Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-01-2011, 07:19 PM

Default Minnewanka

Attempting lake minnewanka next week for the first time. Are there any boating hazards to be on the lookout for, whats the boat launch like.Would jigging be the most productive at this time of year and any ideas of colors or depths to work the bait.I understand lead is not allowed but can lead weights be used, thanks a bunch for any tips as i am mainly a walleye and pike guy but would love to nail a laker to take off my bucket list.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:33 PM

I have not been there in a long time. I do remember it having a good boat launch though. I do believe no lead does include lead weights. Not having fished there in a while I am not sure of any hazard first hand, but I have heard from other anglers that the wind can come out of nowhere and make the water pretty rough very fast. Don't forget your national parks fishing license. Good luck
Old 06-01-2011, 07:52 PM

Good boat ramp here but it is a long one. Just watch the weather and it should be good. This time of year i do real well in shallow water about 20-25 feet.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 PM

possibly the nicest ramp in southern alberta......also the most entertaining...bring a sammich
Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 PM

There was a fellow who recently posted about great success in minne he said 125 fow mid colum and on the way down the wind can make it a bit trecherous in smaller boats if u dont pay attention.

Link: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=94045
Old 06-01-2011, 08:12 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=94045
Old 06-02-2011, 01:29 AM

Good boat launch for sure, lead allowed but above 50 gms only, pls. make sure you have the parks license and also a copy of regulation as there are quite a few to follow, anyway good luck with fishing....!!!

Last edited by fredieC; 06-02-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:57 PM

No real hazards, unless your boat has a draft of 200 feet! The shore drops away very fast all around the lake, and stays down. So unless you want to run 5 feet from shore, you're clear. It can get dicey at the far (east) end of the lake when the water is low, where a narrow channel forms between to parts of the lake, so use caution if the shore narrows in down there.

Yes, that boat launch does separate those who are very good at backing a trailer up from everyone else. But it's otherwise an excellent launch.

A few things to know (all in the regs). Need a national park/banff fishing license. Two lake trout limit. You must stop fishing for lake trout once you get your limit (unlike provincial regs that allow you to continue fishing catch and release if you want). Barbs allowed but discouraged. Can only have two hooks on a lure (rather than three in provincial waters). Can only have one lure/jig on a line (unlike up to 3 in provincial waters). No bait, includes scented artificial. No lead tackle under 50g within 100m of the lake (i.e. you can't even have it in your boat, so clear out your split-shot sinkers and jigs before you go).

I'm hoping to head out this weekend. Weather looks decent.

D