Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2017, 03:51 PM

Default Poachers shut down

http://www.hopestandard.com/local-ne...for-two-years/

Hopefully they will get the message and find an honest living.

Grant
Old 06-14-2017, 04:07 PM

Here is the original thread that this one stems from.
Glad to see a decent result
Cat
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...light=Poachers
Old 06-14-2017, 04:07 PM
Banned

Won't open for me.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:21 PM

Gerard Visneskie is not only banned from fishing, guiding or even assisting as an angling guide until April 30, 2019, he is banned from hunting or holding a guide outfitter licence in B.C. until April 30, 2021.

Starting last summer, Visneskie and his wife Sophie Goupil ran Hooked Up with Screamin Reels, a Fraser River guiding company. It was his handling practices that he posted in videos and photos on the company’s Facebook page that got him into trouble. There were also posts of him with clients out on trips in the river from before he received his guiding licence on Aug. 26, 2016.

He also made false statements to obtain his B.C. hunting licence before he met the residency qualifications.

Can these guys just up and move to Saskatchewan now?

Seems rather light for punishment.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:21 PM

Links worked for me Ninja.

Banned is a good start, no fines from the B.C. side?
Old 06-14-2017, 04:53 PM

Good to see.

Now if only some more received similar attention.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:24 PM
Banned

One Province got it right. They are out of business for quite a while there. Good to hear the outcome. I think even better than a fine. Also they've got some more publicity.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:39 PM

Checked out the article and looked at their pictures on Facebook. Everything looked fine to me? Why the witch-hunt

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyjim View Post
Checked out the article and looked at their pictures on Facebook. Everything looked fine to me? Why the witch-hunt

Care to expand?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-14-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:

No witch hunt. He had tons of videos on you tube showing him doing illeagal things. I know him personally and he got what he deserved.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 06-14-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Care to expand?
Just wondering why the charges if they were based on fish handling practices observed on Facebook. There is a link to the Facebook account in the article. Looked like happy people catching Sturgeon. Also said he was charged with guiding clients before he had a license. Who cares?

Guessing the pictures the charges stem from have been taken down

Old 06-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just wondering why the charges if they were based on fish handling practices observed on Facebook. There is a link to the Facebook account in the article. Looked like happy people catching Sturgeon. Also said he was charged with guiding clients before he had a license. Who cares?

Who cares? Likely the guys that have big money and time invested into doing it right. I'm sure the vast majority of his clients care too. Who in their right mind would want to book with an unlicensed (and likely uninsured) guide?
Old 06-14-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Yes you are guessing .
The Happy people catching sturgeon were not charged .
Guiding without a lisence illegal , no matter who cares or who doesn't
Cat
Old 06-14-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yes you are guessing .
The Happy people catching sturgeon were not charged .
Guiding without a lisence illegal , no matter who cares or who doesn't
Cat
Sounds like there's a lot of guessing

Old 06-14-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:

The article mentions the two owners and no one else
You are the one making all the assumptions about Facebook and wondering what the big deal is .
Cat
Old 06-14-2017, 10:27 PM

Default Poachers

I wish our judicial system and APOS would do the same to some of the outfitters here in Alberta that are not running ethical guiding operations.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:07 AM
Banned

I know a fellow who used to take people out for guided fishing trips here in AB. He told me that you do not need a licence to be a fishing guide in AB.
Does anyone know if this is true?
Surprised this thread is not in fishing section.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post

Surprised this thread is not in fishing section.
It started with them guiding hunters in Alberta .
We can move it to fishing however.
Cat
Old 06-15-2017, 09:30 AM

these too should never be able to hunt again or fish . Its good they were charged but should have been a lot more because you will see them doing this some were else again
Old 06-15-2017, 10:36 AM

Poachers, poachers...
Guiding without a license, hunting 31 minutes after sunset, keeping 49.5 cm walleye. They all poachers. Do I care? Not at all. The same as going 1 km over speed limit.
Poachers with dozen of coolers full of walleye and whitefish, fishing with nets and destroying fishing in the lakes for years (or even decades), e.g. Battle Lake, that is what I care about. That is what FWOs should prevent
Old 06-15-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Sounds like there was a lot of laws broken.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vook View Post
Poachers, poachers...
Guiding without a license, hunting 31 minutes after sunset, keeping 49.5 cm walleye. They all poachers. Do I care? Not at all. The same as going 1 km over speed limit.
Poachers with dozen of coolers full of walleye and whitefish, fishing with nets and destroying fishing in the lakes for years (or even decades), e.g. Battle Lake, that is what I care about. That is what FWOs should prevent
I understand what you are saying but it if foolish to compare multiple wildlife and fishery offences to 1 km over the speed limit. If you really mean that, good luck with your future in the sport.

That is a lot of evidence stacked up against two individuals that they (the offenders) just do not seem to get it. First offence...okay but it is clear there is a long list off charges and in more than one province. Seems to me a couple of law breakers got what was coming to them and hunting and fishing will be that much better off without them...if it actually stops them....this time... I think the point is made.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
but it if foolish to compare multiple wildlife and fishery offences to 1 km over the speed limit. If you really mean that, good luck with your future in the sport.
Wow! Hold your horses, pls. I didn't mean comparing those two "youtube stars" with the "1km/hr-speeders". I compared keeping fish that is 1cm less than legal with 1 km over speed limit. I was going to say that FWO spend too much efforts on catching "poachers" with one fish 1 cm less than legal on lakes that close to the office than trying to catch real poachers destroying our recourses.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vook View Post
Wow! Hold your horses, pls. I didn't mean comparing those two "youtube stars" with the "1km/hr-speeders". I compared keeping fish that is 1cm less than legal with 1 km over speed limit. I was going to say that FWO spend too much efforts on catching "poachers" with one fish 1 cm less than legal on lakes that close to the office than trying to catch real poachers destroying our recourses.
No, you hold your horses. Unless you have major grammar errors you posted this

"Guiding without a license, hunting 31 minutes after sunset, keeping 49.5 cm walleye." followed by this "Do I care? Not at all. The same as going 1 km over speed limit."

What was I supposed to think you were talking about? Just one part of that... yeah.

One of the many offences for the "u tubers (tumours is better)" is guiding without a license. You don't have to jump up and down for joy that they got busted but your post came across as pretty much dismissing this event.

Onwards
Old 06-16-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
No, you hold your horses. Unless you have major grammar errors you posted this

"Guiding without a license, hunting 31 minutes after sunset, keeping 49.5 cm walleye." followed by this "Do I care? Not at all. The same as going 1 km over speed limit."

What was I supposed to think you were talking about? Just one part of that... yeah.

One of the many offences for the "u tubers (tumours is better)" is guiding without a license. You don't have to jump up and down for joy that they got busted but your post came across as pretty much dismissing this event.

Onwards
After reading the whole story I should admit I was wrong.