Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2011, 11:33 PM

Default Custom Dyed and Tyed Salmon Flies

We've been givin'er lately tying and dying Polar Bear for our Salmon fishery on the Fly...Forecasted to be a huge year, so many people and shops are getting stocked up for Coho Chinook and whatever else will hit in the Salt.

Even though we have tried to tie regularily since the New Year, we have been slammed for the last month with tying for our own Fly Shop, along with custom orders for a few other shops and many individuals planning to fish between Portland and the Queen Charlottes.

I have been asked by numerous members to post our main patterns and some colors so guys might be able to tie up a few for their trips this year, or choose some for us to tie for you Custom. I will be re-working our Fly Box page at TofinoFishing.com as soon as possible, and also posting some of the images on the forum. (Kingfisher, I will take you up on your previous offer)

My shop Flymaster and I spent approx. 8 hours dying nearly half a Polar Bear hide two nights ago, in our main custom colours; Hot Pink, Chartruese, Kelly Green, Kingfisher Blue, Fluo Orange and some Dark Green. We are very happy with the finished colour products, that we will be able to turn into our custom casting and trolling patterns, especially our trademark Articulate Clayoquot Clouser that has been more popular than ever since we showed it on an episode of Sportfishing BC.
I will try and share this in a step by step video as well.

We still have space for some prime dates for Salt Flyfishing dates this season for any interested.

Some sample images below.....

Some quick pics below
Old 05-27-2011, 11:41 PM

very nice work

i have a question for you...
ive made 2 attempts to dye some polar bear a dark almost black purple.....ive done this before hundreds of times and now i cant seem to get it right
Im using a Veniard dye.
if i send you the hair can i pay you to custom dye it for me? Its 10-11 inch hair and i dont want to ruin it. Its obviously the patches from behind the legs

thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 11:56 PM

Hi Chub,

We will be glad to help you with this. I didn't do any Purple or Black in the last batch and actually plan to do a small batch of these colors soon. Today I received a custom order for Purple/Black with a Red lateral and sparse White belly, so will need to get on it as my stock of longer dark hair is depleted. I have found that doing Black can be a little tricky with tip burn but I would test small pieces of shorts before soaking your good long hair.
Most of my last hide was 5-9 inches, so we have a good stock for a while now. Your 10-11 inch hair is very rare, and if I don't feel that I will get it right for you, I will hold back and send back. We should be good though.
I used some Veniard and some from Superfly this last session, and no problems with either.

Jay
Old 05-28-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofinofish View Post
Hi Chub,

We will be glad to help you with this. I didn't do any Purple or Black in the last batch and actually plan to do a small batch of these colors soon. Today I received a custom order for Purple/Black with a Red lateral and sparse White belly, so will need to get on it as my stock of longer dark hair is depleted. I have found that doing Black can be a little tricky with tip burn but I would test small pieces of shorts before soaking your good long hair.
Most of my last hide was 5-9 inches, so we have a good stock for a while now. Your 10-11 inch hair is very rare, and if I don't feel that I will get it right for you, I will hold back and send back. We should be good though.
I used some Veniard and some from Superfly this last session, and no problems with either.

Jay
when do you nee it by? i have a friend coming out for fathers day and returning to the coast 2 days after, is that too late?. i can send a patch of sample hair of the color i want with him.
if you really feel confident i have 1 8x14 patch of 14inch that i want done too
please and thank you
Old 05-28-2011, 12:15 AM

That should work fine for timing as I need to order more Dye anyhow.
I will be doing a very small batch for this current order and will work on yours when we get it.
Including a sample is important.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofinofish View Post
That should work fine for timing as I need to order more Dye anyhow.
I will be doing a very small batch for this current order and will work on yours when we get it.
Including a sample is important.
thank you sir
Old 06-03-2011, 05:03 PM

Hi Chub,

I've been trying to order more dark Purple dye and have been coming up short. I should have some soon if you are still interested to have us work with your PB hair.
I have recieved a number of custom fly orders this week that involve Purple so we will need to get some done soon.

Thanks to many of the AO forum members that have relied on us to custom tie special patterns for thier trips this season.
Main ones are Medium and Magnum Bucktails, as well as our own Articulate Clayoquot Clouser which are all built with custom dyed Polar Bear and epoxied bodies and heads..

Let me know if you need help Chub,

J.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:16 PM

[QUOTE=Tofinofish;964701]Hi Chub,

I've been trying to order more dark Purple dye and have been coming up short. I should have some soon if you are still interested to have us work with your PB hair.
I have recieved a number of custom fly orders this week that involve Purple so we will need to get some done soon.

Thanks to many of the AO forum members that have relied on us to custom tie special patterns for thier trips this season.
Main ones are Medium and Magnum Bucktails, as well as our own Articulate Clayoquot Clouser which are all built with custom dyed Polar Bear and epoxied bodies and heads..

Let me know if you need help Chub,

ok let me see if i can get the hair to you before fathers day
Thank you for remembering about me