Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU375 View Post

20-year-old Criminal Code regulations as they apply to newer weapons shown in lab tests to be "amenable to the improvised full automatic fire technique."
Does anybody know if they are talking about the bump firing with your belt loop or using a bump fire device?

Jesus they should outlaw belt loops then.

Is the cat out of the bag on RCMP loving? Time to treat these guys like they are - liberals with jackboots - forced progressivism. I would rather eat my dog then show an ounce of kindness to somebody wearing that uniform.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
And thats why its important to know what guns they plan to make prohibited. It may be any of the guns that you can easily modify the magazine for. We need more details on what they want to do.
Simply put, the police should not be making the laws. All they are doing is turning many thousands of ordinary law abiding citizens into criminals at their whim. This has absolutely nothing to do with public safety.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Simply put, the police should not be making the laws. All they are doing is turning many thousands of ordinary law abiding citizens into criminals at their whim. This has absolutely nothing to do with public safety.
Very simply put, and likely the best post on this thread.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
As I said I agree. I dont like the RCMP making the laws, thats what our elected politicians are for and exactly what I told the Liberal Party.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Does anybody know if they are talking about the bump firing with your belt loop or using a bump fire device?

Jesus they should outlaw belt loops then.

Is the cat out of the bag on RCMP loving? Time to treat these guys like they are - liberals with jackboots - forced progressivism. I would rather eat my dog then show an ounce of kindness to somebody wearing that uniform.
Jesus man - denying climate change under the 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference is enough now to get you declared mentally ill and have your guns confiscated.

Talking like this on a public forum will get you flagged and thrown in jail on your next routine traffic stop.

These kinds of comments are a disservice to firearms owners.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:27 PM

The RCMP is a large organization. Why would we denigrate the local officer, who has nothing to do with the decisions made by those in the highest levels? How about a little bit of critical thinking?

I don't hold frontline officers responsible for this.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:50 PM

Default write your MP

I did. Do it NOW.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
The RCMP is a large organization. Why would we denigrate the local officer, who has nothing to do with the decisions made by those in the highest levels? How about a little bit of critical thinking?

x2

More than likely quite a few also own the rifles in question and stand to loose their own property as well.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:

High River?????
Old 01-15-2016, 09:23 PM

Its easy to ban things but very difficult to reverse a ban. If they are successful in banning any semi-automatic rifles, those laws will likely never be dropped. This is just the first step, next is pistols, then anything other than hunting rifles and finally hunting rifles. This way the government can even control what you eat!

Oh, and Raab? Really, count shots? LMFAO. Do you even read what you write?
Old 01-15-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
The whole your either for or against guns argument is stupid. .

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal."
-- Janet Reno, US Attorney General

Stupid huh? Regardless of country, gun grabbing politicians and the toads that follow them are all the same.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Where are the frontline officers protesting this ? Until they, the frontline officers, take a stand against confiscation of private property, the complete waste of resources better used elsewhere, they will be painted with the same brush as the Chiefs.
Not only does the ban and power grab from the Chiefs drive a wedge between front line officers and the law abiding citizen, it could potentially endanger people's lives for fear and mistrust of law enforcement, and possibly endanger front line officers when in need of the publics help and cooperation.
Where are the voices of the frontline officers? Indeed, critical thinking.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:47 PM

Regarding stolen guns in Alberta.

Does anyone realize or even care that most of those guns that the press purports to have been stolen are paintball guns? I've lost count on how many press releases that I am able to pause and reverse (thanks Gods of PVR) and count the number of actual fire arms to paintball guns. So far paintball gun confiscations out number real fire arms about 30 to one.

I wish that the lives lost to illegal recreational drugs would out sensationalize these recreational "firearms". But. alas, "firearms" even those flintlock pistols (that are nearly impossible to fire 2 or three times in a row without renapping or having to adjust the flint) are considered more of a threat than recreational drugs.

The press is kinda like a politician. They have to sensationalize in order to stay current.

Cheers....
Old 01-15-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
Where are the frontline officers protesting this ? Until they, the frontline officers, take a stand against confiscation of private property, the complete waste of resources better used elsewhere, they will be painted with the same brush as the Chiefs.
Not only does the ban and power grab from the Chiefs drive a wedge between front line officers and the law abiding citizen, it could potentially endanger people's lives for fear and mistrust of law enforcement, and possibly endanger front line officers when in need of the publics help and cooperation.
Where are the voices of the frontline officers? Indeed, critical thinking.
Do you think that an organization such as this could function when individuals ignore directions from leadership? Even the Commissioner has a boss. Law enforcement is subject to civilian oversight.

I suppose the military might work well under the actions that you also prescribe.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:23 PM

The RCMP are not the military, they are citizens first then civil servants. If directions from leadership are counter productive the "directions" need adjustment.. And no, I don't believe law enforcement should be run as a military or dictatorship. If that means change from the bottom up, so be it.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
And who's saying they'll be took away for sure, or even what guns they're looking at making prohibited? It's just as plausible that new owners could be grandfathered and get to keep their rifles. Just wouldn't be able to sell them.
Or take them anywhere to use them.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:42 PM

For the record, I don't think there should be any tightening of the law. However, the OP has misread. Nothing I can see in the article indicates an overall ba on semi-automatic weapons. Sensationalizing is easy but reduces the posters argument and/or credibility.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
The RCMP are not the military, they are citizens first then civil servants. If directions from leadership are counter productive the "directions" need adjustment.. And no, I don't believe law enforcement should be run as a military or dictatorship. If that means change from the bottom up, so be it.
I will agree on one point, that being if their leaders order the officers to do something that goes beyond their authority, and the officers comply, and an investigation is held into the incident, if those officers refuse to reveal who gave them the order to exceed their authority, then the officers are just as guilty as the leader that gave the order.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I've been in some very intense situations. I'd like to think that I would try to act if something like that ever accured. I know that if I did nothing that it's almost certain death. Better to try and maybe die then to lie and die.
So you support a carry law then? Because that is the real way that "doing something" may actually be possible.

There are laws. Murder for instance.

These things are already illegal. You support making more laws that make these things what? More illegal?

Here is an honest question with nothing behind it. If new laws are made, who is affected? I see it as the law abiding citizens being affected. The gangs and punks that commit murder are already not bothered by these silly things called laws.

With the stroke of a pen these laws may turn the ordinary law abiding gun owners into criminals overnight.

Lets have a look at Chicago. Strictest, most ridiculous gun laws in the US. Yet the shootings there are at an all time scary high. I wonder why that is. Then there is the town in Georgia where it is illegal "not" to own a gun. Wonder what the crime rate or the shooting rate is there? Where would you go if you were looking to knock an old lady on the head for her church money? Yup. More laws is the way to go.

One more thing. Do you honestly think that if a gun is "took away" as you stated it may ever return into circulation? That is Liberal thinking at it's finest. God help this country. With voters like this, gun owners are all but doomed. Turdo has been on record saying that the reason he wants to legalize pot is because Canada has thrown loads of money and implemented law after law trying to get it off the streets. It may as well be legalized. Yet in the same breath he says that only more laws will get the scary guns off the street. And the Libs don't see the irony in this stupidity.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I will agree on one point, that being if their leaders order the officers to do something that goes beyond their authority, and the officers comply, and an investigation is held into the incident, if those officers refuse to reveal who gave them the order to exceed their authority, then the officers are just as guilty as the leader that gave the order.
Yes in this instance, High river, the 3 oaths seem to be set aside without protest.

Oath of Allegiance: "Do you solemnly swear that you will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, her heirs and successors according to the law, so help you God?"

Oath of Office: "Do you solemnly swear that you will faithfully, diligently and impartially execute and perform the duties required of you as a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and will well and truly obey and perform all lawful orders and instructions that you receive, without fear, favor or affection of or towards any person, so help you God?"

Oath of Secrecy: "Do you solemnly swear that you will keep absolutely secret all knowledge and information of which you may become possessed through your position with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police; that you will not, without due authority in that behalf, discuss with members of the Force, or any other person, either by word or by letter, any matter which may come to your notice through your employment with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, so help you God?"
Old 01-15-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Anytime a new firearm is purchased, it gets
False. I sell guns in a store and have never written anything down. Not once for a gun sale that is non restricted.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:22 PM
Banned

I just made arrangments to hand my semi autos over to a guy I know for $1
If or when this nonsense goes through.

The guy said that he most likely won't use it because someone pointed an umbrella at him but would if it was inserted and then opened. I trust this person to do the right thing. At least he wouldn't be stealing from me.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:24 PM

Default Nfa-cssa-ccfr

If we want to continue to have this common interest, we need to stand together. Someone mentioned the police being the largest armed 'gang' in the country. Add the entire police community to the entire military community ( I'm proud to say I'm a former member. Ready, Aye, Ready) and we have them outnumbered! Not insinuating anything!!! I'm just sayin'....😁 Then let's look realistically at how many police and/or military members would follow an order to disarm the citizenry. Canadians against Canadians. Maybe I'm too optimistic,but I'd guess half.... Then let's look at how many FIREARMS would be reported stolen if this 'gun grab' came about. I really don't see Trulander having the stones to try a Germany in the 1930's/Australia in the 1990's style of gun confiscation! ESPECIALLY if we stand TOGETHER and quote the great Charlton Heston 'Get your hands off my guns you damn dirty anti-gun liberals! You are ELECTED to work FOR us!!! We are your employers! You can have my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands!!! (sorry can't think of a Canadian to quote). As always, I look forward to any response.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
So you support a carry law then? Because that is the real way that "doing something" may actually be possible.

There are laws. Murder for instance.

These things are already illegal. You support making more laws that make these things what? More illegal?

Here is an honest question with nothing behind it. If new laws are made, who is affected? I see it as the law abiding citizens being affected. The gangs and punks that commit murder are already not bothered by these silly things called laws.

With the stroke of a pen these laws may turn the ordinary law abiding gun owners into criminals overnight.

Lets have a look at Chicago. Strictest, most ridiculous gun laws in the US. Yet the shootings there are at an all time scary high. I wonder why that is. Then there is the town in Georgia where it is illegal "not" to own a gun. Wonder what the crime rate or the shooting rate is there? Where would you go if you were looking to knock an old lady on the head for her church money? Yup. More laws is the way to go.

One more thing. Do you honestly think that if a gun is "took away" as you stated it may ever return into circulation? That is Liberal thinking at it's finest. God help this country. With voters like this, gun owners are all but doomed. Turdo has been on record saying that the reason he wants to legalize pot is because Canada has thrown loads of money and implemented law after law trying to get it off the streets. It may as well be legalized. Yet in the same breath he says that only more laws will get the scary guns off the street. And the Libs don't see the irony in this stupidity.
I haven't decided about open carry in the city. Simply because I've seen way to many stabbings and there are a ton of resources so response times usually aren't an issue.

I do support the open carry in rural communities and the wilderness and would like to see that at some point.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrbrn View Post
If we want to continue to have this common interest, we need to stand together. Someone mentioned the police being the largest armed 'gang' in the country. Add the entire police community to the entire military community ( I'm proud to say I'm a former member. Ready, Aye, Ready) and we have them outnumbered! Not insinuating anything!!! I'm just sayin'....😁 Then let's look realistically at how many police and/or military members would follow an order to disarm the citizenry. Canadians against Canadians. Maybe I'm too optimistic,but I'd guess half.... Then let's look at how many FIREARMS would be reported stolen if this 'gun grab' came about. I really don't see Trulander having the stones to try a Germany in the 1930's/Australia in the 1990's style of gun confiscation! ESPECIALLY if we stand TOGETHER and quote the great Charlton Heston 'Get your hands off my guns you damn dirty anti-gun liberals! You are ELECTED to work FOR us!!! We are your employers! You can have my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands!!! (sorry can't think of a Canadian to quote). As always, I look forward to any response.
Trudeau isn't that dumb, he wants to be in for more then 1 term. Confiscating rifles pretty well guarantees he's thrown out next election as I'm sure the conservatives would again run on repealing any ban/registry.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
False. I sell guns in a store and have never written anything down. Not once for a gun sale that is non restricted.
That's awesome, thank you. You have a point. I did have an experience where they didn't even ask for my PAL
Old 01-16-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:

personal ethics.

Mine are clear, if my boss was doing things I felt were wrong and against my values I would be packing up my desk.

So front line officers either a) have lousy ethics or b) support the actions of their superiors.

Stop telling me I have to hold sacred an organization and its employees that regards me as a sport shooter a criminal, makes policy that reduces my ability to undertake in my hobby of choice and tries to strip me of my right to private property.

big goverment thugs.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:26 AM

Well seeing as weed is on its way to legalization, maybe we can take some pointers from their movement:

1. Defy all laws and carry on with use, possession and aquisition;

2. Stage rallies in front of Parliament and legislature buildings where you openly show your peaceful disdain for the law (perhaps open carry of restricted firearms) while singing songs;

3. Mail politicians samples (perhaps range passes would work better than firearms);

4. Stick together as a community, they did whether they were a billionaire, Doctor, student, total burnout, bong smoker or brownie baker; and

5. Run a huge campaign to debunk myths and run real facts (but avoid sounding like what will be perceived as NRA soundbites) to educate those on the fence of what a ban would accomplish.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat in the Cat View Post
Well seeing as weed is on its way to legalization, maybe we can take some pointers from their movement:

1. Defy all laws and carry on with use, possession and aquisition;

2. Stage rallies in front of Parliament and legislature buildings where you openly show your peaceful disdain for the law (perhaps open carry of restricted firearms) while singing songs;

3. Mail politicians samples (perhaps range passes would work better than firearms);

4. Stick together as a community, they did whether they were a billionaire, Doctor, student, total burnout, bong smoker or brownie baker; and

5. Run a huge campaign to debunk myths and run real facts (but avoid sounding like what will be perceived as NRA soundbites) to educate those on the fence of what a ban would accomplish.
A legitimate productive post. I don't own black guns but I sure as hell signed the AR15 petition. Campaiging for open carry isn't one of my top priorities, but I back the movement. "Give them an inch, and they will take a mile" maybe it's time to start taking miles for ourselves. We should be constantly working on more rights, not just simply defending the ones we still have.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
We should be constantly working on more rights, not just simply defending the ones we still have.
BAM!!!!! Proactive always trumps reactive. Good post.