Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2012, 06:39 PM

Default an awkward moment at muir today..

This family there was fishing with pike or walleye jigs. I kinda wanted to go over and give them a lil advice on trout fishing . But they were having fun so I let them be...

What's your awkward fishing moment?
Old 05-27-2012, 06:58 PM

Being up to my neck today trying to put the plug in my boat before it filled completely with water.

That was 9 hours ago and I'm still cold.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-27-2012, 08:35 PM

,,,seeing a group of 2 adults.... and 3 kids..... in a tiny row boat.... rowing out a long way just to fish and had a motor on the back but didnt use it, lol
Old 05-27-2012, 10:20 PM

haha lol i flooded the motor at first it started for the ride back like id let a lil bit of rowing stop me the kids wanted fish and i made sure they got em lol i didnt even fish
Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
haha lol i flooded the motor at first it started for the ride back like id let a lil bit of rowing stop me the kids wanted fish and i made sure they got em lol i didnt even fish
Good on yah...hope the kids enjoyed their day......
That's a pretty busy lake on the weekends isn't it?...nobody offered to help get the kids fishing????
Old 05-27-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Being up to my neck today trying to put the plug in my boat before it filled completely with water.

lol that's awesome. i did that once before too. first boat i owned and first time i put it in the water. i made a check list, but for some reason i skipped that

never again

knock on wood
Old 05-27-2012, 10:47 PM

Hahaaaa entertaning stories I love it
Old 05-27-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

I did that at Gull lake when the launch was packed with people. Needless to say it was a hard lesson learned. My pride took a big hit lol.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:56 PM

Lost the prop on my 70 Evinrude while going wide open across the lake many years ago. After about a half hr of paddling someone took pity on us and towed us back to shore.

Oh, and the boat plug thing, been there for that episode too lol . There are two groups of boaters out there . Those who have forgotten to put the plug in ,and those who lie and tell you they have never forgot.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:22 AM
Banned

when "FULL REVERSE" was misheard as "FULL AHEAD" and we drove our 220 ton tugboat through the lake okanokan marina destroying their docks and numerous boats was REALLY awkward.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:33 AM

Exclamation Akward

When I told these guys three times that it was illegal to use bait in the sheep and they just sat in front of me like what do you know!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepriverrules View Post
When I told these guys three times that it was illegal to use bait in the sheep and they just sat in front of me like what do you know!
Some people just don't check things out before they go out.. could result in trouble. I allways ask this fourm or search it somewere before I check out somewere new lol
Old 05-28-2012, 08:54 AM

we had a blast big waves the kids all caught fish the kids have all been brought up tough so why would a measly rowing stop us and like its far to the drop from the launch i ran outta gas at wab by seba and had to row back to the town where i parked in a brutal windy day now that is a long hard go lol id do the pigeon row anyday
Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Default awkward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieishere View Post
This family there was fishing with pike or walleye jigs. I kinda wanted to go over and give them a lil advice on trout fishing . But they were having fun so I let them be...

What's your awkward fishing moment?
I saw a similar incident a few years ago on the dock at Hasse, except the guy was using a 4" banjo minnow, while everyone else was using small presentations and catching lots of 8" stockers.I was thinking of asking him if he would like to borrow a rig when he hooked and landed a rainbow of about 20".Awesome.
I have bought a few packs of those banjo minnows since. You just never know.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
that was you at the Pigeon Lake P.P.? if so hope you guys landed a bunch. We seen some big boat that needed a tow in to the launch.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
when "FULL REVERSE" was misheard as "FULL AHEAD" and we drove our 220 ton tugboat through the lake okanokan marina destroying their docks and numerous boats was REALLY awkward.
oooooooooh.....

I don't feel so bad about my story now

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-28-2012, 12:10 PM

Only been boating for a few years, but here's my list:

Forgot to put the plug in the tinny, heard the glug glug so I yelled "pull me out, pull me out". Only took on 3 gallons and nobody was around to hear me (except my wife).

Forgot to pull up anchor once. Seriously hindered the performance of the 35 hp Johnson.

Took out a prop (luckily not the whole leg) on a submerged island at full throttle with 3 passengers on board. No injuries, thank God! Had my spare prop on it and back fishing in 10 minutes. Embarrassing though.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:45 PM

Forgot to take off the straps on the back, remembered in time before the back was submerged. Awkward!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 PM

I took my young son out on the May long weekend to Meadow lake about 30 years ago. Found out that the fishing season didn't start till the next day on sat. morning. We were the only ones at the campsite. I decided we would go out on the lake and look around for spots we might want to target the next day. We went about 1 to 2 miles and spotted a long isthmus jutting into the lake. We went around the corner a ways and spotted a cow moose who had just calved 2 little darlings.The 2 young ones couldn't stand up. We watched from a distance far at least half an hour and they finally got their legs and started to walk with mother towards the entrance. I knew that they would be much safer where they were so we left. My son was just beside himself and he still talks about it.
Just as we came back around the point I remembered that I had forgot to mix oil in the tank. Shut off the motor. We (ME) ended up rowing for over 2 hours to get back to camp. The motor ended up ok. I got a lot of exercise. We both got a great experience and I learned to make sure there was always oil in the tank.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 PM

My first trip out . I'm no stranger to water but them southern resivours are much different as I found out ,

No it wasn't doing the 360' on hwy 2 south but that was scary stuff .

Launched my new boat all good to go . Get going and I go to go around a corner was about 75 yards out from where a point came out but it came out about a 150 . I didn't bust my prop but sure gave it a polishing good thing I wasn't trimmed down all the way .
Old 05-30-2012, 05:50 AM

I run a drift soak out the back of my jet boat to keep it strait in the river. Forgot it once and soon as I hit the gas it blowed up real good.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:08 AM

I hooked myself last night in the back off my neck with a nymph lol