Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-31-2016, 11:21 PM

Default 999 is the best

999 is the best. Those that don't like it are using it wrong.

I hunt in a group with about 8-10 regulars. 999 means we can stack our draws so that we get 1-2 moose draws a year and 1-2 elk draws a year amongst our group. This is very important since we share all our meat amongst a few families. Without 999 we'd probably go without moose meat some years and I like my moose meat.

Also it allows me to stagger hunts that are special to me. I can set it up so my wainwright hunt, southern Alberta mulie hunt, and moose hunts fall on different years. Maybe mix in an antelope hunt on a year where I have nothing (it's up to me). This is very important to me in regards to scheduling time off work and family commitments. There's no way I could do all the hunts in a year if 999 didn't exist and I happened to get drawn for everything. Also it wouldn't be as fun if I had to wait 3-4 years between getting to do a special travel hunt.

I gladly sometimes let som of you go ahead of me on a particular draw even though I have ample priority to get drawn so that I can draw my tag for a year that I actually have the time available to put towards the hunt that is required for me to enjoy it and hopefully be successful.

Those that don't use 999, you're welcome for me letting you go ahead of me sometimes, and don't hate on me for accumulating points because I understand the system and how to use it to most benefit my experience in the field.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:23 PM

Working as intended!

LC
Old 05-31-2016, 11:26 PM

Winner winner chicken dinner
Good post
Old 05-31-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
999 is the best. Those that don't like it are using it wrong.

I hunt in a group with about 8-10 regulars. 999 means we can stack our draws so that we get 1-2 moose draws a year and 1-2 elk draws a year amongst our group. This is very important since we share all our meat amongst a few families. Without 999 we'd probably go without moose meat some years and I like my moose meat.

Also it allows me to stagger hunts that are special to me. I can set it up so my wainwright hunt, southern Alberta mulie hunt, and moose hunts fall on different years. Maybe mix in an antelope hunt on a year where I have nothing (it's up to me). This is very important to me in regards to scheduling time off work and family commitments. There's no way I could do all the hunts in a year if 999 didn't exist and I happened to get drawn for everything. Also it wouldn't be as fun if I had to wait 3-4 years between getting to do a special travel hunt.

I gladly sometimes let som of you go ahead of me on a particular draw even though I have ample priority to get drawn so that I can draw my tag for a year that I actually have the time available to put towards the hunt that is required for me to enjoy it and hopefully be successful.

Those that don't use 999, you're welcome for me letting you go ahead of me sometimes, and don't hate on me for accumulating points because I understand the system and how to use it to most benefit my experience in the field.

Have you been following the other thread on this? Thank you for posting this thread. I totally agree with you!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:33 PM

A lot of high priorities... Not sure if work or finances would allow proper opportunity.... It'll be 999 across the board this year...
Old 05-31-2016, 11:40 PM

That's what is supposed to do. I don't get all the hate on for it. My son and I stagger our draws so that we don't end up with two moose and an elk all in the same year - so yes we use 999.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Have you been following the other thread on this? Thank you for posting this thread. I totally agree with you!
Yes I've been following the other thread in regards to once in a lifetime draws, but I think it got a bit derailed by the 999 haters. I don't think that was the intention of that thread and thought I'd start a new one.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:48 PM

Thats right, procrastinators will take over the world,.... Someday....
Whats the saying, seize the day??? No, its now create super long lines so everyone can wait their turn till the time is right,.... until almost everyone is waiting till the time is right.....
Do you know what the simularities between procrastination and masterbation are?

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?

Last edited by catnthehat; 06-01-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:51 PM

Never concerned myself with people using 999, I don't see the issue except for the jealously factor.
If a person has built up points well good for them!
Cat
Old 05-31-2016, 11:55 PM

Thumbs up

999...Best thing since sliced bread....IMO
Old 06-01-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Whats the saying, seize the day??? No, its now create super long lines so everyone can wait their turn till the time is right,.... until almost everyone is waiting till the time is right.....
You still didn't look at this did you??

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting...t/Default.aspx

Last edited by catnthehat; 06-01-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Do you know what the simularities between procrastination and masterbationare?
Has nothing to do with procrastinating, has everything to do with methodical planning.

You still don't get it! Take a line, then half the line steps aside and you don't...you get to the front faster. Get it now?

If everyone was MADE to enter draws, your wait would increase...simple statistics again.

You can lead a horse to water and explain the system over and over again but if the horse backs up to the water hole he will die from thirst...have you heard that one?

LC

Last edited by catnthehat; 06-01-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:22 AM

I explained how I use the 999 system to my benefit. It is a system and I use it to enhance my enjoyment in the field.

The statistical analysis of the system shouldn't even be up for debate.

There are a certain amount of tags. This doesn't change regardless of how many hunters 999. If X number of hunters choose to 999 for whatever reason, work commitments, financial, other hunts scheduled, pregnant or wife pregnant, that only serves to increase the odds of others getting drawn while not losing your place in line as the 999er.

There's literally no downside to the 999 system other than those who 999 don't get drawn as often as they would if they put in for valid WMUs and they don't because it's a tool to organize their hunting schedules years in advance. Which in turn benefits everyone else.

I wouldn't want the 999 to ever be eliminated, but if it was, I'd love to see the haters complaining about increased draw time waits.

I feel like Will Farrell in zoolander. "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Am I the only one who sees this?" (other than lefty of course).
Old 06-01-2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
I explained how I use the 999 system to my benefit. It is a system and I use it to enhance my enjoyment in the field.

The statistical analysis of the system shouldn't even be up for debate.

There are a certain amount of tags. This doesn't change regardless of how many hunters 999. If X number of hunters choose to 999 for whatever reason, work commitments, financial, other hunts scheduled, pregnant or wife pregnant, that only serves to increase the odds of others getting drawn while not losing your place in line as the 999er.

There's literally no downside to the 999 system other than those who 999 don't get drawn as often as they would if they put in for valid WMUs and they don't because it's a tool to organize their hunting schedules years in advance. Which in turn benefits everyone else.

I wouldn't want the 999 to ever be eliminated, but if it was, I'd love to see the haters complaining about increased draw time waits.

I feel like Will Farrell in zoolander. "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Am I the only one who sees this?" (other than lefty of course).
Nope, you're not the only one who sees it! I love the 999 system.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Yep, if you use the system as intended or think outside the box...success

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-01-2016, 05:36 AM

I think it's a great system and use it as intended. I'm originally from BC and in my eyes the priority based draw beats the lottery based draw hands down.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:15 AM

999 should be my licence plate #. Best thing ever.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:16 AM

The people that think that using 999 increases the wait times need to go back to school and take math again, and this time pay attention. 999 is a great planning tool , that let's me take my draws when I want them, but I always end up waiting longer than other people in order to make that happen. And if you didn't get drawn with your P4 because some P8s decided to draw this year, too bad for you, those P8s waited for 8 years, and you have only waited for 4 tears.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:25 AM

I too like the 999! Good job Alberta SRD!
Old 06-01-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
It allows you to the front of the line faster. Simple math. Love the system myself
Old 06-01-2016, 08:15 AM

I love the 999 as well. I retire next year and I have been diligently building up big priorities for the draws so I will get drawn when retired and I can go afield and spend as much time as I want chasing which ever draw I choose to get that year.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I'm priority 14 on a couple animals. I could get drawn every 3 years, but since I 999 for the last 15 years it has opened up 5 draws for someone else like you.
I lived in BC for 18 years, I put in 5 or 6 draws every year, I never once got a single draw for anything in all that time.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:27 AM

I'm guessing people don't understand something- they take out all their anger on 999 but that's the scape goat. Really they can't stand a priority system. They just don't recognize that. I'm guessing some would prefer a lottery? I can hunt elk every year. Whities. Mule deer does every year. Mulie bucks every 3/4 in my zone. Moose every year or two. What's not to like about hunting Alberta!??!
Old 06-01-2016, 08:34 AM

I love 999

Means I can pull tags I want every other year, when I'm not aloud to hunt sheep
Last year, I had time for a goat hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-01-2016, 08:35 AM

Are the 999 aps included in the stats for the individual draws ?
Old 06-01-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Are the 999 aps included in the stats for the individual draws ?
Yes look at the bottom it says how many used 999 for a draw code.

LC
Old 06-01-2016, 08:44 AM

999 is great. Works for everyone.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:52 AM

Default 999

999 works great and allows me to plan my hunts with no chance of being drawn unless I screw up pn my application.

In the past I spent a great deal of time studying the previous year's draw statistics so I could apply for tags I had no chance of getting just to increase my priority. I had one occasion where SRD suddenly added a bunch of Antlerless Mule tags to an area and suddenly I was drawn for an area I knew nothing about and way too many miles from home. 999 avoids these issues.

The prioriy system at least allows a chance to hunt a species whereas the lottery system could mean I would never be drawn, depending on my luck.

Phil
Old 06-01-2016, 08:54 AM

I'd like to be able to buy one to say...4 years worth of 999 at once.knowing that I don't have a chance at (bull moose) in any less than 5 years of applying. If I want to pull a tag prior to the four years I forfeit the unused years of the prepurchase. Having a screwup or missing a 999 draw will only add a year to my quest.
this really should be available for every drawcode.
Draws for 999 should be available for purchase 24/365 not just after the draw window.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31

Last edited by roger; 06-01-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:10 AM

999 is fabulous. It's a vital part of our draw system and greatly enhances planning well beyond anything else, plain and simple. I always get a good laugh at the long wait time complainers, they always seem to forget that wait times are much more affected by hunter numbers and herd populations, not a priority point system where people can wait their turn to draw tags. I think a lot of people need to go back to high school and do some basic level math review before complaining about a system that works and does what it is intended to do! Well done SRD.