Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white whaler View Post
rocky mountain brookies,,,,,,and rainbows.yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm,along with a slice of toast,and a cup of red rose.
C'mon....its gotta be Tetley!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Banned

I love trout, cooked over the campfire. I do not keep trout often at all but when I do I demolish it as its my favorite fish to eat.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Talking

little 6 inch bookies in a fry pan,,,,,,i need to hit the forestry trout road,,before i kills somebody
Old 05-30-2011, 06:07 PM

White flesh fish are by far better to me,in order... walleye,burbot,cold water pike and perch,dont like whitefish and for trout, splake is the best hands down,,hard to beat smoked or canned lake trout too!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:24 PM

id say pike, Handsdown, Deepfried batterd in old dutch salt in vinegar chips mmm,
Really close in second id say Burbot, Then Walleyes Then Perch,
they're all too damn delicious
Old 05-30-2011, 07:11 PM

As a fellow nova scotian i will tell you that pike perch whites and burbot are all delicious ive yet to try a fish here i didnt like. I wont mention trout cuz we got tons of em down home they taste the same here as they do there......delicious
Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 PM

walleye hands down.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:04 PM

Bull trout fried in butter and garlic mmmmmmmmmm...
Old 05-30-2011, 09:06 PM

Perch, but it's been a while since I've eaten one.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.goldeye View Post
Bull trout fried in butter and garlic mmmmmmmmmm...
I figured you would like your bull trout poached?

Lefty
Old 05-30-2011, 09:56 PM

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Actric Grayling , a great pan fry fish .
Old 05-31-2011, 12:41 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
Kegriver, How do you cook goldeye to make them edible? I tried them once and thought they were horrendous.
First, remember that Goldeye are oily and strong tasting and their bones are very fine (thin).

As I said, I like that taste, not much one can do about the texture so far as I know.

I have two methods. My favourite;

Make a campfire on the river bank. Catch a Goldeye. Gut it, don't scale it or cut it up, simply roast it just like a wiener. Put a stick through it's mouth and up to the end of the body cavity, press the stick into the flesh at the end of the cavity, then hold over hot coals until the eyes turn white. Then skin and eat. Watch out for the bones!

The second way is to scale, gut and section into three or four pieces, then fry in butter with a little salt and pepper. When done this way, I find it helps to rake the meat off the spine with a fork, working outward from the backbone. This will leave most of the bones attached to the backbone. Just a few of the fine bone remain with the meat with this technique.

Note that done this way the flesh is even softer and oilier then when done the first way.

I like them done either way.

One last thing. Goldeye are best early in the year, while the water is still cold from winter. As the weather and the water warms the meat gets softer, stronger flavoured and oilier. By late summer they can become so oily that one can squeeze oil out of the raw flesh and the flesh becomes mush.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:16 AM

Shoot,

If you like haddock, you'll love walleye.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'd best just try a bit of everything.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

this should be a poll infact im going to make one. mine highly depends on the way its cooked.

I have an absolutely amazing smoked whitefish recipie that is better than any smoked salmon hands down

Walleye is always good

Female brook trout is the best trout I have ever had, cooked with my special glaze

perch nuggets breaded in a special spice blend

all those tied for 1st. If any of you are lucky enough to come on my boat this year I will definitely bring some of my whitefish for you to drool over
Old 05-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
this should be a poll infact im going to make one. mine highly depends on the way its cooked.

I have an absolutely amazing smoked whitefish recipie that is better than any smoked salmon hands down

Walleye is always good

Female brook trout is the best trout I have ever had, cooked with my special glaze

perch nuggets breaded in a special spice blend

all those tied for 1st. If any of you are lucky enough to come on my boat this year I will definitely bring some of my whitefish for you to drool over
Do the poll as a more than 1 choice, or do 3 polls,,, first one being fave'est eatin, 2nd being 2nd favest and 3rd being 3rd fave'est eatins.

my answer to the OP is anything cooked within 10 minutes of catching it in a skillet over a campfire, with onions and potatos and salt & pepper
Old 05-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Gone Hunting

"then hold over hot coals until the eyes turn white"

Now there's a man who knows how to cook fish on an open fire.

I love small rainbows done like that.

Braun:
"I have an absolutely amazing smoked whitefish recipie that is better than any smoked salmon hands down"

How about sharing the recipe please?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Gone Hunting

"When thirty or forty people set up a fish cannery at your favourite fishing hole for a week or more every year, it isn't long befor there isn't anything left for anyone else."

what are they canning? Sounds like salmon on the coast.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Braun:
"I have an absolutely amazing smoked whitefish recipie that is better than any smoked salmon hands down"

How about sharing the recipe please?
Hmmm. I would deny you but you said please

ok, so a couple key things:

cook on a lower temperature than you would normally. This is because I slow smoke my fish because I love my smokey flavour. Now most people will say "well that is just going to dry out your fish." then I shove a piece of moist golden smokey heaven in their mouths and i never hear a word about dry again. lol. im not sure what kind of smokers you guys have but it took a while to figure out how to get maximum smoke in mine. do whatever you can to achieve this.

Woodchips: i use a mixture of hickory and mesquite. i usually try to get one in the large chip format and one in the finer mulch type. The mulch type smokes more but burns quicker.

Brine: bowl of water + equal parts of brown sugar and sea salt until the water cannot disolve any more of the two.

Let brine for as long as you are patient. Probably Idea to do it over night but quite often I'm too damn impatient and only brine for a few hours. With rockey mountain white (what I always use) you can get away with it because they are smaller and will not need as long to absorb the brine.

Take out of the brine and let dry for as long as you are patient. Once again, I'm not the picture of patients. I usually the to speed it up by dabbing a paper towel over them then let set for as long as i can stand not seeing them in the smoker. (about 30 min) I would reccommend a hour - two. a light / whitish film is supposed to be present when they are ready. I usually just go with whether or not it's tacky to my finger when i touch it. If it doesnt and just slides off its not dry enough.

here is the secret though......... mix together a mixture of olive oil and tony's original creole . I get my tony's brought to me from houston. rumor has it that it can now be found at specialty BBQ places here in calgary now. Not sure if that is true but I heard its something like 6 bucks for a small bottle. I get a big bottle of it for a buck from houston. lol. I put this stuff on everything. no more do i use any other type of salt of any kind other than garlic. Seasoning salt is dead to me. this stuff has so much flavour and is to be a salt replacement. i put it on steaks, eggs, sauces, any meats.......

anyways. mix the tony's and olive oil (be generous with the tony's) glaze the meat side of the fillets with the oil and tonys. (fillets still have skin on them) and then throw on the smoker. glaze the fillets a few times throughout the smoking. and make sure you are putting as much smoke through as possible. If your smoker has a pan that you fill with water to keep humidity up use it. it makes a difference.

cooking time, I havent done any this year to tell you but i typically watch it and decide when its ready by looks and taste. but typically i try to aim for 5 hours (temperature dependent) longer if its a cooler day shorter if its 25 deg outside. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can continue to smoke for a while even if the fish is fully cooked and it wont dry out much. i only do it to achieve extra smoke and tonys flavour. my best tasting batches are usually the one that the exterior flesh is like a brown. the darker the better apparently. I had one batch of fillets turn out a dark and almost looked burnt and might've even turned some people off of that patch thinking it was cooked too long.... in fear of that i kept it to myself and fed everyone a different batch I had made. Turned out that dark batch was the best one I ever did.

o man now i just want to smoke some rockies and the river is closed
Old 05-31-2011, 07:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"When thirty or forty people set up a fish cannery at your favourite fishing hole for a week or more every year, it isn't long befor there isn't anything left for anyone else."

what are they canning? Sounds like salmon on the coast.
It is my understanding that they can everything they catch, which would be Walleye, Pike, Goldeye, and possibly Suckers and Burbot.

At one time, it was not hard to catch one's limit in that fishing hole, in a few hours.
Today you could fish there for weeks and not get one bite.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM

Ha, Ha. That was very funny. lol