Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-26-2016, 07:38 PM

T3.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:56 PM

Don't think I'll ever own a Remington. Tikka for me!

Kevin
Old 10-26-2016, 08:17 PM

M700 for me.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:54 PM

I have both and will take a tikka hands down... Just my humble opinion
Old 10-26-2016, 09:02 PM

I have heard several members on th AO comment that they had to bring their Rem 700 to a gunsmith, right out the box, that being said, the Rem 700 is a great rifle. I have never heard of a Tikka ever requiring service, from a gunsmith right out the box, let alone after shooting 1000 rounds. If you are after quality, and quality control, go with the Tikka.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerules View Post
Looking at a new rifle gonna be a 308 thoughts an opinions please

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Have had both and no comparison IMO. Tikka hands down for hunting.

Get a 30-06 though.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:38 PM

I'm not the most gun savvy person, but I went with the Tikka and I love it.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:38 PM

I think it depends on whether or not you plan on leaving it as is. I love the Tikka and just purchased a T3X Lite. I've also purchased just over a dozen model 700s new. I like to tweak my rifles a bit, change out the stocks and triggers. I love the Remingtons for this. The model 700s are definitely hit or miss with fit and finish though. I have come to despise the SPS garbage finish, but I still buy them lol. I plan on cerakote or something when I rebarrel. I've had a couple new bolts recently with visible grind marks on them, right through the finish. Like someone held them to the grinder and put flat spots in them, and this is right out of the box rifles. I see a lot of dings and chips in the action/bolt that were put there prior to applying the finish. So far I've been lucky in that all of them have been great shooters so far. I just picked up an SPS in 260 Rem that hates factory ammo, hopefully I can develop a good load for it or it'll ruin the streak. My model 700 Long Range is proving to be an excellent shooter, but the finish on the tang is very spotty. The rifle should've never made it out of the factory like that. Also, the new dot matrix on the left side of the Remington receivers is hideous. I wish they'd go back to under the bolt handle.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:03 PM

We have 4 old Rem 700 and they are all good rifles. They all needed some tuning to get the best out of them. Also have 2 Tikkas, they both shoot very well right out of the box but are but ugly. I like the look of good old walnut.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post

Get a 30-06 though.
Why 30 06

Old 10-26-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Remington 700 for me but not an SPS. I would free float, bed and replace the trigger before I even tried shooting it.
This is a perfect depiction of the inherent problems with Remington 700s, but you forgot new barrel, stock and truing. For all the trouble you have to go to just to get it shooting 1/2 MOA, you have already spent much more than the Tikka or Savage would have cost and they will shoot less than 1/2 MOA out of the box with reloads.

Full disclosure, I have owned and still own a Remington 700 but its only because I'm too lazy to list it for sale. I hunt with a Tikka T3 Superlite and find the action significantly smoother than many factory rifles.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcon View Post
This is a perfect depiction of the inherent problems with Remington 700s, but you forgot new barrel, stock and truing. For all the trouble you have to go to just to get it shooting 1/2 MOA, you have already spent much more than the Tikka or Savage would have cost and they will shoot less than 1/2 MOA out of the box with reloads.

Full disclosure, I have owned and still own a Remington 700 but its only because I'm too lazy to list it for sale. I hunt with a Tikka T3 Superlite and find the action significantly smoother than many factory rifles.
My son must have got lucky. He has bought 2 varmint model 700 SPS in the last year. One in .308 the other in 22-250. Both will shoot under 1 inch with the proper handloads. They may not have the fit and finish of the BDL models but these two shoot
Old 10-26-2016, 11:26 PM

i had an sps 700 , shot straight and accurate but the bullets rarely fed properly out of the magazine . after a couple of failure to load with out beating the crap out of the clip and watching a nice buck run away i bought a t3 superlite. tikka gets my vote.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Why 30 06

No reason at all to be honest. Between the "big 3" - .270, .308, and 30-06... they will all kill the same animals just as well at about the same range. I happen to prefer the .270 myself... but in the real world any differences don't amount to a hill of beans anyways, so get whatever you want.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:01 AM
Banned

I was told that the Tikka T3 is a very accurate shooting rifle out of the box, so I went to look at them because I was considering buying one.

They did not fit me, so I never would consider buying one for that reason. What I did notice about the rifle is that their stocks feel and sound like really cheap plastic.

Last edited by woodsman205; 10-27-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman205 View Post
I was told that the Tikka T3 is a very accurate shooting rifle out of the box, so I went to look at them because I was considering buying one.

They did not fit me, so I never would consider buying one for that reason. What I did notice about the rifle is that their stocks fee and sound like really cheap plastic.
This is more or less my beef with Tikka, its not they aren't good rifles but I don't feel that they are worth the price that they are asking. I've had plenty of cheaply made rifles that could shoot sub MOA, IMO a cheaply made rifle isn't worth the prices Tikka wants, no matter how good they shoot.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:55 AM

Default Here is some helpful info

This is a borescope video from a standard Remington 700 factory Barrel

https://youtu.be/hf9zZqn00CA

The tikkas come with match grade barrells (same factory as Sako) as per my source (the berretta rep).

https://youtu.be/3RiiF2Pq8xs
https://youtu.be/HgvK_6jBXRQ

That being said if your so inclined you can pull the barrel off you Rem 700 have your action trued by a smith put a custom stock on it, throw a Jewell or Timmeny trigger on it and you would have something very special.

If you just want out of the box accuracy you cant beat tikka's they promise 3 shots 1 moa before the rifle leaves the factory, if its a varmint heavy barrel they promise 5 shot 1 moa.

I hope this is helpful.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:06 PM

Have some of each, honestly either choice isn't a bad one. Have a mix of newer and older Remington's and all of mine are nice. With older ones being better made. Have BDLs, CDLs, Mountain. Apart from other remingtons model 7, 673, Mohawk 600

Tikka its been a good gun. Its the T3 Lite in 300 WSM. But as other have said, didn't like the stock and the plastic parts on it. The T3X fixed some of the problems but not all. Put a Boyds stock on it and fixed part of the problem.

That being said its the Remington that I take out hunting. Mainly walk, so I do enjoy the fixed magazine and drop plate over Tikkas plastic magazine.

But to each their own, try them both, see what fits. As for accuracy, I'm not as worries, as long as it hits what I'm aiming at, I'm happy
Old 10-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Banned

I have a early 80s rem 700 in 30-06 very accurate rifle only thing I hate is bolt can be lifted when safety is on, I like the weatherby when safety is on can't pull the bolt out
Old 10-27-2016, 12:26 PM

The Tika stock is brutal, probably no better than a Remington SPS. The above youtube videos are interesting---IF you want to buy a Sako but this topic is for Tika vs Remington and if anybody thinks Tika and Sako are the same quality you have been smokin dope. Same company owners but thats it. No where near the quality. Tika's are a very nice gun and shoot pretty good but mine is not near as good a shooter as at least three of my Remingtons. Nice guns the Tika's are if you buy a new stock but not worth the money.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
I have a early 80s rem 700 in 30-06 very accurate rifle only thing I hate is bolt can be lifted when safety is on, I like the weatherby when safety is on can't pull the bolt out
My stainlesss r700 cant have the bolt opened when safety is on. I think it has something to do with an addition to the trigger. Same came with it, some didn't...
I'm 50/50 on the tikka/remington debate. It boils down to this: there is a ton more aftermarket options for upgrades for the remington. But if you just want to buy a rifle and go hunting and that' the extent of your shooting, go tikka.
But if you want to tweak the rifle and make it semi custom, remington will be easiest to do this with.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post

Get a 30-06 though.
If you go tikka. Forsure buy it in 30-06.

Quote:
Why 30 06

Because a 308 in a long action is cheesy.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:39 PM

All good ideas from others.

The best rifle is the one that fits you best, and is one that you will enjoy seeing every time you head out with it.

Both are fun to spend time with.

Don
Old 10-27-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the knowledge guys heard 700s had a trigger recall?
If they are in store it's been done already. I feel like that whole issue was a setup but that's just my opinion. I've had 4 Remington's without the recall done, and set the one stupid low with very little sear engagement and never had an issue. I made it heavier before hunting season to be safe and I honestly love remington a lot. Use to work at cabelas and handled both a lot. The tikkas action is glass!!! The mid to high end Remington's do too. I like a little weight to my rifles. Heavy recoil from a standard ruins the fun of shooting. Made that mistake once and never again.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:17 PM

Default Different guns same Barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
The Tika stock is brutal, probably no better than a Remington SPS. The above youtube videos are interesting---IF you want to buy a Sako but this topic is for Tika vs Remington and if anybody thinks Tika and Sako are the same quality you have been smokin dope. Same company owners but thats it. No where near the quality. Tika's are a very nice gun and shoot pretty good but mine is not near as good a shooter as at least three of my Remingtons. Nice guns the Tika's are if you buy a new stock but not worth the money.
Yes they are different actions and yes the sako is nicer but the barrels are the same or so I have been told by a manufacters rep. Could he be wrong, sure but I am just going by what i was told. I used to sell firearms and thats how I met the rep.

Sakos have a 5 shot 1 moa guarentee
TiKKa has 3 shot