Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Default Vancouver Island fishing charters - Recommendations?

Does anyone have any personal experiences with or recommendations for fishing charters out of Vancouver Island (we'll be staying near Comox and Courtney...)

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
insomniac
Old 02-23-2011, 11:41 AM

ummmmm we have a member here who runs one, don't we? I'm not sure if he advertises here but I think his name is a combination of a town name and what he (and you) pursues...
Old 02-23-2011, 11:43 AM

That would be Tofino, the west side of the island. But I bet he could recomend someone on the inside.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 PM

Insomniac,

I'm glad to help if you want a recommendation for fishing the east side of the island. The fishery and related opportunities are considered limited by many when comparing east side of Van Isl. to the west side, where there are numerous options.

For our services offered out of Tofino, recomendations may come from AO members on here that have fished with us.

Please shoot a PM or provide more info on here regarding your plans to stay near Comox or if you might be interested to travel a few hours to fish Half or Full Day.

Regardless, I'll help where I can..
Old 02-24-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofinofish View Post
Insomniac,

I'm glad to help if you want a recommendation for fishing the east side of the island. The fishery and related opportunities are considered limited by many when comparing east side of Van Isl. to the west side, where there are numerous options.

For our services offered out of Tofino, recomendations may come from AO members on here that have fished with us.

Please shoot a PM or provide more info on here regarding your plans to stay near Comox or if you might be interested to travel a few hours to fish Half or Full Day.

Regardless, I'll help where I can..
Hmmm...depends where on inside...we get your WCVI fish and the inside passage fish before anyone else in Hardy lol Although can't compare places like Campbell River or McNeill to a place like Nootka or Tofino, that is true.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:08 PM

Agreed DSS, I wasn't considering Hardy as inside when referring to the inside being often less consistent. If Insomniac is prepared to travel a few hours to get to great fishing, he can go North or West. If he ends up relying on the Comox or CR area to provide him an experience that he is getting pumped up for, I'd hate to see him be disappointed rather than travelling a bit to a more consistent area. Agreed?

J.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:30 PM

I'm a west coast guy but I've heard good things about
http://www.painterslodge.com/ out of Campbell River.

cohod
Old 02-24-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofinofish View Post
Agreed DSS, I wasn't considering Hardy as inside when referring to the inside being often less consistent. If Insomniac is prepared to travel a few hours to get to great fishing, he can go North or West. If he ends up relying on the Comox or CR area to provide him an experience that he is getting pumped up for, I'd hate to see him be disappointed rather than travelling a bit to a more consistent area. Agreed?

J.
I was just joshing you Jay Hard to tell tone on forums and emails and what not though
Old 02-24-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohod View Post
I'm a west coast guy but I've heard good things about
http://www.painterslodge.com/ out of Campbell River.

cohod
Won't hold a candle to places like Tofino, Nootka, Hardy etc. If they get a fish over 30lbs they ring a bell in happiness...the bell don't ring too often, whereas places like WCVI with Jay and Hardy if we don't get one over 30lbs each day it's a shocker.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
I was just joshing you Jay Hard to tell tone on forums and emails and what not though

No worries about misconception on tone, I was not taking it that way... I just wanted to help Sleepless with the best options for his time and $$

We get numerous day trippers from all over the east side of the island, which I can't blame them for staying in a nice area like Parksville, getting good value on accommodations and surrounding amentities. Many who base in areas like this, I often recommend they do adventure day trips to other parts of the island, with recommendations often leading North and West, mostly due to less population and more green space.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the info guys - it's a good discussion.

Tofinofish, I'll send you a PM when we finalize the dates - (it's likely late June)
Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
Won't hold a candle to places like Tofino, Nootka, Hardy etc. If they get a fish over 30lbs they ring a bell in happiness...the bell don't ring too often, whereas places like WCVI with Jay and Hardy if we don't get one over 30lbs each day it's a shocker.
I hear what you’re saying and agree. I lived and fished the island for 30+ years Hardy, Nootka, Tofino, Ucluelet, Renfrew and most everywhere in between in shore and off shore, still have a cabin in Barkley sound that I try to get to every year.

The OP mentioned staying in Courtenay/Campbell River area it’s a long hall to Tofino or Hardy for a day trip. There is still some quality fishing to be had in the Campbell River area.

cohod
Old 02-25-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohod View Post
I hear what you’re saying and agree. I lived and fished the island for 30+ years Hardy, Nootka, Tofino, Ucluelet, Renfrew and most everywhere in between in shore and off shore, still have a cabin in Barkley sound that I try to get to every year.

The OP mentioned staying in Courtenay/Campbell River area it’s a long hall to Tofino or Hardy for a day trip. There is still some quality fishing to be had in the Campbell River area.

cohod
I agree with you Cohod, it has been getting better, but nothing like the glory days that helped make Campbell River known for fishing. It is a convenient option for people staying in Comox area.

J.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
Thanks for the info guys - it's a good discussion.

Tofinofish, I'll send you a PM when we finalize the dates - (it's likely late June)
Glad to help or e-mail me direct if you want.

J.