Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 10:58 PM
Banned

Default Fishing lodges on west coast?

Its been 30 years since I went fishing on the west coast, does anyone have a recommendation for a good lodge with charters. Its just me and two friends so we are not looking for 5 star resort and we need someone to take us out in a boat. A nice place to chat and have a beer after a day of fishing type thing...any suggestions would be great,,,,oh and about a four day trip is all.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:31 AM

Give Danny Escott a call at Escott Lodge in Masset. We had a great trip and all caught our limit this year. The lodge is smaller but cozy and the boats and guides are fantastic.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:33 AM

heading to west view marine on van island full service meals boat guide lodging, will report when we get back.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:13 AM

Default Westview Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
heading to west view marine on van island full service meals boat guide lodging, will report when we get back.
Hey, when are you going to be there? We are heading there next week!
Old 07-27-2017, 01:54 PM

Thumbs up Morning Magic Ucluelet or Pacific Sportsfishing Port Renfrew

Check Nick Yanchuk and crew out, top shelf people and equipment, Great place to stay & fish...IMO

Or Pacific Sportfishing in Port Renfrew BC Capt Dan Harvey super guide and boats ,gear etc.

I can provide many years of info and experience with both if you want to chat...
Cheers

Greg
Old 07-28-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Its been 30 years since I went fishing on the west coast, does anyone have a recommendation for a good lodge with charters. Its just me and two friends so we are not looking for 5 star resort and we need someone to take us out in a boat. A nice place to chat and have a beer after a day of fishing type thing...any suggestions would be great,,,,oh and about a four day trip is all.
What part of the island are you looking at going?
Old 07-31-2017, 08:55 PM
Banned

I'm looking for may next year and dont know if the island is even the place to go,
Old 08-01-2017, 05:38 AM

If you have the dough Langara Lodge is the place to go. After the long weekend in May can find some really big springs.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
If you have the dough Langara Lodge is the place to go. After the long weekend in May can find some really big springs.
X2
Langara anywhere.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 AM

Try Sandspit Adventures on Haida Gwaii.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
Hey, when are you going to be there? We are heading there next week!
we fished july 29,30 and 31. having a hard time loading pics
Old 08-04-2017, 10:43 AM

I'd have to say IMO Hippa would have to be one of if not the most premier location and accommodations on the west coast. But there are literally hundreds of outfits. Lots of homework required to find what will fit you style and needs.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
X2
Langara anywhere.
Do you know how to mooch or willing to learn?

I had two guys drop out of my trip. There are 66 of us flying in a 737 from Calgary to Masset. Aug 29-Sep 2, 2017. It is our 12th year doing this.

I can put 3 on a boat without a guide or 2 on a boat with a guide unless you don't mind being a bit cramped...then we could squeeze 3 on.

We have a group discount due to the long term trip relationship. PM me if interested in coming and I can provide more details.

Helicopter, 737 flight, gourmet food, guide, tax, some booze, packaging all included. This price is about 40% off the regular price.

Let me know asap if you are interested. I just sent an email out to the group to see who has friends that want to come. Great bunch of guys and we have free trip and cash prizes to be won which is included in the price.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-04-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
X2
Langara anywhere.
x3

Heading back for my fourth trip later this month.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
we fished july 29,30 and 31. having a hard time loading pics
Nice, we are here now, first day was pretty good!
Old 08-08-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Nice, we are here now, first day was pretty good!
2 halibut one 65 ibs one 45 lbs , 34 lb ling and a 25 lb ling , some yellow eye rock fish . biggest Chinook was 20 lbs.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
2 halibut one 65 ibs one 45 lbs , 34 lb ling and a 25 lb ling , some yellow eye rock fish . biggest Chinook was 20 lbs.
Sounds like a big success. Did you go for the 3 day / 2 night package?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Well first day was the only day that was ok. The biggest and my only hali was 27lbs. I'm currently talking with John about a refund for a tuna fishing that we paid extra money for a never received! Will write a full review on all sites/forums after we see where they stand. Not to hopeful though! Can I ask you how many were in your party and what boat/guide did u have? We had s group of 4 plus guide on a boat with 4 seats....
Old 08-14-2017, 06:37 PM

just have to add...

After going to Jamies lodge for 2 years, I bought my own boat.

I MUCH prefer it this way.

I fish when I want and go back when I want. I take along whoever I want, and as much as I love fishing with Robb Kevin Bob and Shea, I did not like waiting for 3 other guys to catch a fish before it was my turn again.
Now the port downrigger is mine, the stbrd is yours, and when we go for groundfish everyone has their own rod.

BUY A BOAT!!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-14-2017, 10:56 PM

Just came back friday from three and a half days, four nights at winter harbour resort. Three of us came back with 400 lbs fish, gutted and headless. Limit on snappers, halibut -largest 60 lbs, chinook-largest 37 lbs, ling cod -largest 25 lbs, some small coho, assorted rockfish.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:07 PM

Also going to rivers inlet, black gold lodge, with another group of friends this friday for a week. My 25th year with them. Targetting larger coho (10-25 lbs). Occasional large chinook (personal best 62 lbs but that was back in 1999) and halibut. Going to use some of what i learned at winter harbour to search for large ling. Mostly mooching but going to try tossing bucktails in the kelp this year.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:28 PM
AO Sponsor

If going to Rivers try trolling with fly gear and using flies for Coho...absolute blast right up against the kelp...tough to get them to bite sometimes but when you do it is the best fight you'll have on the light gear...not quite big Northern Coho time yet but may hit the beginning of it up there. Will be fun trip! Living the life jhfong!
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 08-15-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
If going to Rivers try trolling with fly gear and using flies for Coho...absolute blast right up against the kelp...tough to get them to bite sometimes but when you do it is the best fight you'll have on the light gear...not quite big Northern Coho time yet but may hit the beginning of it up there. Will be fun trip! Living the life jhfong!
Thanks for the fly fishing tip. Im looking forward to trying something different.im hoping this fall to hit the conuma river estuary with my kayak and flyrod. Will be returning in two years to try the port hardy area with my first group of friends. Then it will be my turn to pick the lodge. Your operation is on my list.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfong View Post
Just came back friday from three and a half days, four nights at winter harbour resort. Three of us came back with 400 lbs fish, gutted and headless. Limit on snappers, halibut -largest 60 lbs, chinook-largest 37 lbs, ling cod -largest 25 lbs, some small coho, assorted rockfish.
Nice! Winter Harbour Lodge? Guided?
I'm asking as I was checking that out as well.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a big success. Did you go for the 3 day / 2 night package?
3 day 4 night
Old 08-20-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Well first day was the only day that was ok. The biggest and my only hali was 27lbs. I'm currently talking with John about a refund for a tuna fishing that we paid extra money for a never received! Will write a full review on all sites/forums after we see where they stand. Not to hopeful though! Can I ask you how many were in your party and what boat/guide did u have? We had s group of 4 plus guide on a boat with 4 seats....
there was 4 of us the first 2 days ben was the guide the boat was fiber glass 24 foot 300 hp Suzuki and 20 troller motor only 4 seats 2 in frt 2 rear facing white boat red stripe . 3rd day went with ray in his 26 foot metal hard top i think it was a wellcraft nice boat lots of room 2 150 hp yammys . dry ride in high seas . the first 2 days we got wet and cold in rear facing seats. crappy boat for fishing big seas
Old 08-22-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
there was 4 of us the first 2 days ben was the guide the boat was fiber glass 24 foot 300 hp Suzuki and 20 troller motor only 4 seats 2 in frt 2 rear facing white boat red stripe . 3rd day went with ray in his 26 foot metal hard top i think it was a wellcraft nice boat lots of room 2 150 hp yammys . dry ride in high seas . the first 2 days we got wet and cold in rear facing seats. crappy boat for fishing big seas
Thanks, ya we had 4 of us plus the guide I had to sit on my beer cooler which sucked in the big seas! We also paid an extra $1000 fir tuna fishing and it wasn't never even offered or brought up to us! We lost one afternoon of fishing cause of downrigger failure and was told they would make up for it the next day, they never did! One day pop and stuff was included in meal plan next day they charged us! Lunches wrong everyday I can go on and on but needless to say we were not happy! Hard lesson learned for me, the bigger boats and decent fishing would of made a big difference
Old 08-23-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks, ya we had 4 of us plus the guide I had to sit on my beer cooler which sucked in the big seas! We also paid an extra $1000 fir tuna fishing and it wasn't never even offered or brought up to us! We lost one afternoon of fishing cause of downrigger failure and was told they would make up for it the next day, they never did! One day pop and stuff was included in meal plan next day they charged us! Lunches wrong everyday I can go on and on but needless to say we were not happy! Hard lesson learned for me, the bigger boats and decent fishing would of made a big difference
who was your guide and what did you catch , the guide called cowboy was bringing in the most when we were there, what days were you fishing
Old 08-25-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
who was your guide and what did you catch , the guide called cowboy was bringing in the most when we were there, what days were you fishing
Our guide was Jim and we were on his boat called Twin Strikes, we fished Aug 5th,6th and 7th. We caught 4 hali's the first day two tiny ones and the ok one being a whopping 27#. Think we got 5 Chinook and a couple pinks total in the 3 days. 1 ling and the last day we basically caught rock fish. There were guides out at the whale tail and potato catching at same time as us. Stan was the guide that impressed me has a decent boat and goes above and beyond to get his guests fish. He works for one of the bands there though not westview but I think sometimes John hires him through the band.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Nice! Winter Harbour Lodge? Guided?
I'm asking as I was checking that out as well.
Guided. 3.5 days. 26 foot boat. $8000 for the three of us . Frank was the guide. Arrived monday, picked up at coal harbour. Supper in the lodge. Fished 3.5 days left for port hardy on friday. Picked up fish at hardy boys, filleted, vac packed and flash frozen ( fish processing was extra)