Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-31-2016, 12:25 AM
Banned

Default ATA Tanning Price Increase

Today I picked up a few pelts at the ATA that I put in through them for tanning. I thought that I'd pass on that the tanning prices have increased significantly so no one gets a heart attack the next time that you take something in.

Some of the new prices:
Mink = $50
Fox = $85
Beaver SM = $75
Beaver LG = $90
Coyote = $90
Skunk = $75
Ermine = $35
Bear = $375

An increase on fox I could have done without of.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:59 AM

Must have just changed the ones I dropped off in April were still old price.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:03 AM

What's a wolf cost now?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:51 AM

Default tanning

Yes my heart went into my throat seeing the price change, most things have almost doubled. All though the ATA has nothing to do with the price its International Fur that changed there price it sad cause they do such nice work. I just received a wolverine and fisher back that they did great job on I paid $90 for the wolverine and with new price its $225! That's outrageous increase! New prices in effect as of May 2016

Wolf has increased to $225
Old 05-31-2016, 08:54 AM

The price of fur is so high they must have thought that they were missing out! Time to shop around I guess
Old 05-31-2016, 03:16 PM

That is still a better price for tanning then local tanneries.
Beaver are at $4.00 per lineal inch
Fox ar at $150.00

Paul
Old 05-31-2016, 07:01 PM

What determines the cost of something to tan?

Is it size? Square inches? Supply vs demmand?
Old 05-31-2016, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
What determines the cost of something to tan?

Is it size? Square inches? Supply vs demmand?
Through the ATA there is a flat rate by species except for beaver. A beaver pelt less than 47" is $75 and a beaver pelt over 47" is $90. Also, a bear is $375 and a bear cub is $225. I'll guess that as the cost to tan rises for the tanning company so do our costs.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Some of the new prices:
Mink = $50
Fox = $85
Beaver SM = $75
Beaver LG = $90
Coyote = $90
Skunk = $75
Ermine = $35
Bear = $375
I just received a new price list from International Fur Dressers and I called them to confirm that the list was accurate and not an old price list. It is.
I also confirmed the new ATA prices. I'm not sure why the +60% increase on some species but some of Halford's tanned pelts are selling for less than the tanning cost. It's hard to compete with that and I think that it's worth looking into what it'll cost me to ship things myself.

International Fur Dressers prices:

Mink = $30
Fox = $60
Beaver SM = $45
Beaver LG = $60.50
Coyote = $70
Skunk = $55
Ermine = $30
Bear = $250
Old 10-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
Yes my heart went into my throat seeing the price change, most things have almost doubled. All though the ATA has nothing to do with the price its International Fur that changed there price it sad cause they do such nice work. I just received a wolverine and fisher back that they did great job on I paid $90 for the wolverine and with new price its $225! That's outrageous increase! New prices in effect as of May 2016

Wolf has increased to $225
The new International Fur Dressers price for both Wolverine and Timber Wolf is $175.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:17 PM

if you send directly to International fur, they also charges extra for case skinned pelts for fox I think its an extra $6.
10% enviro fee and GST. Add that to your $20 export permit and shipping and its hard to find a deal out there.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
if you send directly to International fur, they also charges extra for case skinned pelts for fox I think its an extra $6.
10% enviro fee and GST. Add that to your $20 export permit and shipping and its hard to find a deal out there.
Have you shipped direct, Phil?

Case skinned is an extra $5. GST is added at the ATA as well so that is not an additional expense. A CITES permit is free but I don't know if it's the same as a Fur Import/Export Permit. Without researching it too much it appears to me that the costs added to IFD prices would be $5 for case skinned, 10% eco fee, plus shipping costs (Both ways?). I suppose that it wouldn't be a big deal for one fox pelt but could make a difference if you are sending in 5 to 10. I'll have to research and do the math on this one.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Have you shipped direct, Phil?

Case skinned is an extra $5. GST is added at the ATA as well so that is not an additional expense. A CITES permit is free but I don't know if it's the same as a Fur Import/Export Permit. Without researching it too much it appears to me that the costs added to IFD prices would be $5 for case skinned, 10% eco fee, plus shipping costs (Both ways?). I suppose that it wouldn't be a big deal for one fox pelt but could make a difference if you are sending in 5 to 10. I'll have to research and do the math on this one.
It cost me just under 100 each for 6 pelts after shipping and export permit was paid for. Not sure you can get a CITIES permit for animals not covered under the program. If you can thats sweet that they are free. Would save me 20 bucks on the next batch
Old 10-05-2016, 01:26 AM

Just a thought here fellas,

I like what I read when Dave mentioned something like "as the costs increase, so do ours!"

In saying that, what say you all in regards to the pricing of furs.. where the oil companies determine the cost of a barrel of oil(please correct me if I am wrong, merely using it as an example. As I'm sure the market has much more to do with it than I truly know. I am certainly not exactly economically educated nor very efficient in my noggin'.. as I will embarrassingly admit.. if I really want something, price never matters as much as it should. And if I sell it, we'll.. depends on how bad I want it gone.. my method pay high sell low lol.. has always been a vice.

So now to get at what I'm trying to say is.. to me, it seems that many nations or several companies, and people(fur buyers) are looking for an awful lot of Canadian fur.. My question is.. why do we sell so low? Shouldn't we have more say, if not near complete say in the price of our furs?

It seems to me that an awful lot of fur which every trapper works his and or her butt off, spending hard earned money to be able to purchase fuel, and equipment. Supplies and the mere enormous amount of labour required in planning, setting, acquiring permissions, licences, RFMA's, credentials, courses, vehicles.. and on and on.. not to mention the hours put in on fur preparation and handling from the line, skinning shed to the depot or auction.

To me it just doesn't make much sense yet, where I'm thinking supply and demand. (In my thoughts being) if they want even a beaver, let alone a Fischer, Wolf, Wolverine, or Marten.. "hey if you want what we have to offer, and worked our hind ends off for.. this is the price!"

And yes at 41, I'm still trying to figure out this supply vs demand economics.
It seems to vary, to where the "opposite" side always seems to have the upper hand lol.
Being in such demand, why don't we have more say? I mean, if we all stuck together in this.. (which I've come to understand is an awful long shot to ask) but really.. wouldn't we be able to get more dollar per square inch? Kinda figure everyone would be game for that.
As was mentioned in a previous thread, if we all kept our "you name it" furs in the freezer for a certain amount of time, couldn't we demand more? I understand a person needs to provide and make a dollar, but I think we all do something else to make ends meet for the most part?!
Short term sacrifice for the long term gain?!

Just thinking and wondering out loud. Trying to make sense of it all..

It's funny how the prices of everything seem to go up, even booze, and cigarettes.. I don't worry much about them as I'm not a smoker, and don't drink as much as I probably should..LOL..they say they're taxes that push them over the top.. well... not the same with oil, no? I don't know.. and heck.. now I'm just rambling.

But an $8 beaver? Let alone $30? Jeez.. how many cold and wet Canadian winters did that sucker have to endure without a wood stove and a hot chocolate or a Timmies. And the price of a Lynx to me seems terribly unappreciated.. some of these Canadian fur bearers aren't exactly over abundant.. I think we should be receiving a much better price for a well handled and properly prepared fur, than I see. Hmmm...
Old 10-05-2016, 08:20 AM

Called International fur myself. Drop off a beaver there and it will only cost you $60-65!. Thank god my family lives in Manitoba as I will be sending my fur back with them to drop off at International Fur in Winnipeg directly! Much cheaper if you send to them directly. All you need is a fur export permit from your local F&W office.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:17 AM

Seige, you have presented a good case to get our fur prices back into range that might pay half the cost of material and labour we put into harvest most of our animals. Some of the prices we get are the same or less than what fur brought 50 years ago. Most prices should have a extra zero added for todays dollar. We should put half of our skins into cold storage until fair prices return.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Banned

Seige, I hear what you're saying wrt the price of fur at auction but fur is a commodity and the value of it will fluctuate. The price for tanning is a little different and I doubt that the cost will go down before it goes up again. There's no point in holding onto those pelts waiting for the price for tanning to go down.

With the increase in cost to get things tanned it doesn't make sense to pay to get some species tanned. For example, IFD charges $30 to get an ermine tanned but halfords sells a tanned ermine for $27.50. Skunk is $55 at IFD and Halfords charges $49.95 for a tanned skunk. Obviously it doesn't make sense to send those species in to get tanned and then try to sell them and make any profit.

I like to get my fox tanned because they don't bring in much at auction and they are attractive to sell. I can still make a bit more of a profit doing it that way even with the price increase but it's getting close to just sending them in to auction. Let's say I have 10 pelts to tan at the IFD price of $60 per pelt for a total cost of $600. Through the ATA it would cost $850 which costs me an extra $250. For me, it's worth researching whether or not it's worth cutting out the middle man and shipping them myself.

This is not a slight on the ATA, they have to cover their expenses and generate a profit at the same time. I'm not talking big bucks but if I can save $100, then that's $100 in my pocket. I have to research this further in order to determine if there is any savings by shipping myself and if the savings is worth the added effort.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:24 PM

Guys, I've never asked before on the forum, but do you have to be a trapper to get these tanning prices?

I have a couple buffalo hides at a local taxi shop for tanning. I realize they are significantly larger and require more work and the price increases but I'm curious about smaller game. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2016, 06:51 PM

Has anyone used Maverick Tannery in Unity? Their prices seem not too bad.

Thanks TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:45 PM

Default Maverick Tannery

I have used them in the Past. I will not us them again.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:44 AM

http://www.highcountrywildlife.ca/me...%20-%20pdf.pdf
Old 10-06-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
x2