Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-27-2017, 01:01 PM

Default Red deer river

Just curious how the fishing was on the red deer river by trenville park or anywhere around that. And possibly what I would be able to target never fished it and will be there at the end of August.

As always thanks for any advice

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2017, 02:46 PM

I fished the RDR last night for a couple of hours near Blackfalds. Upstream of Red Deer, there is a lot of diversity. Downstream, it gets pretty slow and warm.

The entire river is packed full of goldeye. They are an under-appreciated fish which put up a good fight. Any of your typical trout flies will work. I like fishing for them with little streamers---size 6 (and smaller) wooly buggers work great. They will also eagerly take a dry fly. With this heat, there will probably be an insane amount of hoppers in that area. They are super eager fish, but have smaller mouths. They will hit almost anything, but to consistently hook them, you should probably use a slightly smaller hook.

The deeper darker holes are likely to have resident walleye and/or pike. The walleye can be fun to fish for, but you will need to use a pike leader if you do not want to donate your flies. For this reason, I tend to leave them alone and just fish for the goldeye.

My RDR secret weapon is a size 10 olive-n-white clouser minnow. It is a little small for the pike, but both the walleye/sauger and goldeye will both go for it.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:05 PM

Fantastic thank you, I'll be just south of reddeer about an hour and hoping to get into some good brown and rainbow fishing. Never caught either on a river

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk