Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 10:36 AM

Default Fly fishing stream recommendations for youth.

Hi all,

I am relatively new to fly fishing and owe my interest to someone else more experienced taking me out and giving me some pointers. My son is eager to try fly fishing as well (he is incredibly passionate about spin fishing). He has been watching youtube videos and trying to cast in the yard. I was hoping to take him out this weekend to try the Little Smoky for grayling, thinking that the area around the river is a bit more open so back casting would be simpler. Unfortunately the fire in the area is pretty close so I started thinking further south.

Would the Ram River area be a good choice to take a brand new fly fisher? I haven't been there before and I understand access to the lower stretches of the South Ram can be a bit challenging for access. Any other suggestions?

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-19-2017, 11:37 AM

the N Ram would be a good choice along the North Fork Rd. easy access to river, easy to walk and big cutties. river sees a lot of traffic so the cutties can be pretty finicky. better during the weekdays when it sees less traffic. but it does teach you how to present and drift a fly properly to get a rise out of them.

another good choice is the Freeman river up by Swan Hills. another good grayling river where they aren't overly fussy and when they are biting 50 - 100 grayling days are pretty common. if you are lucky you might even hook into a AthaB rainbow. the river is pretty wide open and easy to walk and wadw, but the rocks in the river are coveresd in what i can best describe as snot, so they are pretty slippery so use caution when wading the river.

as for the S Ram, i would fish above the falls and also along Hummingbird Cr above the Hummingbird falls. a lot easier to access then the lower section which runs mostly thru canyons. there is a road just before you hit the Ram Falls (if you are heading south along trunk rd) that follows the S Ram then heads up pass Hummingbird Falls to the upper stretch of the Hummingbird.

can't go wrong with any of these streams

Good Luck
Mike
Old 07-19-2017, 12:45 PM

Thanks Mike. I think I may have talked the missus into camping at the Ram River PP this weekend. Provided we can get a site that is.

SS

Old 07-19-2017, 08:09 PM

Small stream are the way to go for youths i suggest grayling you could fish marshhead or pine creek off the 947 on ur way to fox creek, lots of grayling will hit any dry fly on any cast haha lota of little arthabows aswell. And no ppl you should have it to urself . Graylimg are actually alot easier than cutties beleive it or not lol
Old 07-21-2017, 11:59 PM

Just Pmd you. Ill point you to to a stream very accessible for children in the Ram area. I had days of over 50 trout constantly.

Last edited by sedubius; 07-22-2017 at 12:00 AM. Reason: change
Old 07-23-2017, 06:26 PM

Just wanted to follow up here. Thank you all for your help here and through PMs. We ended up fishing the North and South Ram rivers and I'm happy to say that we had some good success. My son caught 11 cutthroat trout on the fly all on his own. He was pretty pumped!

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk