Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-01-2013, 12:24 PM

Default Marcum extension cable???

Ok guys....first off, I am not an electronics guru.

I am sure this little project is super easy to do but honestly need some help on the how's and where to buy's to get this done.

I have a Marcum VS380 cam. Of course, that is the old cam and as such, Marcum felt 60 feet was long enough for the cam cable. I disagree and Spray Lakes has proved me correct.

The cable is 60 ft while newer models are all now 75 ft. What I would like to do is have the plug that goes into the back of the monitor actually based right at the hole (just above the panner). All I need to do is build an extension cord (so to speak) that has the female end at the panner and a male end to plug into the back of the monitor. That way, I have the maximum 60 ft range right at the hole and not wasting another +/- 10 ft. from the cam hole to inside my tent.

The prob is this: what kind of cable and plugs do I need? Where do I find them?

I realize that I could prob sell this cam and get a VS385 (and that may just happen) but I am wondering if this can be done. Would there also be a way to make that connection waterproof? Could a guy make the cable length 100ft or more by making that connection waterproof and strong enough to support the weight of the cam without worrying about break-off?

Any thoughts out there? Anyone done it already?

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 12-01-2013, 12:53 PM

I don't have a solution to your problem. But I do have a question of curiosity. Do you actually think you will see anything on the screen at 75+ FOW? I hate using my camera past 10-15 FOW. Personally, I can't see anything on the screen in deeper water and as winter progresses light penetration through thickening snow and thicker ice makes it more difficult to see.

I supposed if your brave you could always splice another cable on and get heat shrink tubing with the silicone inside. No guarantee's that its submersible though. Well I tried.

-JohnnyD
Old 12-01-2013, 12:58 PM

Fair comments, Johnny.

But the short answer is yes. I was fishing with someone at Spray who has a newer model Marcum and they could see on the bottom at that depth...quite well actually. And that surprised me.

But the fact that you seem to have problems with your cam past 10-15 FOW makes me wonder...do you have a Marcum? I have heard other brands are 'snowy' etc. at any type of depth.

I regularly use mine in 15-25 FOW and even though it is b+w (which I think i prefer for contrast sake) it is ridiculously clear!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 12-01-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
Ok guys....first off, I am not an electronics guru.

I am sure this little project is super easy to do but honestly need some help on the how's and where to buy's to get this done.

I have a Marcum VS380 cam. Of course, that is the old cam and as such, Marcum felt 60 feet was long enough for the cam cable. I disagree and Spray Lakes has proved me correct.

The cable is 60 ft while newer models are all now 75 ft. What I would like to do is have the plug that goes into the back of the monitor actually based right at the hole (just above the panner). All I need to do is build an extension cord (so to speak) that has the female end at the panner and a male end to plug into the back of the monitor. That way, I have the maximum 60 ft range right at the hole and not wasting another +/- 10 ft. from the cam hole to inside my tent.

The prob is this: what kind of cable and plugs do I need? Where do I find them?

I realize that I could prob sell this cam and get a VS385 (and that may just happen) but I am wondering if this can be done. Would there also be a way to make that connection waterproof? Could a guy make the cable length 100ft or more by making that connection waterproof and strong enough to support the weight of the cam without worrying about break-off?

Any thoughts out there? Anyone done it already?
I am very interested in this also! I have the Marcum 385C and the picture at ~70' is pretty good and I would be willing to go 100'+ if possible. The main issue that I can see is the camera may fail at 100' and 58psi and allow water in.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:26 PM

Good point Mayuan...never really thought of pressure issues.

Frankly, I would just be happy to get that extra 15 feet you guys with the 385 have!

Old 12-01-2013, 02:27 PM

I think Mayuan hit the main point I'd be concerned about - the water pressure as you get down deeper for a camera head that may not be designed for that depth.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I think Mayuan hit the main point I'd be concerned about - the water pressure as you get down deeper for a camera head that may not be designed for that depth.
I might be calling the Marcum guys during this week to also find out why you can't seem to buy another camera to plug into the back of my monitor. I will try to get some of the answers to these questions...

Old 12-01-2013, 03:19 PM

I called Marcum about this very issue last year and they told me that their cameras were not rated for 100 ft. Nothing preventing a person from ignoring that advise and doing their own splice but Marcum won't help you out with it.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 AM

Marcum is really good to deal with, I had bad transducer cable on my LX6 flasher and they sent my a new transducer in less than a week from Minnesota. If they don't have it on their web site it doesn't mean they don't have it, call them and they will hook u up!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:08 AM

I was looking at the plugin on the Marcum camera and it looks a lot like the omni cable from lowrance. Less the center pin it might work.