Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-27-2017, 10:29 PM

Default Best lightweight 3 man tent?

I've been researching for weeks and still can't decide what to buy for a lightweight early to mid season tent. what's your guys opinions and what are you running for lightweight tents? Any experiences with the MSR freelite 3?
Old 07-28-2017, 02:48 AM

I picked up a MSR Mutha Hubba NX 3 for this season and its been awesome in the few times ive used it. Tons of room for 2 guys and gear.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:49 AM

I'm using an MSR Hoop Tent (2 Person). It's a few years old, sort of the predecessor to the Freelite. It's an excellent tent. Thought about upgrading to the freelite as mine is a bit heavy for backpacking. MSR builds solid tents, so I wouldn't hesitate to try the freelite. Only concern would be that the floor on the freelite is only made of 15D material, where as most tents sit in the 60D-70D range.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:24 AM

I've been looking at purchasing a 3 man tent as well and have heard good things about the MSR tents. Have recently found out the kuiu makes a tent as well but am having a hard time finding info on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2017, 06:28 AM

For me it's the Hilleberg Nallo 3.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 07-28-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl91 View Post
I'm using an MSR Hoop Tent (2 Person). It's a few years old, sort of the predecessor to the Freelite. It's an excellent tent. Thought about upgrading to the freelite as mine is a bit heavy for backpacking. MSR builds solid tents, so I wouldn't hesitate to try the freelite. Only concern would be that the floor on the freelite is only made of 15D material, where as most tents sit in the 60D-70D range.
So then it's probably a good idea to buy the footprint to go with it for an extra $60 to protect the floor from damage?
Old 07-28-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmsniper View Post
So then it's probably a good idea to buy the footprint to go with it for an extra $60 to protect the floor from damage?
It would probably be a good idea. I use one with the Hoop, even in the summer time. For the amount that it weighs it is extra insurance against a leaking floor.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:56 AM

Has anyone used this one?

MSR Elixir:

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...g-Tent/p/71692
Old 07-29-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAD ON View Post
I picked up a MSR Mutha Hubba NX 3 for this season and its been awesome in the few times ive used it. Tons of room for 2 guys and gear.
Bought one this spring and it worked good in temperatures from -2 to middle 20's. Had a heavy wind and it stood it perfectly fine with ease.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAD ON View Post
Have been using this tent in the mountains for a few years and it has been great for two guys.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmsniper View Post
Cut out a piece of construction tyvek for the ground sheet. Works great and is essentially disposable.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:18 PM

There's a couple Kifaru, and Seek Outside options you could look at as well. The sawtooth or tut from kifaru, and the cimmaron from seek outside. I have the cimarron and it's pretty great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2017, 12:01 AM

i would look at seek outdoors or kifaru i just did the first scouting trip with my new redcliff from seek outside. i had the wife and two dogs with me and we easily fit with all our gear and a decent size woodpile. it has room for 6 plus the stove and gear the whole tipi breaks down into a small stuff sack smaller than a sleeping bag the stove you can leave at home but its pretty light i'm using a lighter sleeping bag with plans of using the stove instead of using a subzero bag which can get pretty bulky anyway. it brakes down to just over 8lbs with the tent, center pole,liner, and stove pretty light if you ask me i packed it plus 3 days of food and gear into a kuiu icon 3200 with no issues
Old 08-02-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post
Has anyone used this one?

MSR Elixir:

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...g-Tent/p/71692
I picked up an Elixer 3 man this spring. Not an ultralight, but fantastic for two people. Lots of floor space, two vestibules, and it packs up to HALF the size of the tent storage bag - if necessary. Not a good idea to store it long term wrapped tight, but great for minimizing space on a backpacking trip. A little over 5lbs if I recall correctly.

Taking it on the west coast trail in two weeks, so far I've used it a handful of times.

MSR makes good stuff.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
For me it's the Hilleberg Nallo 3.
Absolutely. There is nothing better. But it definitely comes with the price tag. I personally have hilleberg saivo and could not be happier. But like I said, comes with a hefty price tag.