Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-26-2012, 03:37 PM

Angry Getting back into it.

Hey guys so after a 7 year hiatus i have finally decided to get back into archery!
My last bow was a Champion and of course they dont exist anymore!
Heck the last time I bought arrows aluminum s were still the way to go

I have been taking in all the new bows out there and cant seem to find any reliable source for reviews.
I think I have decided on a single cam bow but How do you choose a manufacturer!!!

Everyone seems to make the best bow for the money!!
(its like going from one used car lot to the next lol)

Can anyone suggest a good source for either bow reviews or a brand/ model that they like?

This would be a general purpose bow for target/3D and hunting

I'd certainly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:51 PM

Default New bow

Not everyone makes single cam bows. I like them although I don't have one at the moment, I am presently shooting a couple of Hoyt's. I like the smooth draw single cam bows have, I had a Martin but if I buy another it will be a Mathews. Cheers Roscoe
Old 11-26-2012, 04:56 PM

Get out and shoot as many as you can. PSE is coming out with a new solo cam called the prophecy. Have a look at them. The ibo speed is around the 340 fps mark. I can't stress it enough SHOOT LOTS OF DIFFERNT BOWS THEN DECIDE WHAT FITS YOU BEST.

Cheers
Old 11-26-2012, 05:30 PM

They are right you just need to get your hand on as many bows as you can and find what you like, coincidence has it I'm sellin my whole set up right now (diamond outlaw) if you want to try it out let me know

Good luck. It's always fun trying new bows
Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 PM

I went through the bow buying process last year. I think there are many different good quality bows out there these days and it comes down to finding one that suits and fits you AND you guessed it, you have to get out and test drive as many as possible.

I like my quest (Rev) bow, as it is high quality but not overly high dollars. I also really liked the bow tech assassin. I never pulled a lot of really high end stuff as it just wasn't in my budget. I focused on finding a forgiving bow, that fit me and I could shoot well (for a beginner).

You can look on here for deals or try your luck on the archery talk forum. Lots of guys on there sell last years model at 1/3 - 1/2 the price. There are lot of gear junkies on there who are always upgrading.

Good luck in your search.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Banned

Your all wrong. Mathews makes the best bow regardless of what your using it for, Targets, 3D Targets, Moving targets, Big game hunting, Bird hunting or random arrow flinging. Mathews is a cut above the rest!!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Your all wrong. Mathews makes the best bow regardless of what your using it for, Targets, 3D Targets, Moving targets, Big game hunting, Bird hunting or random arrow flinging. Mathews is a cut above the rest!!
Each to their own just like vehicles. It is what feels best to the shooter.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Each to their own just like vehicles. It is what feels best to the shooter.
I was trying to hook someone, didn't really work.

You are right tho, very few differences between bows in the same price range. All depends what is more comfortable. Go to Jim Bows down south and they should be able to help. I do like the Mathews look tho, I think that checkered design is the cats meow. I think there is another Bow out there called the "Alien", it looks pretty sick to. Saw it in Bow hunter mag.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:14 PM

Yep go shoot them and one will stand out !! I have shot them all at one time or another !! Martin,PSE,High country,Mathews and now I shoot a Hoyt. Don't get fooled by high priced bows the middle of the road bows are very high end as well !! They are just half the price !! I am shooting a Hoyt Maxis and it was Half the price as any high end bow. I hope this helps !!

The good arrows that everyone shoots now are the full metal jackets !!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 PM

A bow is like a woman, until you have tried it you can't disregard any of them. Like a woman you need to find one that fit's you and feels good. Take one out and see how it reacts with you. Everyone is different and they all have pro's and con's. Sorry I forgot are we talking about bow's or woman. Haha
Old 11-26-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
Yep go shoot them and one will stand out !! I have shot them all at one time or another !! Martin,PSE,High country,Mathews and now I shoot a Hoyt. Don't get fooled by high priced bows the middle of the road bows are very high end as well !! They are just half the price !! I am shooting a Hoyt Maxis and it was Half the price as any high end bow. I hope this helps !!

The good arrows that everyone shoots now are the full metal jackets !!
i'd look seriously at all the bows on the market in your price range compare speed vs cost . i dont think youll be buying a hoyt unless you are into the speed doesn't kill philosophy. I wouldn't shoot a hoyt for free hoyt looks good but like the hot girl at the bar she expensive and doesnt put out as much as the redneck girl at the door
Old 11-26-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrude1 View Post
i'd look seriously at all the bows on the market in your price range compare speed vs cost . i dont think youll be buying a hoyt unless you are into the speed doesn't kill philosophy. I wouldn't shoot a hoyt for free hoyt looks good but like the hot girl at the bar she expensive and doesnt put out as much as the redneck girl at the door
I like where this thread is going......
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biletsky View Post
I like where this thread is going......
Yup. Me too!

Just Google the bow you are considering and I'm sure you will find a whack of info and reviews. At one time you could find online reviews from Bowhunter Magazine...etc.

For what its worth I usually buy a new bow every other year and would suggest that you can't go wrong with a Hoyt or a Matthews. I have shot several models of both. My current bow is a Hoyt CRX35 and it is a very forgiving bow. My 3D set up is around 285 fps and with the Easton FMJ's its doing around 265-270. Fast enough. I get a bit of a charge out of the speed freaks at 3D tournaments. They can hit targets, but tend to spray them around a bit, if you know what I mean There are a few factory shooters that can handle the speed, but most of us average humps are better off with more forgiving equipment

The Hoyts are dual cam bows so that kind of leaves you with Matthews. They tend to be a little slower (single cams) but maybe easier to tune? I had a Drenalin that was a tack driver. I doubt you would go wrong with a Matthews.

The dark horse you should look at would be an APA Viper. Lot's of common sense in the design. If you want to try one that is set up give Pipestone Creek a shout.

I'm looking at an APA XLR36 Mamba for this upcoming year.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:26 PM

Just use your champion. I have a champion mustang. Great Bow. Was made in Manitoba. I buy Canadian when ever possible.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 PM

if you like canadian made you might want to have a look into the APA lineup of bows. They have a good selection of solo cam bows as well as a lot of handy tools built into the riser
Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Row View Post
if you like canadian made you might want to have a look into the APA lineup of bows. They have a good selection of solo cam bows as well as a lot of handy tools built into the riser
I couldn't agree more. I had a Mathews for years and loved it! Harvested alot of good animals with it. I started seeing APA's advertised on Wild TV and the tweeked my interest. It took me over a year to decide that maybe I should give them a try (as I was still head over heals for my Mathews). Al with APA makes the bows in Biggar Sask. I met him out there last August when I was working in Kindersley. The guy knows his stuff! He has manufactured a top end bow with practical attachments. He let me try them all out until I found one I know if me better than my Mathews. I ended up purchasing the Viper V7 and have never been happier with a bow. It is so fast and so forgiving! I have shot it every which way (other than laying down) and the arrow hits where you pin is everytime! I am not saying that all other bows are junk, but APA Viper is the bow for me. I highly suggest trying them out before you buy another brand. Jim at "Pipestone Archery" west of Millet is awesome to deal with and will work on your APA if need be. The crew at "Wolverine Sports" in Red Deer is also a good group.

Here is APA's website www.apaarchery.com

Good luck finding the bow for you buddy. May it be for better or worse!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:36 PM

i have hoyt, mathews, bowtec, apa, prime and pse in stock feel free to come shoot them. still waiting on 2013 pse and hoyt but have mathews now. hoyt will be here next week and pse dna will be a month or so. shops in whitecourt
rob
Old 12-18-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
lol Although a little hardcore you not wrong..Mathews did inovate the Solo Cam ...love my Mathews bows...if Mathews wasnt around I would be a full APA shooter...their solo cams should not be over looked..

JMHO
Neil
Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
i have hoyt, mathews, bowtec, apa, prime and pse in stock feel free to come shoot them. still waiting on 2013 pse and hoyt but have mathews now. hoyt will be here next week and pse dna will be a month or so. shops in whitecourt
rob
I'm reading all sorts of good things about the DNA, on another site. If I had of waited 5 months, I'd buy one.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
lol Although a little hardcore you not wrong..Mathews did inovate the Solo Cam ...love my Mathews bows...if Mathews wasnt around I would be a full APA shooter...their solo cams should not be over looked..

JMHO
Neil
X2

Agree on both counts.