Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 AM

Default Ice fishing Slave lake?

Just wanted to know how slave lake produces in the winter for walleye. I fish their in the summer on the east end but havent heard how it is to fish once the ice is on. And when can one expect to get on slave lake I know with the warmer weather we had i can probably expect to wait a while yet to try it out.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:28 PM

not sure about the east side but the west side is steady to good all winter long. catch a good mix of walleye, burbot and pike with the odd big perch. people move there shacks on around new years but this year is looking to be a little late. don't venture out onto the lake without knowing where your going in a truck. there is gas pockets that don't freeze. i found out the hard way and went through. stick to the well packed trails.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the heads up I think if we do venture up that way we will take the sleds. My uncle also dropped his truck through and then again with his sled so i dont like to drive across the ice at all.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Banned

East end is alright, last year was not so good by canyon and wide water but i had good luck around dog island when I could get on. Definatly stick to the trails, the pressure cracks can be dangerous in some places.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 PM

I have lived in slave since 92, and i found the more west you go the better the fishing is as the walleye's main spawning grounds are on the west tip of slave in the buffalo bay. I have never had any luck around dog island, 9 mile point will produce 1 walleye to about 12 burbot and slow. Found Canyon and widewater fairly slow as well with lots of burbot as well. I spend lots of time around Jousard alot better walleye/burbot ratio there.

As far as gas pocket's go i have always found the worst one's around the faust bay, big enough to lose a school bus in them, but good fishing there as well. Hope this helps