Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 AM

Default Fishing in Calgary?

Hey forum members i will be visiting Calgary in coming weeks. i am not familiar with Calgary at all so please bare with me.I would love to get some fishing in on my break somewhere within easy access of the city as i have no truck or car.

I would be fly fishing mostly maybe with the odd bit of spinning i have been looking for information on the elbow and bow river but the sheer volume of information is confusing.so basically could any of you guys recommend a couple of areas to try? i have been looking into fish creek park would it meet my needs?

And one last question is it one licence i need? or do i need to get day permits to fish the river as-well?

Also i will be using barb-less hooks as i practice catch and release quite a lot so maybe a if anyone could recommend a good tackle shop in Calgary to stock up on thanks so much for any help its most greatful
Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtrout View Post
Hey forum members i will be visiting Calgary in coming weeks. i am not familiar with Calgary at all so please bare with me.I would love to get some fishing in on my break somewhere within easy access of the city as i have no truck or car.

I would be fly fishing mostly maybe with the odd bit of spinning i have been looking for information on the elbow and bow river but the sheer volume of information is confusing.so basically could any of you guys recommend a couple of areas to try? i have been looking into fish creek park would it meet my needs?

And one last question is it one licence i need? or do i need to get day permits to fish the river as-well?

Also i will be using barb-less hooks as i practice catch and release quite a lot
so maybe a if anyone could recommend a good tackle shop in Calgary to stock up on thanks so much for any help its most greatful
Try The Fishin Hole in Sunridge, lots of selection for your fishing needs.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:32 AM

forget about fishing the bow or elbow right now . It's like chocolate milk from the flooding
Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtrout View Post

All public water in Alberta is accessible with a single license. Most streamer beds are public too, up to the normal high water mark.

Hopefully you can find some fishing to do while you visit our province.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 AM

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
forget about fishing the bow or elbow right now . It's like chocolate milk from the flooding
Sorry i did not mean now i meant in 2 or 3 weeks i am aware of the floods and my heart goes out to ye guys/gals i don't mean to offend with my post. just wanted to know some general areas to try.

Thanks looked that up on the net seems to have a great website so hopefully the shop will be just as good
Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP2 View Post
All public water in Alberta is accessible with a single license. Most streamer beds are public too, up to the normal high water mark.

Hopefully you can find some fishing to do while you visit our province.
Thanks very much for your kind reply hopefully i have decided to fish barbless as we mostly do that here in ireland so i will do the same in calgary thanks again.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 AM

this could take a month to clear up . Looking like it's going to be hot for a while so that should help . I would be looking into surrounding lakes or anything not on the river watershed