Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 PM

Default mooneye record

Has anyone broken the 1 pound mark this summer? I am pretty sure I have hit a pound a couple times, I will have to pay close attention now, another 3 ounces and the record will be falling. With the size and number of them around this summer, Im going to start paying close attention to what I catch. guess the pike will get a second chance to fatten up before winter and the best thing is, you never know when you will hook into a dinosaur while you are at it

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 PM

Default This is my biggest one

not too sure how much it weighed but im sure hes gonna be pushing a pound

Any idea of the weight?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 PM

Haha! I got a decent one couple days ago not a pound tho
Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 PM

nice fish FH, did you get a length? Ive been tossing a chrome spoon into them when they are rising and getting a lot, as well as on dew worms. they are great fighters

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-05-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
nice fish FH, did you get a length? Ive been tossing a chrome spoon into them when they are rising and getting a lot, as well as on dew worms. they are great fighters
absolutly not i though its a goldeye but after checking my photos its a mooneye.
the net is 25 inches long so figure it out as best as you guys can.

i got this guy on a yellow daves hoppers stripping it against the current.
white streamers also worked just as good
Old 08-05-2011, 10:26 PM

Somebody on AO is bound to set the new record this summer. I am hoping I can make it out to hook into a few pretty soon here on the fly. It would be quite the accomplishment to have your name in the record books.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:28 PM

ya i got all mooneye on the dries but if you switch to a small woolybugger the goldeye grabs it. im sure the recored mooneye was in reddeer. someguy must have took him before me. and there was the remains left a small white stonefly grub on a snell hook on a bober the guy left everything there.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Somebody on AO is bound to set the new record this summer. I am hoping I can make it out to hook into a few pretty soon here on the fly. It would be quite the accomplishment to have your name in the record books.
shhhhhhhhhhhhhh or you'll have Speckle55 in the books again
Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 PM

mooneye arnt a sportfish yet they have a record for one in the alberta regs 2011
Old 08-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
mooneye arnt a sportfish yet they have a record for one in the alberta regs 2011
If they aren't sport fish that means I can use them for pike tip up bait?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo2 View Post
If they aren't sport fish that means I can use them for pike tip up bait...
Good Idea we need F&W to confirm this
Old 08-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Good Idea we need F&W to confirm this
I'm pretty sure they're listed with gold eye because they're so similar and often confused, just like walleye and sauger.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 PM

but sauger is listed as a sportfish and mooneye isnt
Old 08-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
but sauger is listed as a sportfish and mooneye isnt
If they're listed with goldeye and have a limit then they're a sportfish.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:09 AM

definitely a sportfish if they have a limit. I think people have overlooked them a lot, maybe they arent as common as goldeye, but there are a lot of them out there. last year we saw hundreds if not thousands rising , moons and goldeye both, as far as we could see there were fish and rings on the water every direction you looked. and where I fish you can see a long ways. it would be nice to see a new name in the record book, especially if its a forum member, for any species. I think pound for pound, Id stack a gold or mooneye up next to a trout anyday. check out the fins, these things are built for power, and as viscious as any pirahna, actually more viscious, Ive had some big pirahnas and they were rather boring actually, my tiger oscars were way more viscious. nothing like coming home to hear your ex wife biatching because the kids dropped toys in the aquarium and the fish latched onto her finger when she tried to get them out. maybe we should stock tiger oscars instead of bass!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 08-06-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
definitely a sportfish if they have a limit. I think people have overlooked them a lot, maybe they arent as common as goldeye, but there are a lot of them out there. last year we saw hundreds if not thousands rising , moons and goldeye both, as far as we could see there were fish and rings on the water every direction you looked. and where I fish you can see a long ways. it would be nice to see a new name in the record book, especially if its a forum member, for any species. I think pound for pound, Id stack a gold or mooneye up next to a trout anyday. check out the fins, these things are built for power, and as viscious as any pirahna, actually more viscious, Ive had some big pirahnas and they were rather boring actually, my tiger oscars were way more viscious. nothing like coming home to hear your ex wife biatching because the kids dropped toys in the aquarium and the fish latched onto her finger when she tried to get them out. maybe we should stock tiger oscars instead of bass!
well there alot more acrosbatic then rainbows i had the small mooneye jump 4-5times every time i had one on.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
well there alot more acrosbatic then rainbows i had the small mooneye jump 4-5times every time i had one on.
gonna get a lot of flack for that statement, but they do jump like MJ with the ball when you hook them. I think the water depth has a lot to do with them jumping, the shallower it gets the less airtime they get

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 08-06-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
gonna get a lot of flack for that statement, but they do jump like MJ with the ball when you hook them. I think the water depth has a lot to do with them jumping, the shallower it gets the less airtime they get
ya i think it also has to do with the fish but ya the 6 foot stuff the moons jumped high and mroe then when i was in 2 1/5FOW.

i havent caught any with weights but im sure that makes a differance to
Old 08-06-2011, 12:33 AM

Ive been using 2 ounce weights, slows the moons down a bit, but the bigger goldeye dont even notice, doesnt seem to make a bit of difference in the runs and jumps, they are crazy strong fish. Im learning to tell what species of fish are biting on worms now, getting pretty good at telling them apart, and there is no mistaking a gold or mooneye taking a worm, I had one almost flip the rod end for end when I had it resting on a rodholder, if I hadnt caught it I think it would have ended up in the river

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 08-06-2011, 12:36 AM

I've caught a pile of mooneye this year - quite possibly more mooneye than goldeye even. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if one or two of them were pushing the 1lb mark. Maybe I should start paying closer attention

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-06-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I've caught a pile of mooneye this year - quite possibly more mooneye than goldeye even. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if one or two of them were pushing the 1lb mark. Maybe I should start paying closer attention
betwixt you and I, if one of us does break that magic mark, loser buys the other a bottle of their favorite poison? a little friendly north south competition to make it interesting, since you already kicked my butt sturgeon wise. but then you have BBJ helping, dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 08-06-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
betwixt you and I, if one of us does break that magic mark, loser buys the other a bottle of their favorite poison? a little friendly north south competition to make it interesting, since you already kicked my butt sturgeon wise. but then you have BBJ helping, dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing
We went fishing tonight and Sureshot caught a mean goldeye...was well over a pound....if it was a mooneye (I didn't look too close) he would have smashed it....I also hooked into my first sturgeon but had an equipment malfunction and lost it....had my drag set tight and it kept swimming up stream peeling line so it was a gooder...next time!

LC
Old 08-06-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
We went fishing tonight and Sureshot caught a mean goldeye...was well over a pound....if it was a mooneye (I didn't look too close) he would have smashed it....I also hooked into my first sturgeon but had an equipment malfunction and lost it....had my drag set tight and it kept swimming up stream peeling line so it was a gooder...next time!

LC
I have a feeling the record will fall, now that a lot of people are figuring out the difference, I bet its been broken a few times before. those sturgeon are something else, any lapse of equipment and they are gone, part of the thrill ! heading out right now to look for the next one.

Thanks to Tyee for this:It's all good, if you look at the dorsal fin of a mooneye and a goldeye, the dorsal of the goldeye always starts at the same point the anal fin starts or further behind. The mooneye always has a dorsal that starts before the starting point of the anal fin. "

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 08-06-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I'll take a piece of that action!!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Sureshot's big ol' goldeye was 1lb 10oz - definitely one of the bigger ones I've seen this year.

And just say "no" to pickerel rigs

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-06-2011, 11:19 AM

We were on the Oldman this morning (Sat.) and the goldeye&mooneye were making the water boil.They were rising to a very small mayfly looking thing maybe a 1/8 of an in. big.I have been using a spinner and catching lots as the hook flutters down after the cast.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Banned

http://www.igfa.org/records/Fish-Rec...Mooneye&LC=ATR

I mean the biggest is the biggest,,, this one musta been broken several times on this thread alone.

The Goldeye record os 3lb's 13 oz's, wow....
Old 08-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Mooneye WR is 1#12oz in one book and 1#8oz in other book
Goldeye WR is 3#13oz but Barry G Luopa from Alberta still has some line class WR from NSR at 1#14 and lower.. he has 4 that are current for Goldeye
Keeping you informed
David
Old 09-15-2011, 08:40 PM

Default mooneye record

We mostly jig in the NSR here in and around edmonton with a jig and minnow and the mooneye sometimes hit them. The ones we have been getting are 15oz-1pound (no heavier than 1 lb.) and they are in the 14-14.25" range. I'm guessing the Alberta record would be close to 14.5"-15".
Old 06-21-2015, 08:46 PM

Default new alberta record mooneye

a client that shane at north saskatchewan river guide took out just got the alberta record mooneye. It was 1lb 4oz and 15" long.

https://www.facebook.com/47544654918...330294/?type=1