Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 08:39 AM

Default Non "Treaty" Susbsitance Hunting?

I hope I'm not opening up a can of worm here but:

I remember reading that in Alberta there is a form you can fill out that would allow you to hunt year round provided you had a medical reasons to do so. I have developed a health issue that may require me to eat more wild game so I would like to look into this to see if I qualify. I just don't know the name of the form. A quick search turns up nothing except for Treaty status rights. Does anyone know the name or even number of this form?
Thanks

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-28-2022, 08:54 AM

I think you pretty much need to live off grid in a remote area to qualify.

LC
Old 10-28-2022, 10:10 AM

I remember someone on this site qualified. Since they were posting about it its reasonable to assume they didnt live entirely off the grid. I just cant find the thread about it.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I remember someone on this site qualified. Since they were posting about it its reasonable to assume they didnt live entirely off the grid. I just cant find the thread about it.
I remember reading about it on here. I think it had to do more with financial status than anything. I believe you have to prove that you're unable to buy meat and therefor need to harvest it.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:24 AM

Subsistence hunting licence — eligibility

39(1) A person is eligible to obtain or hold a subsistence hunting licence if and only if

(a) he is a resident, and

(b) the Minister is satisfied that he is in dire need of sustenance for any of his family members, including his adult interdependent partner.

(2) Repealed AR 234/2007 s2.

Subsistence hunting licence — entitlements

40(1) A subsistence hunting licence authorizes its holder, if any of his family members, including an adult interdependent partner, is in dire need of sustenance, to hunt the kind or kinds of animal, from among moose, elk and deer, and in the number, during the period and in the area, specified in the licence.

(2) The period referred to in subsection (1) may, if the licence so specifies, be outside or notwithstanding the lack of an open season.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/re...-143-1997.html
Old 10-28-2022, 10:55 AM

Trappers were allowed to shot a moose if they can prove economic need. I believe the number was less than $30k per year. It would not be hard to qualify at todays fur prices.
PS I think you just need to go to F & W with a good story and holes in your britches. Also park your new Dodge Cummins 4X4 around the block.
Old 10-28-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
I remember reading about it on here. I think it had to do more with financial status than anything. I believe you have to prove that you're unable to buy meat and therefor need to harvest it.
With this you would have to live where you plan on hunting. Would be hard otherwise to prove its cheaper to hunt than purchase
Old 10-28-2022, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
I hope I'm not opening up a can of worm here but:

I remember reading that in Alberta there is a form you can fill out that would allow you to hunt year round provided you had a medical reasons to do so. I have developed a health issue that may require me to eat more wild game so I would like to look into this to see if I qualify. I just don't know the name of the form. A quick search turns up nothing except for Treaty status rights. Does anyone know the name or even number of this form?
Thanks
I’m pretty sure they would tell you to just go buy an elk or bison from a farm
Or they would probably just get f&w to drop off seized animals for you
Old 10-28-2022, 12:41 PM

.duplicate
Old 10-28-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Trappers were allowed to shot a moose if they can prove economic need. I believe the number was less than $30k per year. It would not be hard to qualify at todays fur prices.
PS I think you just need to go to F & W with a good story and holes in your britches. Also park your new Dodge Cummins 4X4 around the block.
Holes in your britches may not be proof enough...
The King Bros had plenty of those and binder twine for belts but flush for cash!!!
Old 10-28-2022, 02:38 PM

park your new Dodge Cummins 4X4 around the block.

Most "subsistence hunters" these days don't need to bother.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-28-2022, 05:33 PM

I have a medical reason for hunting year round.....

It's because im sick of waiting 5 years for a moose tag.....
Old 10-28-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Agree with that, and more years....
Old 10-28-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

How about 20 plus years for moose tag in 400.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
Ridiculous
Old 10-29-2022, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
Yet a number of locals with certain " privileges " hunt them in that zone year round ...and folks wonder why the number of animals is down . A fair number of these guys are driving nice vehicles as well , subsistence hunting my $%&...

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Last edited by H380; 10-29-2022 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:39 PM

Can we keep this on topic and not get into that whole "extra privileges" thing.
Well Im certainly not rich I can afford to buy food, but its looking like I will need a high protein, low fat diet with wild meat being the best choice. I have no problem paying for licenses or tags when the seasons are open. The issue is I may need an extra deer in the off season as I use up my meat.

Since I cant find the form to see exactly what the medical requirements are, I have left a message with a F&W office to see if I qualify should the need arise.

Old 10-29-2022, 02:08 PM

What's wrong with beans , turkey breasts , chicken and fish ? All good source of protein.
The extra deer thing doesn't fly with me.
Old 10-29-2022, 02:15 PM

Lots of supplemental cow elk and mule doe tags available in the province. No reason to need to be hunting out of season with what tags are out there.
Old 10-29-2022, 02:19 PM

^ Turkey and chicken have a lot of fat.

I don’t think it will fly and not even close.

Also, during a season, a guy can shoot 3 whitetails, a mulie doe (undersubscribed or no priority required zones, which there are plenty of), an antlerless elk (or two in some zones), an antlered elk, plus a moose during archery season. Even if hunting with a rifle only, there are plenty of opportunities to fill the freezer with with game I mentioned above, non of which require time to accumulate priority and can be legally harvested during the hunting season. Add birds and the rabbit that is the leanest meat there is and can be easily snared anytime you want. I saw rabbits being sold in nofrills the other day at the rate of over $40 for two. Insane.
Old 10-29-2022, 03:15 PM

turkey without the skin is extra lean. It is has a small amount of fat.
Old 10-29-2022, 03:28 PM
Banned

It’s your lucky day
Tofu fits your needs more than wild meat does
Congrats
Old 10-29-2022, 03:33 PM

^ Among many other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
turkey without the skin is extra lean. It is has a small amount of fat.
Yes, but compared to wild game meat, it is pretty fat, I believe.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:05 PM

Plenty of game opportunities if you need extra meat beyond deer. Also plenty of fish out there.

Maybe take up hunting snow geese and bear
Old 10-29-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Turkey and chicken have a lot of fat.

I don’t think it will fly and not even close.

Also, during a season, a guy can shoot 3 whitetails, a mulie doe (undersubscribed or no priority required zones, which there are plenty of), an antlerless elk (or two in some zones), an antlered elk, plus a moose during archery season. Even if hunting with a rifle only, there are plenty of opportunities to fill the freezer with with game I mentioned above, non of which require time to accumulate priority and can be legally harvested during the hunting season. Add birds and the rabbit that is the leanest meat there is and can be easily snared anytime you want. I saw rabbits being sold in nofrills the other day at the rate of over $40 for two. Insane.
If you hunt the bow zones/248 Strathcona… you can get another 5 deer tags.

LC
Old 10-30-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Can we keep this on topic and not get into that whole "extra privileges" thing.
Well Im certainly not rich I can afford to buy food, but its looking like I will need a high protein, low fat diet with wild meat being the best choice. I have no problem paying for licenses or tags when the seasons are open. The issue is I may need an extra deer in the off season as I use up my meat.

Since I cant find the form to see exactly what the medical requirements are, I have left a message with a F&W office to see if I qualify should the need arise.
Keep this on topic ??? This thread is discussing extra hunting privileges to someone out of season ...seems someone wants to be a native without actually playing the part...I don't buy the need for anyone ,native or other ,hunting out of season especially when wait times for draws in many areas is as long as 10 years plus ..The price of hunting is not cheap ,gas ,equipment etc ...spend that money on some kind of meat instead ...the price of a tank of gas buys a lit if burger ...As some on here have mentioned there are plenty of extra opportunities thru the hunting seasons available if one insists on wild meat .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2022, 09:15 AM

There is store bought elk/venison and bison available to supplement hunting season.

I highly doubt Fish & Wildlife will hand out a subsistence permit because a person needs high protein food.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:06 AM

You're not going to get a subsistence permit based on a medical reason to eat lean meat.

Hopefully your doctor is smart enough to know that wild game is not the only source of lean protein. A competent doctor would never tell the government that you NEED wild meat to satisfy your noted nutritional requirements. If he does, you should reconsider his competency.

Now, if you are really determined to obtain a subsistence permit, you can make your case including a doctor's letter stating your need for lean meat. You will need more to convince the government that you need this permit.

It will be easier and less expensive for you to just hunt within the licences available, which can include birds and small game, and literally over a dozen deer tags a year, plus maybe moose, elk, and others that require no licence and can be hunted year round. ....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-30-2022, 01:18 PM

Ya this idea of needing subsistence hunting privileges to satisfy a high protein low fat diet is about as likely to happen as 10 cent a liter gas .

There are plenty of Bison ,elk, and deer farms around that would be more than happy to sell you several hundred lbs of lean ,high protein meat. They might even let you sneak up on said animal and hang a sold sign on it.
Old 10-30-2022, 03:29 PM

I don’t know if F&W still does it, but I know there used to be a list. If you had dietary restrictions you could ask to be on the list, although I’m pretty sure ability and income played into it. When there was meat available they would call and hand it out. As others have said I highly doubt they’re going to cut anyone an extra tag.
Closed Thread