Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2016, 10:23 PM

Default Cline River

Hi all:

Tried my luck on the Cline and found it to be a difficult river to fish. First off we were on the westside of the river and the path heading upstream was not that great, grown in, tough to walk through. So laws of deduction would say to stay on the east side. I was wondering if there was any good tips/suggestions to fishing that river (how much further does one need to go, spincast vs. fly rod, types of tackle etc). I know there is a canyon section further up that is not navigable. We were using fly rods on our trip.

Many thanks
Old 07-03-2016, 11:23 PM
AO Sponsor

I fished there when I was a kid. We camped at the junction of Coral Creek and ventured day trips, crossing Coral Creek and heading upstream. Lotsa deep holes, full of bull trout, dollies back then. It was tough and often very dangerous ground to fish, shouldn't be done without some rope and harnesses. We found a goat trail on the second trip there crossing Coral Creek that was much more sane. I was 15-16 back the and had no business being in there, even when supervised (free handing) except when my grown up pulled out the harness. I should probably be dead today from that first day across the ravine.

Probably a great place to get eaten by a grizzly! I wouldn't dream of going into such ground without both a heavy magnum rifle and some bear spray, in my old age.

Gear, we fished the river with flies tipped with a rubber egg, but in my old age I would chase such fish with plugs and spoons. Maybe reduce the number of hooks to singles on the plugs so you can let the things go? Bulls eat plugs cutthroats eat bugs!