Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2021, 09:52 AM

Default Mini split a/c units

Looking to buy one,dont know anything about them.Plan on going through my outside wall in my living room.House is a bungalow,i have window units in bedrooms on one end of house.Thinking the split would work for the living room kitchen.Approx 500 sqft.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:17 PM

We built in 2016 and have 4 ductless mini-splits cooling about 2100 SF upstairs. The largest unit cools (or can heat) about 1000 SF in the great-room. Smaller units are in the master bedroom, den and sewing room. A fifth unit is set up with a Cool Bot controller in the cold room where we can hang meat.

The only thing that "comes though the outside wall" are the refrigerant supply and return lines from the outside refrigeration system. Note that they all have condensate drain lines that must be routed to your sewer system.

So far we like the mini-splits...they are an efficient system as we only AC the areas of the house we are in. We did have a fan bearing failure on the main unit ductless unit within the warranty period and the manufacturer only covered the bearing, not the replacement. That unit runs 24/7 year around as it does a great job of eliminating the thermal gradient that occur in the great room with high ceilings whether heating, running AC or just keeping the air moving.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post

. Note that they all have condensate drain lines that must be routed to your sewer system.
I thought it would just run through the wall with the other lines and drip outside?
Old 07-07-2021, 09:42 AM

Following as I am starting to look into this for my house as well.

I did notice that Costco has a promotion on with Lennox right now:

https://www.costco.ca/lennox-home-co....10318178.html
Old 07-07-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
I thought it would just run through the wall with the other lines and drip outside?
From what I know, you can drain outside, but you want to have it drip a ways away from your foundation. Kinda like you don't want your drain pipe draining right at the foundation.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:23 PM

I bought my mini split heat pump from Amazon. The brand name is Senville. I believe it's 28000 btu 220 volt. I installed it myself and it took roughly 1.5 days. You will need a flare kit, vacuum pump and some A/c gauges. The mini split systems comes pre-charged, so you just need to vacuum out the a/c lines to make sure there's no leaks and all the moisture is removed from the lines. I'm very pleased with the system. During the heat wave it kept our house at 21 degrees on the lowest setting. Also, you don't even know it's on when it's on the lowest fan setting. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210707_231242211.jpg (39.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-07-2021, 05:46 PM

I forgot to mention that you need to install a secondary cut off switch to ensure the safety of the technician.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210707_233804162.MP~3.jpg (56.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 07-08-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher8 View Post
I bought my mini split heat pump from Amazon. The brand name is Senville. I believe it's 28000 btu 220 volt. I installed it myself and it took roughly 1.5 days. You will need a flare kit, vacuum pump and some A/c gauges. The mini split systems comes pre-charged, so you just need to vacuum out the a/c lines to make sure there's no leaks and all the moisture is removed from the lines. I'm very pleased with the system. During the heat wave it kept our house at 21 degrees on the lowest setting. Also, you don't even know it's on when it's on the lowest fan setting. Good luck!
How big of hole was needed?Is there something that comes with the unit for the wall or is it just drill a hole and silicone it shut? Thx.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:58 AM

I think I drilled a 3 1/4 inch hole. I used spray foam to seal the hole after. I bought a PVC decorative line kit to hide the ugly a/c lines. The kit has a outside hole cover. You just need to silicone around it.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher8 View Post
I think I have the same wedge table as you do! Very nice!

Never thought of a DIY like that. I have a friend who is looking to put something into his place - this may fit the bill! Thank you.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:04 PM

I forgot to mention that I installed a pvc pipe at a slight angle through the wall to run the a/c lines. I think it's essential, so moisture doesn't end up in your wall.