Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
holy cow..anyone else watching the nhl awards show...what a snooze fest...jeez even the players look bored to be there....and shaka kahn?? what?? why would you get shaka kahn to perform at a hockey awards show??....holy crap this is terrible....sheesh

congrats to all awards winners.
shaka kahn shows how badly the NHL is doing in the U.S . when all the presenters are "whats his face" or "remember him from that movie....what was it called again"....... over all bad awards show. the crappy thing about these awards is that everyone knows whos getting the award before the show even comes on.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
shaka kahn shows how badly the NHL is doing in the U.S . when all the presenters are "whats his face" or "remember him from that movie....what was it called again"....... over all bad awards show. the crappy thing about these awards is that everyone knows whos getting the award before the show even comes on.
there was just no hype...no sizzle..no FUN..it was boring, flat and lame.....terrible band as well..some lame ***** two bit "jazz" band....terrible...

oh well, on to next season
Old 06-19-2009, 05:41 PM

I heard that the out door classic game is going to pe held in Calgary this year.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt 270WSM View Post
I heard that the out door classic game is going to pe held in Calgary this year.
the 2010 winter classic is supposed to be a double header on jan 1st...one game in boston at fenway park. and one game in calgary at mcmahon stadium.
i cant find whos supposed to be playing the home teams though.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
the 2010 winter classic is supposed to be a double header on jan 1st...one game in boston at fenway park. and one game in calgary at mcmahon stadium.
i cant find whos supposed to be playing the home teams though.
heard it would be the flames and the laffs
Old 06-19-2009, 09:18 PM

McMahon Stadium??? There's a 50/50 chance they'll be swimming due to a chinook. Or do they have the ability to bring in temporary cooling systems to keep the ice frozen?
Cheers
Old 06-20-2009, 11:04 AM

They will bring in a refrige system for the ice. My bett is they will be playing the canucks.

As I have said before a new sutter will be joining the flames.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282428
Old 06-20-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
posted the same thing a while back. check back to the end of the first page.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
They will bring in a refrige system for the ice. My bett is they will be playing the canucks.
Said on the news this morning it would probably be the Leafs
Old 06-20-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Said on the news this morning it would probably be the Leafs
I friggen hope not. Why not make it a team with some sort of rivalry. With the schedule nowadays there is no rivalry with the leafs. I think a leafs/bruins game would work better.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post

As I have said before a new sutter will be joining the flames.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282428
lol. I was thinking about Brent being hired the other day...at first I didn't think he would because how can you bring your brother into coach..and end up having to fire him (like all coaches eventually get). But now that I think more into it...this is most likely Darryl's last year, so he wont have to be the one to do the dirty work when that time comes. And Brent left NJ for personal and family reasons....being too far from his Red Deer place perhaps? Oh well...at least if he gets hired with the flames us Oiler fans don't have to worry, again A team that constantly chokes in the first round with a new coach that has a prooven playoff record of first round chokes, sounds like a great fit to me

And ya, I didn't watch the NHL awards because the last one sucked. Good for Ethan though.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Octane~ View Post
lol. I was thinking about Brent being hired the other day...at first I didn't think he would because how can you bring your brother into coach..and end up having to fire him (like all coaches eventually get). But now that I think more into it...this is most likely Darryl's last year, so he wont have to be the one to do the dirty work when that time comes. And Brent left NJ for personal and family reasons....being too far from his Red Deer place perhaps? Oh well...at least if he gets hired with the flames us Oiler fans don't have to worry, again A team that constantly chokes in the first round with a new coach that has a prooven playoff record of first round chokes, sounds like a great fit to me

And ya, I didn't watch the NHL awards because the last one sucked. Good for Ethan though.

Last edited by blackpheasant; 06-27-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
That's all good but it doesn't change the fact that the Oilers will no doubt be a much worse team in 09/10 and the PQ experiment short lived...
how can they be worse???
Old 06-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
That's all good but it doesn't change the fact that the Oilers will no doubt be a much worse team in 09/10 and the PQ experiment short lived...
So then it wasn't MacT's fault? Either way I think it will be a great season and I can't wait...I think Pat will be a great fit here for the younger guys. Not a big fan of Renney but we'll see. And Brent Sutter will be announced tommorow as head coach, can't wait to have a nice laugh come playoff time and their out yet again in the first round, if they even make it
Old 06-23-2009, 10:13 AM

I can see why Sutter hired his brother as coach... two peas in a pod, on the same page, trust each other, etc. I'm not sure why the brass allowed it though. Seems destined for trouble. If they go through a bad spell people will call for Brent's firing, Darryl won't do it, people will claim favouritism, bad PR all around. Plus how do you ever fire one without getting the others (there are three of them now, plus one player in the minors, no?) mad? You almost have to fire them all at the same time.

The owners have generally shown good judgement, but I think they missed on this one. There are other qualified coaches out there. Sutter has had just two good regular seasons and two first round playoff exits... well, I guess that qualifies him for the Flames. He's not a bad coach at all, I just think this is the wrong place for him.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 AM

Oh, one more Sutter question.... Do you think their dad gave them the belt across the rear whenever they smiled? God, what a dour bunch.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:03 AM

I heard that Jon Babcock might be the coach for team Canada in the winter olympics this coming year. Did any 1 els hear this????
Old 06-25-2009, 09:05 AM

yuppers...
Old 06-27-2009, 08:43 AM

Florida has traded the rights to Jay Bouwmeester to Calgary for Jordan Leopold and a 3rd round pick. Not quite sure how they'd fit him in under the cap, but he'd be a heckuva addition to the team.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Florida has traded the rights to Jay Bouwmeester to Calgary for Jordan Leopold and a 3rd round pick. Not quite sure how they'd fit him in under the cap, but he'd be a heckuva addition to the team.
Wow that is a big move...
As far as the cap two words pop into my head "trade Dion"
I think he may flourish with a new start and a system that allows his offensive abilities to be used but not hurt the team too much. Just a thought?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Wow that is a big move...
As far as the cap two words pop into my head "trade Dion"
I think he may flourish with a new start and a system that allows his offensive abilities to be used but not hurt the team too much. Just a thought?
I figure they brought in his old junior coach Sutter to kick start things again. I do figure that someone with a hefty salary will have to go if they get Bouwmeester signed. Can't wait for the July 1st signing frenzy.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:59 AM

I hear bouweester is building a house in Calgary right now and his girlfriend lives here. I would think that Sutter will get him signed. With Cammi gone and maybe Aucoin shipped out that should free up enough cap space.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:56 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
I heard that Jon Babcock might be the coach for team Canada in the winter olympics this coming year. Did any 1 els hear this????

Awesome news; now, all we have to do is load Team Canada up with Russians and Swedes & we're golden!
Old 06-27-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
I hear bouweester is building a house in Calgary right now and his girlfriend lives here. I would think that Sutter will get him signed. With Cammi gone and maybe Aucoin shipped out that should free up enough cap space.
Ya right as if they are going to trade Cammelleri. He just had his best season ever and they would be crazy to trade him.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuCraM View Post
Ya right as if they are going to trade Cammelleri. He just had his best season ever and they would be crazy to trade him.
Isn't about trading him. He is a free agent come July 1st, and I'd guess he'll end up back home playing for the Leafs.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:21 AM

Flames just traded Vandemeer to the coyotes for Brandon prust, that should free up about 1.5 mil
Old 06-28-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuCraM View Post
yeah he had his best year ever palying on a line with Iginla.....it seems alot of players have that.

if they sign jay-bo i wouldn't be suprised if they went after heatley, but they would have to give up phaneuf.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:03 PM

Cammi is gone, likely back to the west coast. from all reports JB wants to test the marketplace but good move by Sutter if it works, it probably won't but his other moves indicate that its highly unlikely they keep Cammi, Aucoin or Bert. Gues we shall see in a few days IF they get JB Im sure that Jokinnen is on his way out as they don't want a repeat of last years cap debacle.....maybe the new Sutter knows math.....
Old 06-28-2009, 07:04 PM

Not sure why everyone seems to think the flames have no cap space. As it stands now they have $11mil of space. A lot of cash is out the window with cammi, aucoin, vandermeer, and bert on their way out. I hope they get JB for 6 mill. this may be tough but I hope it works. He won't make more than dion at 6.5mil.

I wonder where the sedin sisters will end up? my guess is they will be with the wild next season.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:45 PM

Well, they signed JB for 5 years @6.6 mill. awesome job by sutter. Some fine tuning and they should be good to go.