Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-05-2011, 02:52 PM

Default # of rams harvested in 2010

How many legal rams are harvested each YEAR IN ALBERTA? Do fish and game report these numbers?Who was lucky last year in getting a prized ram.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 PM

I guess theres no sheep hunters on AO
Old 03-06-2011, 07:52 PM

I know there were 15 shot during the regular season in 438 and I heard almost over 80 in wmu 440. WOW that is a lot of rams
Old 03-06-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
I know there were 15 shot during the regular season in 438 and I heard almost over 80 in wmu 440. WOW that is a lot of rams
80 in 440 I think someone was bs'ing you.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
50% of rams were harvested in 440 , I know where im going next year .... lol......dont believe everything you hear !!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 PM

where do you guys see the harvest numbers?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 AM

every legal ram is registered,there must be numbers out there.What is the big deal,cant harvest the ones that are on the wall.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

If I remember correct the ram harvest numbers for the whole province are around 170 - 180. I dont have the numbers here but im sure its right close there.
SG
Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 AM

there is quite a few comes out of the hummingbird and wilmore but dont know the exact count,is it planned to make the hummingbird a draw zone?thats what i heard.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighornram View Post
there is quite a few comes out of the hummingbird and wilmore but dont know the exact count,is it planned to make the hummingbird a draw zone?thats what i heard.
There is talk of 422, 420, 438 as possible draw zones but nothing put forth yet that I know of.

And there are usually 4 -5 rams out of the two Hummingbird water sheds every year I would say on average.

SG
Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighornram View Post
Not this year. The government is currently getting a census on sheep populations province wide and looking at historical harvest information and we will likely know more about the future of sheep hunting in Alberta in April or May. They are working closely with a number of the province's hunting and conservation groups on this.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 AM

thanks guys for your input and sheep knowledge,but the way tj that was a stellar dall that you harvested.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 AM

If you want exact numbers phone fish & wildlife they can get you the numbers.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Heard 429 will be close for Rams in 2012.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
They are working closely with a number of the province's hunting and conservation groups on this.
That worries me.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-07-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
That worries me.
X2!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:19 PM
sheephunter

I spoke with the reps from a few of the groups involved.....I actually think we are in pretty good hands. From what I was told, seems the best interest of resident sheep hunters are definitely being well represented but perhaps your conversations with them have lead you to believe otherwise.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I spoke with the reps from a few of the groups involved.....I actually think we are in pretty good hands. From what I was told, seems the best interest of resident sheep hunters are definitely being well represented but perhaps your conversations with them have lead you to believe otherwise.
Absolutely they have.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Absolutely they have.
Care to expand? I'd like to hear it.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Absolutely they have.
Do tell.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Do tell.
Don't pick on the legend!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Don't pick on the legend!!!
LOL...I'm actually curious to hear what reps from these groups told him and longdraw that has them so concerned. I'd heard so much rumour and innuendo that I sought out a few of the people that are involved from the various groups and I felt very confident that resident sheep hunters' best interests were being looked after, after speaking with them but possibly I didn't get the whole story. Seems this most recent population survey and study of historical hunting data is a direct result of these groups asking SRD what the population numbers were and what the problem was, if any. Pretty much the same questions guys have been asking on this board. The one fellow from one of the groups sounded a bit frustrated at the internet inuendo though.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
LOL...I'm actually curious to hear what reps from these groups told him and longdraw that has them so concerned. I'd heard so much rumour and innuendo that I sought out a few of the people that are involved from the various groups and I felt very confident that resident sheep hunters' best interests were being looked after, after speaking with them but possibly I didn't get the whole story. Seems this most recent population survey and study of historical hunting data is a direct result of these groups asking SRD what the population numbers were and what the problem was, if any. Pretty much the same questions guys have been asking on this board. The one fellow from one of the groups sounded a bit frustrated at the internet inuendo though.
Everybody thinks there is some sort of problem. I know one fella who has a hard on for changing sheep to full curl for the province, but that's another issue!!! you'd get a kick out him.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Everybody thinks there is some sort of problem. I know one fella who has a hard on for changing sheep to full curl for the province, but that's another issue!!! you'd get a kick out him.
Just wondering if you guys have the age statistics on havested rams, harvestable numbers, population numbers and such?

Because that is the only way we will know there isnt a problem!
Many guys think populations are down, some think age structure is down, some think that harvesable ram populations are down. Thats all their opinions until actual facts are presented.
You guys have no place to say anyone is wrong without these numbers. You like them have opinions nothing more. Show the facts and show them where they are wrong or respect their opinion as the may not be all wrong!
SG
Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
LOL...ya he pm's me often.

Good thing is we'll finally have some real numbers soon. Too bad so many of these armchair experts are trying to fix things when we don't know if it's broken or not. Glad to see the groups I spoke with are keen on the science and historical data before agreeing to any changes.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Sheephunter,

I simply agreed with Chucks commentary that it is worrisome, that's it!

Why don't you tell us what you have heard that makes you feel very confident that resident sheep hunters best interests are being looked after? By the sounds of what you have heard all is good? I don't want to speculate, so please share.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
Sheephunter,

I simply agreed with Chucks commentary that it is worrisome, that's it!

Why don't you tell us what you have heard that makes you feel very confident that resident sheep hunters best interests are being looked after? By the sounds of what you have heard all is good? I don't want to speculate, so please share.
I did share above. These groups are demanding some concrete population numbers and some data from historical harvest stats first. I think you've said it countless times on here that you'd like to know what the problem was or even if there was one before we tried fixing it. Well from the people I spoke with, that's exactly what they are asking for. That's why I couldn't understand why you were concerned about the conservation groups that were sitting at the table. From what I heard, they seem to be echoing exactly what you said. What's worrisome about that?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Just wondering if you guys have the age statistics on havested rams, harvestable numbers, population numbers and such?

Because that is the only way we will know there isnt a problem!
Many guys think populations are down, some think age structure is down, some think that harvesable ram populations are down. Thats all their opinions until actual facts are presented.
You guys have no place to say anyone is wrong without these numbers. You like them have opinions nothing more. Show the facts and show them where they are wrong or respect their opinion as the may not be all wrong!
SG
Where did I say anyone was wrong!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Banned

^^ every time someone says they feel there is a problem, you say no there isnt. thats where you have said someone was wrong.

i am quick to point out what i feel are mistakes made by srd.....and there are a few that get me riled up....but im gonna have to pat them on the back this time. it seems to me that on this issue they are looking at the science involved as well as the wants and desires of various groups before making a decision. in my opinion that is the right way to do it.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
it seems to me that on this issue they are looking at the science involved as well as the wants and desires of various groups before making a decision. in my opinion that is the right way to do it.
Consider that there seems to be NO changes to the draw system this year ( priority cap, new sheep draws). SRD said there would be changes this spring.

This suggests to me that SRD is being careful in what they decide to do.