Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 08:42 PM

Default Devils Lake

I was wondering if anyone had any details on Devils Lake near Onoway. I have searched online and cant find much. Is there a campground? Whats the boat launch like etc? Does it get green? Most importantly, how is the fishing?
Thanks for any info,
Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbax View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any details on Devils Lake near Onoway. I have searched online and cant find much. Is there a campground? Whats the boat launch like etc? Does it get green? Most importantly, how is the fishing?
Thanks for any info,
The official name is:

Matchayaw (Devils) Lake

You can check ifish using that name.

I haven't been out there this year so perhaps others who have would be better at answering your questions.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:05 PM

Very deep lake, but fishing is pretty hit or miss. Used to have big perch, but not sure about anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2017, 10:47 PM

I was out there last weekend looking for Perch. Didn't find any but I did catch 14 pike while trolling from spot to spot along the drop off near the weed line. Two of the pike were over 63cm but I didn't keep them. Was out for about 4 hours in my Kayak so that should give you a hint about trolling speed.

Was an enjoyable day on a small lake despite the fact I didn't find any Perch.

There is no campground on the lake, the gravel boat launch is on the north end of the lake at about the mid point. Saw a few people with trailers and larger boats and they seemed to make out ok.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNPiper View Post
I was out there last weekend looking for Perch. Didn't find any but I did catch 14 pike while trolling from spot to spot along the drop off near the weed line. Two of the pike were over 63cm but I didn't keep them. Was out for about 4 hours in my Kayak so that should give you a hint about trolling speed.

Was an enjoyable day on a small lake despite the fact I didn't find any Perch.

There is no campground on the lake, the gravel boat launch is on the north end of the lake at about the mid point. Saw a few people with trailers and larger boats and they seemed to make out ok.

Can you fish off a dock here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 AM

No dock. I have seen people fishing off the bridge on the gravel road in. Not sure how they make out though
Old 07-27-2017, 12:39 PM

Was a great perch lake, legit chance at >14 in until word got out. Now you'd be lucky to find a 6 in perch. The whites suffered a hard kill around the same time...7-8 years ago if memory serves. haven't heard of any being caught recently. Occasional large walleye and quite a few hammer handle pike. I don't know if there is natural walleye reproduction or if they wash down but I have seen a couple little ones caught. Last time I was there I landed a 4 lb ish walleye on a tiny perch jig, and that was all.

All in all, another like wrecked by increasing populations of people who can't keep their mouths shut.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:27 PM

Even though we couldn't keep it, we caught a 8lbs walleye last spring.
That was definitely an exception though. We usually just get a couple pike in the western half of the lake.
It's a nice lake because it is so close to Edmonton... which is why it is getting so busy.