Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2018, 10:54 PM

Default Maps for Hummingbird Ice Sonar

I got the ICE Helix 5 for Christmas and have used it a handfull of times but I will admit I am new to the sonar game.

I was hoping to get some tips / help on how to add bathymetry information to it. It says it comes loaded with 10000 US lakes, but that does not help me here.

Most of what I can find on this forum and others, says the available information is pretty crappy so I am just wondering what other people use with their hummingbirds?

If someone was so inclined to share their maps, is that even possible?

I apologize for my ignorance but that is just what it is I really am not sure "how it works" so any information you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:00 AM

I use the navionics + card in my helix 5
Old 01-25-2018, 06:31 PM

I have been searching for the same info. After hours of reading searching and spending $ on cards the navionics + will kinda work for a reference. The best way if you have the helix with gps and auto chart is to map your areas yourself in the summer save them to the unit then hit the ice next season. The humminbird lake master pro is useless other than lots of space to store autochart the navionics is a blue smug in the shape of your lake with a few depth lines you could probably draw more detail by hand.
If you find something that works great let me know
Old 01-25-2018, 07:05 PM
Banned

Are any of you guys running the autochart pro software? Is it worth the money?
Old 01-25-2018, 07:15 PM

I will be experimenting with auto chart pro this summer mapping my spots on helix ten then transporting info onto helix five for winter fishing. I was having a very hard time justifying the price of all of these cards. But I Kijijied the navionics + and almost kijijied the autochart pro but ended up finding one for 70% off at wholesale. So full price no way would I buy them.
Check out the social fishing maps made by Laurence owners shared publicly kinda get your bearings and points of interest that you want to have more detail mark then I use a iPhone mapping program the runs on gps. Then when I’m on the boat this summer I can turn on my phone go to my points I marked autochart those spots and be a happy camper, well that’s the plan anyway. I was having trouble with autochart last season.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
I have been searching for the same info. After hours of reading searching and spending $ on cards the navionics + will kinda work for a reference. The best way if you have the helix with gps and auto chart is to map your areas yourself in the summer save them to the unit then hit the ice next season. The humminbird lake master pro is useless other than lots of space to store autochart the navionics is a blue smug in the shape of your lake with a few depth lines you could probably draw more detail by hand.
If you find something that works great let me know
Wouldn't this assume I have a boat and a boat transducer? Both of which I do not.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Wouldn't this assume I have a boat and a boat transducer? Both of which I do not.
Well then navionics is your only choice. It's mediocre at best.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Well then navionics is your only choice. It's mediocre at best.
Sound like I will just go without. Certainly doesn't sound worth it.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:52 PM
Banned

You can get it on your phone for a lot less money or use it for free on their website. It will give you an idea of what the lake is like but don't expect it to be accurate.

Tags
depth, hummingbird, mapping, maps, sonar