Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:26 PM

Default What happened to Milarm?

There website is not working and the phone number is no longer in service. Did they close?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Banned

As much as I love each and every gun/milsurp store I step into I cannot say that for Milarm.

You want to get into an arguement, overpay, get insulted, ignored, lied too..then Milarms is for you. Nice place to visit but I have to grab an immediate shower once I leave
Old 04-16-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
As much as I love each and every gun/milsurp store I step into I cannot say that for Milarm.

You want to get into an arguement, overpay, get insulted, ignored, lied too..then Milarms is for you. Nice place to visit but I have to grab an immediate shower once I leave

not one of my favorite that is for sure

but they are indeed open... im headed down there for some ammo in a bit.. and the number is (780) 424-5281
Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Default Milarm

My sugestion is go see for yourself.i've delt with the folks there for close to 30yrs. Every one from the owners right down to the janitor lady they used to have treated me very well any time i was there.i've bought new ,used or what have you.sometimes i would go there just to bs. So like i said check them out.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:16 PM

I know some of the guys who work there. Nice guys but over priced. Hard to contend with CABELAS....coming soon

Old 04-16-2011, 04:04 PM

I have bought a few things from there. I would say go talk to them. I have had good luck.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned

Best deal I ever got on a rifle was at MilArm, but the staff that were there then (2000) were absolute tools, the one fatty wearing the army fleece tried his best to one up me on his knowledge of firearms, he failed. I got a smoker of a deal!!! Have'nt been back since.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Banned

With all due respect to my fellow AO members, I would like to remind them that the owners of MilArm have been the most active members in fighting Bill C-17 , the progressive conservative bill, and Bill-68 the liberal bill for the confiscation of firearms.

A very big thank you to the owners of MilArm.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:03 PM

I'm new to the scene but I have to say that Milarm was horrible to deal with. They act like they don't have time for you, they are rude. Kudos to the owners if they are fighting for gun rights but they need to seriously reconsider their staff. I have talked to other people who said they would gladly pay more somewhere else rather than go to Milarm. P&D and Wholesale sports are much more friendly and informative. Also they don't make you feel like an *****hole if you want to inquire about ordering something in.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien View Post
i'm new to the scene but i have to say that milarm was horrible to deal with. They act like they don't have time for you, they are rude. Kudos to the owners if they are fighting for gun rights but they need to seriously reconsider their staff. I have talked to other people who said they would gladly pay more somewhere else rather than go to milarm. P&d and wholesale sports are much more friendly and informative. Also they don't make you feel like an *****hole if you want to inquire about ordering something in.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:51 PM

I went there once. I had a monday off and decided it was time to get an sks, not sure why just wanted it. they were closed so went to P and D. Whats the deal with gun stores being closed on mondays, gone to a few now on mondays and they are all closed. And I agree P and D and whole sale are very friendly places, well the one on the south side anyway, spent 2 hours chattin with the old guy there a couple weeks ago, forget his name
Old 04-17-2011, 12:14 AM

Just as an added note about the wholesale sports on the southside... If you are trying to get your wife/girlfriend or daughter to get into shooting but they are scared... Try and bring them in and talk with Maria... she is amazing... my girlfriend wouldn't even consider the idea of going for her pal... I brought her with me to check out some scopes... I got her talking with Maria now she wants to get her pal, own her own riffle and get out gopher plinking. Even though my girlfriend wasn't there to buy a riffle, Maria had her holding a few rifles and spent a good half hour talking with her even though she knew she wouldn't make a sale.... Very knowledgeable and will definitely get my business again
Old 04-17-2011, 08:51 AM

Default 4.2/5 stars for milarm

ive bought two firearms (had to swap one of them,no prob,soviet m44 ),a knife and a combatish- shirt from them and ive never had a problem dealing with them either, ive been in there asking questions about pistol actions and reloading when i was new and so forth, they were allright to me,but then again my rugged good looks has that affect on people
Old 04-17-2011, 09:25 AM

I think that wolf is a Chuck Norris look alike that's why he had no trouble.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Milarm is like any other store - you need to know what stuff sells for. Some things they are high others they are cheap. Dont forget their main business is miltary/police stuff not sporting rifles. They deal with mall ninjas all day - so if they rub you the wrong way cut them some slack. Once they know you, they treat you well. I have always done well trading stuff in there aswell... in fact its the only place in Edmonton I would trade a firearm in now.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 AM

I believe two of them are brothers... And one of them is the owners son ... The rest I don't know. like I said its not my favorite place... but that's due to the lack of hunting stuff. But you have to love their Mossberg shotgun prices.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Milarm is like any other store - you need to know what stuff sells for. Some things they are high others they are cheap. Dont forget their main business is miltary/police stuff not sporting rifles. They deal with mall ninjas all day - so if they rub you the wrong way cut them some slack. Once they know you, they treat you well. I have always done well trading stuff in there aswell... in fact its the only place in Edmonton I would trade a firearm in now.
I am the guy paying their wages, or could have been. So they should have treated me well before I knew them so as to keep me coming back.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I believe two of them are brothers... And one of them is the owners son ... The rest I don't know. like I said its not my favorite place... but that's due to the lack of hunting stuff. But you have to love their Mossberg shotgun prices.
I think Chumly works in the back as well.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:46 AM

Default Mil-Arm

Since 1985 Mil-arm has always been good to me. I couldn't say the guys are the friendliest but I'm not looking for a friend. I have purchased two rifles and lots of accessories from them and got the best deals I could find (albiet I do all my shopping before I buy). If you ever need cheap parts thier surplus side can not be beat anywhere that I have seen. I for one can not wait fo rCabelas to get here cause I truly believe that competition is good for the consumer but I know that there are a lot of things about Mil-Arm that Cabelas will not come close to touching. I appreciate the niche that Mil-Arm fills and would definatly miss them if they left.

P.S. If thier website is down I hope it is being re-vamped cause it sure needs it. Maybe someone out there could help them with a site that really works.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borchy View Post
I am the guy paying their wages, or could have been. So they should have treated me well before I knew them so as to keep me coming back.
You are right, they should have. If you dont like them, good for you - shop elsewhere. I feel the same way about another shop in Edmonton that gets great reviews by most. Me, I will only go there if I have been everywhere else first.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
You are right, they should have. If you dont like them, good for you - shop elsewhere. I feel the same way about another shop in Edmonton that gets great reviews by most. Me, I will only go there if I have been everywhere else first.
I do
Old 04-17-2011, 11:03 AM

I was in there once when the salesman was being rude to a customer. The guy wanted a laser sight for his shotgun to go goose hunting. The salesman told him how stupid that was. True that might have been rude, but wholesale would have happily let him waste his money. Thats not the kin of friend I need.
Milarm has always been good to me. They have disassembled a gun to sell me the parts I need for mine, I have bought boots from them and they were willing to deal in a knife for me. And the safety boots they have are the most comfortable I have ever owned. Though they do look like they might not last as long as the chunks of leather you get at Marks.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:24 AM

I was into Milarm yesterday and they treated me great and were friendly and helpful. They didn't have what I was looking for but took the time to recommend me to a place that did.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:49 AM

I have only been in their once, I Can't really comment on their service, it was neither good or bad. They did not have what I wanted, nor does anyone else (looking for the Choate mount for my SKS). They said they will try to source them out.
At the Mother of all Hunts two years ago I bought a Case of ammo from them for my SKS for a excellant price, and they though in a 511 hat. That was pretty good.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:05 PM

I'm on the fence about Milarm, some of the guys in there are great to deal with very informative and know their stuff or are willing to find it, other sales staff seem like glorified mall ninja themselves with a healthy dose of "I know all" thrown in there just to make it a little more offensive. If you are looking for used or old milsurps and occasionally a really cool antique they are the place to look. there is always something worth looking at in the back corner if you are just browsing
Old 04-17-2011, 08:05 PM

The staff at Milarm deal with more nutcases in one year than I have in 23 yrs.....

Good grief, I could never work there. Spend an hour there listening to some of the customers...... It will make you feel either of two things:

1. You will feel like the smartest person in the world, or
2. You will be scared that people like that walk around unchecked

Ive known Gord for 25 yrs. I like him. But ive seen him rub people raw, probably for his own amusement. He is a really good guy.

Best thing for Milarm is the internet sales.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:34 PM

I've been in a few times over the years, and i find it's the same with any store - you may find a decent guy behind the counter, or you may find a tool.
The choice you have to make is whether or not you want to strike up a conversation with them!
I usually walk into a gun store for one of two resons - either I'm looking for a specific thing, in which case all I have to do is ask for " Howdy! Do you have
174 grain .311 match kings in stock?"
or, I simply want to go in an browse. In that case eventually I likely will be asked if i can be helped, in which case I usually reply " Oh, no, I'm from Ft. McMurray, I'm beyond help!"
Either way, it's may choice......
Cat
Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
" Oh, no, I'm from Ft. McMurray, I'm beyond help!"

Cat
lol...can I borrow that line?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:39 AM

My sum total involvement with Milarm was buying a magazine for my Enfield. I was just happy they had one. Service was one call over the phone. They were fine, got the mag in a few days. Thought the price a bit steep, but I had no comparison so what did I know? Gladly paid it. Would be too bad if they are out of business. It's nice to have smaller specialty shops around. Cabelas or BPS will never carry used mags for a 70 year old rifle.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I'm new to the scene but I have to say that Milarm was horrible to deal with. They act like they don't have time for you, they are rude. Kudos to the owners if they are fighting for gun rights but they need to seriously reconsider their staff. I have talked to other people who said they would gladly pay more somewhere else rather than go to Milarm. P&D and Wholesale sports are much more friendly and informative. Also they don't make you feel like an *****hole if you want to inquire about ordering something in.
x3
Closed Thread