 11:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Our response needs to be harsh and immediate when these animals expose themselves for they walk amongst us. Eliminate the threat or possible threats.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-22-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 View Post
My first reaction over this is anger but I am not of the mind to go out with an unmeasured response to attack overseas before we know who attacked us. Our response should be swift and in multitudes of magnitude greater then what was done to us. And for those calling for an increased amount of security and heightened sense of paranoia, consider how much safer that actually made the good old USA. They gave up alot of their freedom's and militarized their police forces. That knee jerk reaction didn't make them any safer it just took away their liberties and undermined their values.

And on to the second point why the hell are we observing these radicals INSIDE our country? Why are they allowed INSIDE our country? I don't give a crap if they were born here and then went overseas for their training, if we know they left the country to seek out training with militant extremists why do we allow them to even have a Canadian passport or to clear our customs? If were so concerned that they are actually under active surveillance, why are they not expelled from the country? ...

Many MANY many words of wisedom^^^^^
if the officials whom watch over Canada
instilled the above we would be far from todays&yesterday's
news stories!...The world of open borders and lax immigration
are long gone..just my gleaming nickle.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:22 AM

First step haul in the known 90 suspected terrorists in Canada at this time.

It is plain to see somethings need to change in this country. Need to drop the warm and fuzzy please and thank you Canadian crap. Drop the PC BS and look after Canadians who want to be Canadian
Old 10-22-2014, 11:23 AM

I posted this under another subject in this form earlier. The events today make it an even more poignent subject:

Not here to judge whether it was right or wrong. I wasn't there thankfully. It was a different time and place in history. No doubt our grandparents were also on different sides of the fence when this occurred. We can't change history, but we must accept it.....

The better question I believe is what will the future bring with the current situation with ISIS etc. and loss of freedoms? The murder of one of our country's soliers this week in Quebec by a home grown terrorist leaves the door open for future internment of the "enemy" I would think... What are the thoughts on this possibility, especially knowing that it's possibly your family that could be affected next?? Just leave them intil they do something, then try and apprehend them or be proactive? I sure don't know the answers, but before we're so quick to judge, we should consider all the circumstances....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
History is so easy to comment on with the advantage of hindsight....

Quote:

Old 10-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I truly hope this tragedy serves as a long overdue wake up call to all Canadians
Exactly, especially for those whining, bleeding hearts that think you are going to be able to "hug" the hate out of these terrosist azzholes. When this world evil is caught and convicted, no prison time........death penalty only............the message has to be sent out that Canada will not tolerate this BS.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Exactly, especially for those whining, bleeding hearts that think you are going to be able to "hug" the hate out of these terrosist azzholes.
Is anyone *really* suggesting this, or is this a caricature of your own creation?
Old 10-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Banned

The question is how will the radicals be found? Lets see if the "moderate" Muslims in this country will help with this and report them.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Is anyone *really* suggesting this, or is this a caricature of your own creation?
Have you met Justin Trudeau?
Old 10-22-2014, 11:35 AM

They've just postponed the Leafs/Senators game now too... A good decision in my opinion.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:35 AM

Sens game now cancelled.....
Old 10-22-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
The question is how will the radicals be found? Lets see if the "moderate" Muslims in this country will help with this and report them.
Ya right they gonna give their brave brothers to the infidels...
Old 10-22-2014, 11:37 AM

Better be safe then deal with this chit....unbelievable
Old 10-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Banned

I think that this is the turning point in Canadian history where we lose our innocence......much like 9/11 changed the world. Time to tighten up security and perhaps even arm our Military pers for self protection if nothing else. I would welcome the added security in my community. Group hugs and fighting these radicals with rainbows and unicorns simply won't work. Time to get tough, Canada......enough of this bleeding heart garbage!
Old 10-22-2014, 11:48 AM

If JTF2 has been unleashed there will be no arrests.excellent
Old 10-22-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANG View Post
If JTF2 has been unleashed there will be no arrests.excellent
I havent managed to find any reports saying the JTF-2 have been deployed. Anyone?
Old 10-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sittn Duck View Post
I havent managed to find any reports saying the JTF-2 have been deployed. Anyone?
You won't find any reports, that's not how they operate.

It is entirely possible that the only Muslim in this tragedy could be
the Argyle & Sutherland reservist who was killed on duty at the NWM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I think that this is the turning point in Canadian history where we lose our innocence......
Perhaps.

How much of this are we willing to leave up to others?

It's up to moderate voices to call out the extremists - Not just the armed nutjobs, but the bigger threat: those among us who who advocate for costly overreactions.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You won't find any reports, that's not how they operate.
True enough
Banned

Quote:
Have you not read the Mulcair and Trudeau answer to fighting terrorism?

We are as bad of the media guessing and gossiping when we don't have all the facts. This speculation serves little good, the bickering between us less.

I'm ****ed, this is a most heinous act. A soldier paying respect to the fallen has been murdered. Our seat of government had been attacked. My heart goes out to the families of the fallen. I have a hard heart today.

This is not the first time our nation faced terrorists on our home soil. Some of you may remember the October crisis 44 years ago. I am confident that we still have the resources to deal with threats from abroad and from within. I also believe that the sitting government has the resolve to deal with this.

Today is a day to pull together as a nation and give support to those who serve. I suspect we will be vigilant in routing out threats to our society.

Last edited by uglyelk; 10-22-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Closed Thread