Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2007, 12:36 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Unless I read the regs wrong, the LSR opened June 1st.

Wouldnt have known, never fished it until september where its a given that its open. gotta read those dang regs i guess

think i might try the Little Smoky 2 weekends from now if the wife is off that sunday, and as long as rain stays away!!!!!!! BigStone road is a bugger if its wet.

Last edited by -NDN-; 06-04-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:20 AM

Well now that I am sure I was not wrong I will let you know I hit the LSR on Sunday. I fished it for the first time last September and had to do 3 more trips before it closed at the end of October. I fell in love with it last fall and from my experience on Sunday it seems like 2 different rivers. I was told it can be tough in the early season and it definitely was. I had a couple hits and that was about it. Saw alot of 5 and 6 inchers fallow but never saw any big Greyling or Bulls. The fact that it was close to 30 degrees may of had something to do with it.
I find this river very intriguing and I plan on making the trip atleast once a week to see how it changes over the season.

Deano
Old 06-04-2007, 12:23 PM
-NDN-

you went this past sunday? what were you trying and at what bridge? ive been told too its tough in early season. there isa BUlly that lives under one of the bridges, but hes tricky to catch, and he likes 6 inch streamers that are white, purple, black, and shiny with tinsel, just a tip

i think once i get back from my holidays in Manitoba, ill hit LSR up more often. Id like to more, but the wifes work is under staffed at the moment, and i can usually only get away on sundays for the time being.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:03 PM

Hey Mike

I actually tried at both bridges. When I went there last year I had the most success under the first bridge, even though most told me the second much better. I found many 16"+ Greyling under the first bridge the first time I was there. When my brother-in-law and I went the first time we starting throwing Raps and Buzz Bombs because we wanted to see if there were any Bulls hiding. We both had fish with our first casts and was surprised to see Greyling going nuts for these lures. I am just starting out with the fly rod and feel these spot is a great place to improve.

Deano
Old 06-05-2007, 10:06 PM

A Mcleod river grayling...

Old 06-05-2007, 10:52 PM

Slipbrow; is that from the gregg confluence? ive never caught a grayling from there only bulls, whites and rainbows.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:15 PM

Good eye
Old 06-05-2007, 11:39 PM

is that the only one you have caught from there? pretty good size too.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:43 AM

Nice grayling Split, been there done that.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:44 PM
-NDN-

nice splitbrow, i think you showed me that pic before. Thats one of my favorite places to get away, and dig out some rockies for the pan. Havent gotten a nice grayling like that out of the Mcloud yet.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:03 AM

Yeah I posted that up on the old forum... best one I have seen brought in from the Mc, I believe Brady landed a good one out of there as well at sometime??? That hole gets hit hard but for a 1hr fish its convienent.

However, I haven't spent as much time on the Mc as I woudl like, so time will tell... Fell in love with a new river last year, hit a hatch and landed 40+ fish in less than 2 hrs... about 75% grays, 25% bows... biggest was about 16inch+...

June 16th is coming close...

Split..
Old 06-07-2007, 01:39 AM

[QUOTE I believe Brady landed a good one out of there as well at sometime??? QUOTE]

Yup same spot, very similar fish about 6 years ago or so. Biggest grayling to date.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:31 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbrow View Post
Yeah I posted that up on the old forum... best one I have seen brought in from the Mc, I believe Brady landed a good one out of there as well at sometime??? That hole gets hit hard but for a 1hr fish its convienent.

However, I haven't spent as much time on the Mc as I woudl like, so time will tell... Fell in love with a new river last year, hit a hatch and landed 40+ fish in less than 2 hrs... about 75% grays, 25% bows... biggest was about 16inch+...

June 16th is coming close...

Split..

a new river?? oooooooooooh do tell lol NW of Hinton?
Old 06-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Default fish

"Thats one of my favorite places to get away, and dig out some rockies for the pan."

NDN rocky mtn. whitefish?????

The ones I tried were very boney, am I missing part of this picture??/
Old 06-07-2007, 01:28 PM
-NDN-

yep thats right. but the wife works her magic and makes fish patties out of them, and then tops them with onions that have been soaked in vinegar for a while. mmmmmmmmmm. Fish patties are boneless. Boils them first and flakes away the meat off the bones. This is how we eat our rocky mountain whites. Although HuntingDan gave me a Smoker, so i might try that with them this year. Im 90 % a catch and release angler any given time........... but i always keep my limit when im on waters that im allowed to keep rockies.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Default rockies

Man it is easy to get locked into a mindset.

Filet and cook , filet and cook.

I love fish cakes. Even more if the fish is smoked first. Excellent idea, thanks.