Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
X2 ! They ( Federal ) produce billions of rounds every year under contract for the military , police forces , and homeland security ,

So it should be good enough for bullet proof moose and other unfortunate creatures caught in the crosshairs of nearsighted weekend warriors
X3. Many animals down with these rounds before I ever reloaded anything.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
One group means absolutely nothing.
What happens when you try to repeat your .250 or sub .2 group? Like 5 different times.........

Even a blind squirrel will find a nut sooner or later...... just say'n.....

And as they say, pics or it didn't happen.

But don't worry boyz, you don't need a half em oh aye rifle to hunt deer, especially when you only burn a box a year. 1-1/2 to 2 em oh aye, will knock the heck outta any buck this side of 250 paces any day.
Why would i take a pic of a 3 shot group that i shot out of someone elses rifle when i was just sighting it in for them? As for one group meaning nothing, it meant a lot to the new shooter that his new rifle had potential and that he should be able to shoot an animal with it this fall. Thats all that mattered to him.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Why would i take a pic of a 3 shot group that i shot out of someone elses rifle when i was just sighting it in for them? As for one group meaning nothing, it meant a lot to the new shooter that his new rifle had potential and that he should be able to shoot an animal with it this fall. Thats all that mattered to him.
If'n yer hangin yer hat on a single group it's like say'n the pole dancer at the men's club must be in love with ya cuz she smiled at ya.

Chances are you're miss reading something someplace.

Don't feel bad, if it brings a feeling of confidence to the end user it sort of ok, but it doesn't prove a single thing other than one time you jerked, and twisted a series of shots just so, that they made a nice group. Bullets or loonies it's all the same.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-25-2017, 04:16 PM

I was always told by the old timers that, you actually do not want to use some of these expensive rounds for hunting, apparently they don't expand as well as a lot of these affordable soft points, and your not actually trying to shoot m.o.a. Many of these gunstore oldtimers actually recommend blue box Federal, like quite a few others on this thread!
Old 06-25-2017, 04:17 PM

The cheap Winchester power points are the most underrated factory ammo going. The power point bullet has been around since forever and it is better than the average bullet. They have a slightly thicker jacket than normal with cuts in the front to initiate expansion.

At one time (don't know if it is still true) the 180g bullets loaded in the 300 mags had a slightly harder core than the bullets loaded in the lower velocity ammo. There was a bullet test chart on the web 15 years ago showing test results for 180 g 30 cal bullets and the Winchester power point was one of the top performers at both low and high velocity.

As far as the 270 is concerned the bullets I used most for deer were the 130g Winchester power points and were about the best deer killers I have ever used.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
If'n yer hangin yer hat on a single group it's like say'n the pole dancer at the men's club must be in love with ya cuz she smiled at ya.

Chances are you're miss reading something someplace.

Don't feel bad, if it brings a feeling of confidence to the end user it sort of ok, but it doesn't prove a single thing other than one time you jerked, and twisted a series of shots just so, that they made a nice group. Bullets or loonies it's all the same.
LMAO: you sure come up with some doozies.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338 Rules View Post
With Nosler ABLR's I am getting .25 moa. Smoking Hot round too, but pricey.

I have also used way less expensive rounds and achieved the same results. In the end if your barrel likes it, it will work if it does not it won't.
So your new 338 is even more accurate than your 300WSM was?
Old 06-25-2017, 06:50 PM

I'm not going to dispute anyone results. But I know there is some damn fine factory ammo out there. You may not find accuracy with one specific brand / load . But chances are in your favour you can find something that will be satisfactory . It may take some trail and error on what is best for your rifle / use but that's no different than handloaders try to develop loads with Various bullets powders etc .

When building sniper rifles for law enforcement they were only fed factory ammo and they were definitely capable of 1/2 inch groups . Anything we built we shot and they shot well .

One should be capable of finding factory ammo that will shoot 1 - 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards out of most factory rifles
Old 06-25-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Well I do, and I have no reason to debate this with you so I am out.

To the OP try Nosler Trophy Grade ABLR's in your 300 Win Mag, if your barrel likes them you will be in for a pleasant surprise!
338Rules: Elk was not trying for a debate. You SEEM to be new around here, but with the high post count in a short period of time I have my doubts. If you are new here, we have had lots of BSers come on this site and brag about 1/4" groups, and crazy whacko talk. One head case even told us he could hit pie plates off hand at 500 yards. Guy was a real loon. Argued like a fool and lied like Judas Iscariot counting cash at a bingo hall. So forgive some of us if we are quick to question claims such as yours. Guys spend thousands upon thousands to chase 1/4" groups, and don't do it consistently. As I said earlier, post pics, and you will have everyone's mad respect.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Gone Hunting

If I get 1" at 300 yds with factory loads, I am happy. No animal will walk away. I have used Federal Premium in both 7mm Rem Mag & 25.06 for 30 years, and have come home with my animals every year that I have hunted. I have not had to track an animal in that time. I personally do not see the need for better accuracy hunting. If you are competition shooting where dead on accuracy is required, handloading will improve your accuracy.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
If I get 1" at 300 yds with factory loads, I am happy. No animal will walk away. I have used Federal Premium in both 7mm Rem Mag & 25.06 for 30 years, and have come home with my animals every year that I have hunted. I have not had to track an animal in that time. I personally do not see the need for better accuracy hunting. If you are competition shooting where dead on accuracy is required, handloading will improve your accuracy.
If you get consistent 1" groups at 300 yards, buy enough of that load to last a lifetime, before they decide to change it.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Never hand loaded a single round of high powered ammo and I sure have killed lots. Nothing wrong with factory ammo

For you're 300 Win Mag try Nosler Trophy Grade ABLR's in 190 Grain, deadly!
How much a box?

That what scares me about factory loads. I can reload that for $1.25 a round.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
How much a box?

That what scares me about factory loads. I can reload that for $1.25 a round.
I buy Nosler Trophy Grade Accubonds for my .388 @ $157.00 a box, but I only go through one box a year.

If you are doing lots of range shooting they are not the way to go, but if you are like me and just hunt and want quality ammo, its a good option.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post

1/3 MOA @ 300 consistently with factory loads? Care to give us details about the rifle?
Old 06-26-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I buy Nosler Trophy Grade Accubonds for my .388 @ $157.00 a box, but I only go through one box a year.

If you are doing lots of range shooting they are not the way to go, but if you are like me and just hunt and want quality ammo, its a good option.
Ouch! But as you say, it is a quality load and if you don't have any interest in reloading or volume shooting it is worth it.

I like to run at least 50 rounds a year through all my hunting rigs and a whole lot more through target/plinking rifles. I'd go broke buying factory.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:41 AM

I reload now but Winchester Silver boxes always shot good enough(about 2" groups ,sometimes better) in any of my 270's for hunting.Win red box 130 grs shot pretty consistant and better groups, out of a couple 270's.They dropped anything I shot with them.
I think it matters more where the first shot out of a cold barrel goes consistantly more than a 3 shot group,for hunting purposes.Most of my hunting rifles will only do a decent 2 shot group but thats fine for me in a hunting rifle.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:17 AM

Default 270 Win factory rounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors.Dad View Post
Hey everyone.
I usually handload for my 270 and 300 win mag but due to work I'll be out of town alot and just don't have the time. Any suggestions on decent factory ammo. I haven't bought a box in a long time. My 270 is a xbolt and my 300win mag is a tikka t3x.

I heard federal fusion is pretty cheap and accurate but never shot it before. I know every rifle is different just looking for options that have worked for others.
My Browning A-Bolt II in .270 love the Hornady Custom 140's.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
1/3 MOA @ 300 consistently with factory loads? Care to give us details about the rifle?
I meant to say 1 1/2" at 300 yds. shooting 160 gr. Accubonds. The rifle is a Voere Titan II, with Zeiss HD5 3x15x42 scope. Kleinguenther used these rifles to build his custom rifles on.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Guys spend thousands upon thousands to chase 1/4" groups, and don't do it consistently. .
AMEN to that!! I (now) quit load development at about .3 MOA because that is as good as I can shoot on a GOOD day. Congrats to those that can shoot .25 MOA consistently with ANYTHING.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
338Rules: Elk was not trying for a debate. You SEEM to be new around here, but with the high post count in a short period of time I have my doubts. If you are new here, we have had lots of BSers come on this site and brag about 1/4" groups, and crazy whacko talk. One head case even told us he could hit pie plates off hand at 500 yards. Guy was a real loon. Argued like a fool and lied like Judas Iscariot counting cash at a bingo hall. So forgive some of us if we are quick to question claims such as yours. Guys spend thousands upon thousands to chase 1/4" groups, and don't do it consistently. As I said earlier, post pics, and you will have everyone's mad respect.
There are no better means than to show your abilities and those of your rifle and loads by showing up at a shoot where all can witness the claims. Unfortunately, none of these great marksmen that make internet claims are a "no show" at most events where they could win a prize or some cash. I would have no issue shooting against a guy that makes all day long .25 MOA claims.

Last edited by gitrdun; 06-26-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
There are no better means than to show your abilities and those of your rifle and loads by showing up at a shoot where all can witness the claims. Unfortunately, none of these great marksmen that make internet claims are a "no show" at most events where they could win a prize or some cash.
A lot of these so called marksmen that only frequent gun ranges can't shoot in a real world hunting scenarios either. Targets with fur and a brain don't care how tight your groups are, or how you can read the wind.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:04 PM

Buck fever is a real thing, but in my experience, guys who spend time chasing accuracy at the range, usually find it when they are starting at four legged creatures.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Buck fever is a real thing, but in my experience, guys who spend time chasing accuracy at the range, usually find it when they are starting at four legged creatures.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
And if you can't hit a paper target off of a bench rest, you aren't likely going to be a precision shot on game under field conditions.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And if you can't hit a paper target off of a bench rest, you aren't likely going to be a precision shot on game under field conditions.
Damn straight.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:17 PM

A guy can get anal, but shooting gongs offhand at 100 consistently, and then 200 and 300 off of a shooting rest that you will be using in the field (i.e. bi or tripod, is good practice for hunting conditions. I like hunting with guys like that. Guys who take two or three shots before the season? Not too much.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
A lot of these so called marksmen that only frequent gun ranges can't shoot in a real world hunting scenarios either. Targets with fur and a brain don't care how tight your groups are, or how you can read the wind.
Somebody quote this guy, he's got better lines than I can drum up.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-26-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I don't know any competitive shooters that are lousy hunters.
I sure know a lot of guys who consider themselves better than competitors that can't shoot animals with any consistency.
Cat
Old 06-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I don't know any competitive shooters that are lousy hunters.

Cat
I do.

If I were to say black is black, you'd call it white.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I do.

If I were to say black is black, you'd call it white.
No I wouldn't ,
I don't know if you compete but I sure have and for many years .
I also know lots of competitors I. Many different disciplines that shoot hand loads in competition. No factory Ammo for hunting .
Cat
Old 06-26-2017, 06:57 PM

Out of factory ammo ran through a chrono that i use in my 270 win and 338win mag..... Nosler Trophy Grade has the most consistancy that i have found so far.