Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-27-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Fly Fishing Starter

I am interested in getting into fly fishing, but I know absolutely nothing about it. Does anyone have any input on a starter rod/reel that would be economical and effective for a newby? My plan is to start out at the local trout pond and make my way to the mountains when I have figured it out a little bit.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:38 AM

take a lesson. They often discuss equipment and let you try different rods. One fly shop in Calgary advertised lessons on the bow where you got to keep the outfit you used.

I've seen TFO kits (A good brand) at Canadian Tire.

Last edited by Okotokian; 07-27-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:41 AM

You can try Cabela's/BassPro or Wholesale Sports in Calgary for a good starting rod and reel kit.
The kit includes a rod and reel (+line for reel) which is in the price range of around $200.
I started fly fishing with the "Orvis Encounter" kit which i purchased at Cabela's, I recommend this as Orvis makes a good product, but to each their own.
You can always go into one of these stores and i'm sure a rep. would be happy to help you out as well.

Hope this helps, good luck
Old 07-27-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I've seen TFO kits (A good brand) at Canadian Tire.
I didn't know this existed!! TFO kicks all rods.... if you're a Calgary local...and happen to be clumsy like myself.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangledangler View Post
I am interested in getting into fly fishing, but I know absolutely nothing about it. Does anyone have any input on a starter rod/reel that would be economical and effective for a newby? My plan is to start out at the local trout pond and make my way to the mountains when I have figured it out a little bit.

Ive only been fly fishing 1 yr, but i started out with a free "Intro to Fly Fishing" at Cabellas....intro to gear, casting, tying, reading water etc...well worth the cost (of $0) not to mention they fed us tons of free toffee, caramel and the roasted chocolate nuts...mmm good...

I ended up buying a TFO 5wt rod directly from their TFO office in Calgary Springbrook Mfg (TempleFork Outfitters)..dont know if im allowed to post address etc as it almost sounds like advertising...
Choi has been great dealing with...always takes time to talk with me about flies, tying, fishing, and even let me try casting in the warehouse..haha
tony
Old 07-27-2017, 09:11 AM

Smile Some 60 year old advice?

If you would like some here it is. BTW this was for trout fishing, brook trout at that. I was 10 years old.

The rod and the line are the keys the reel just holds the line.
Careful wading will do more for you than long casts.
Buy a line that you can see.
Fish in places others can't
You will lose flys, tie your own.
A longer rod makes pick up easier.

There that ought to get you started. If you get a lesson, take his advice not mine. My first rod came from CTC for $10.00 and was glass and very soft, the line was a DT and silk, it was hard to pick up and I had to keep greasing it so that it would float.

You'll love it.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:21 AM

Where are you located?

If Calgary, the University of Calgary Outdoor Program offers "Try Fly Fishing" courses that are quite economical and include all equipment. Try before you buy!

-Confucius
Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 AM

I am from Edmonton. I am an avid spin fisher and am excited about trying something different.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:20 AM

Northern Lights Fly Fishers is a good club based in Edmonton. They would have some resources for you and a good way to get connected into a group of others with the same interest.

http://www.nlft.org/newsletters/

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-27-2017, 02:39 PM

Yeah, I would think Northern Lights Fly Fishers would be a good starting point. Before they existed, I found an introductory class through the Public School Continuing Education catalogue. Taught by a guy from the Fishin' Hole. So, something to keep an eye out for too.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangledangler View Post
Take a class. Nothing about fly fishing is particularly hard, but there is enough nuanced information it is best for most people to have someone experienced organize and deliver the information. You will learn more in 8 hours than you would an entire summer on your own.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:54 AM

I have an Echo base 5w rod and absolutely love it, $200 and it comes with rod, reel and line ready to fish out of the box. In time you will want to change out the line to something better but to get you started it will work just fine.

SUN TZU
Old 07-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Suspended User

Sometimes used is great. You can buy a great older rods at garage sales, because of that old movie. Everyone had to take up fly fishing years ago because the movie was popular.
The rods have changed a lot, as well as the lines. I bought a Spey rod at value village for $40.00, sometimes you get lucky.
I've noticed a lot of starter kits that flex sideways when I play with them in the stores. I give them a flick, and watch the action. Some are ok, others flop around.
I spent a whole summer casting on the lawn(40years ago), and eventually got the hang of it. It was way cheaper than losing flies.
Like said, wading is better than long casting. You will learn that it's easier to sneak along than try to cast a hundred feet. I laugh when I read braggards saying how far they can fling a fly.

Also great is getting out with someone and try their gear. Unfortunately, I'm in Innisfail so I'm not going to be helpful unless you like to road trip.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:07 PM

Cabelas in Calgary had a deal on a whole kit, rod, reel, backing, floating line, leader, and tippet. Also a carrying case. I believe the rods were 4 piece and between 3 and 6wt. Pretty good deal for 200$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk