Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2020, 11:23 AM
Banned

Default Calling lake algae?

Can anyone give me an update on calling lake algae? I heard a few days back it was thick, was wondering if it’s cleared up any?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Can anyone give me an update on calling lake algae? I heard a few days back it was thick, was wondering if it’s cleared up any?

Thanks in advance!
Reading a different thread, poster said it doesn’t clear up at all until first hard frost. Just moves around until then. I never knew that. I’m guessing the fall turnover puts an end to it.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:10 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=386274
Old 08-18-2020, 03:16 PM

I was out Sunday. It's there. You'll mostly find it downwind.

I went towards VW point (about 2/3's of the way) and hit some waypoints I put down there a few years back. The spray off the side of the boat was green and there were clumps hanging in the water when I first started fishing but the wind was out of the SE and seemed to push the worst of it away. What slick was on the surface was gone in an hour or two but I noticed boats going past still put out green spray.

They're still biting. I was picking them up between 26' and 34'
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 08-19-2020, 10:08 PM

Had to run up to Rock Island River on Tuesday to escape the bloom. Saw a couple dead fish. Some thick patches by 4 PM off the townsite.

Drewski
Old 08-21-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Had to run up to Rock Island River on Tuesday to escape the bloom. Saw a couple dead fish. Some thick patches by 4 PM off the townsite.

Drewski
Is Rock Island River up past VW point on the west side? I've never been yet, may have to try it next time I go out.

Went out Wednesday evening and there was a bit of a surface slick at the PP boat launch. Went back to same spot as Sunday and there it's suspended but not a slick yet. I've seen it worse at Calling and it may still get worse, but at this point in time, it's still tolerable.

Didn't catch as many fish as Sunday but did get a few nice ones. Surface temp on Sunday morning was 64-65 and on Wed evening, 72

Sunday we were catching them in 26-34, Wed caught them in 40-42

***William Henley***
Old 08-21-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
Is Rock Island River up past VW point on the west side? I've never been yet, may have to try it next time I go out.

Went out Wednesday evening and there was a bit of a surface slick at the PP boat launch. Went back to same spot as Sunday and there it's suspended but not a slick yet. I've seen it worse at Calling and it may still get worse, but at this point in time, it's still tolerable.

Didn't catch as many fish as Sunday but did get a few nice ones. Surface temp on Sunday morning was 64-65 and on Wed evening, 72

Sunday we were catching them in 26-34, Wed caught them in 40-42
No bulging eyes or air bladders? I’ve caught them up to 40’ before and sometimes they blew up. Just bring them up slow?
Old 08-21-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
No bulging eyes or air bladders? I’ve caught them up to 40’ before and sometimes they blew up. Just bring them up slow?
Actually no, none. I do bring them up slow and get them back in fast unless they're keepers once I start pulling them up from below around 20-25'.

Took the same fellow out with me last Sunday that I took Wednesday evening and we had one that died on Sunday. I was VERY unhappy about it. It was definitely slot size but we both already had our limit of 1 each. My friend caught it. He took his time (got him doing what I do, turn the drag way down so the fish and strip line and work it real slow) bringing it in. I'd say about 10 min's bringing him up. Then he reached in the water beside the boat and carefully popped the hook out of it's mouth without ever taking the fish out of the water. It rolled over belly up immediately!

I spent 10 mins or more holding it upright and moving it forwards and back to get water over it's gills but it didn't recover. That was all it took for me so we went home. I haven't lost a fish like that in years and years!

We didn't have any problems on Wednesday evening like that, but we did see one dead pike and maybe 3 dead walleye by the PP boat launch when we went to leave.

***William Henley***
Old 08-28-2020, 10:35 AM

Default Heading Up Monday

Wondering how lake conditions and how the bite has been.

When we went in June , bite was crazy but so was the wind. We lost are anchor from the swell rubbing on the anchor rope.

Thanks
Tony
Old 08-31-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
Wondering how lake conditions and how the bite has been.

When we went in June , bite was crazy but so was the wind. We lost are anchor from the swell rubbing on the anchor rope.

Thanks
Tony
Let us know how it went. I want to get out one more time before I put the boat way and am hoping to get out this weekend.........if the wind cooperates!

***William Henley***
Old 08-31-2020, 04:29 PM

Well the wind sure did not cooperate. This weekend and last weekend were pretty intense winds to say the least.

But the water is cooling and with 4 C temps at nights and the nights getting longer, we should be past the algae for this year.

Drewski
Old 09-01-2020, 09:01 AM

Sorry nothing to report. My partner couldn’t make it out and I’m still very new to boating. Don’t feel comfortable on my own yet.

Tony
Old 09-01-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Well the wind sure did not cooperate. This weekend and last weekend were pretty intense winds to say the least.

But the water is cooling and with 4 C temps at nights and the nights getting longer, we should be past the algae for this year.

Drewski
That's what I was thinking too. Here's hoping the wind will go away this weekend long enough for me to get out and see.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
Sorry nothing to report. My partner couldn’t make it out and I’m still very new to boating. Don’t feel comfortable on my own yet.

Tony
No worries........next time!

***William Henley***
Old 09-01-2020, 03:11 PM

The whites should start moving into the shallows, so this weekend I am going to try with the slip bobber and wire worm. It did not work this spring, and in fact, using a small 2 inch mister twister tail with 1/32 ounce jig, well off the bottom, I was catching walleye non stop????

This high water has really pounded the east beaches this year at Calling. We figure we lost a good 3 feet of beach, and what is left is either very big rock or very small pebbles, washed very high up the beach.

Also alot of driftwood, a tire on a rim? Beach toys, flip flops, ball caps, water pistols, a thermos, a folding chair, and the remains of a few of the neighbours docks.

Apparently last time the lake was this high was back in 1997, but that time it was a little higher, and flooded out a number of the low lying cabins.

Good times!

Drewski
Old 09-01-2020, 09:01 PM

I was up at the cabin this last weekend and a Bayliner got pushed off it's lift and was washed up on North beach and a lot of debris. Big wind and high water.
Talking to a game warden that was trapping bears that started cleaning up some big walleye and white fish that have washed up on shore the last three weeks. Now the bears are into the locals garbage and so it has become a problem. He says if anyone can get a fresh fish of either spices, take it and phone them and they will try to get it looked at by a biologist. With big white fish washing up as well, he suggests that it is not from hook mortality. No smaLL fish, only about 4 lbr's and up. Calling lake defiantly has some monster white fish too, I just wished I knew how to catch them. There must have been a 8 lber on shore a week ago.
If anyone is heading up this weekend, be warned the provincial park dock it toast and the shore has been washed away pretty good so it may be a bit tricky getting your trailer onto the concrete cleats. The long range forecast doesn't look good either for wind this long weekend.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry D View Post
I was up at the cabin this last weekend and a Bayliner got pushed off it's lift and was washed up on North beach and a lot of debris. Big wind and high water.
Talking to a game warden that was trapping bears that started cleaning up some big walleye and white fish that have washed up on shore the last three weeks. Now the bears are into the locals garbage and so it has become a problem. He says if anyone can get a fresh fish of either spices, take it and phone them and they will try to get it looked at by a biologist. With big white fish washing up as well, he suggests that it is not from hook mortality. No smaLL fish, only about 4 lbr's and up. Calling lake defiantly has some monster white fish too, I just wished I knew how to catch them. There must have been a 8 lber on shore a week ago.
If anyone is heading up this weekend, be warned the provincial park dock it toast and the shore has been washed away pretty good so it may be a bit tricky getting your trailer onto the concrete cleats. The long range forecast doesn't look good either for wind this long weekend.
Forecast as of right now is 17 km wind Saturday, 7 km Sun/Mon.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...a/calling-lake

Thanks for the info on the PP launch. I may just go launch over at Ben Auger if/when I get out.

Quote:
The whites should start moving into the shallows, so this weekend I am going to try with the slip bobber and wire worm. It did not work this spring, and in fact, using a small 2 inch mister twister tail with 1/32 ounce jig, well off the bottom, I was catching walleye non stop????

This high water has really pounded the east beaches this year at Calling. We figure we lost a good 3 feet of beach, and what is left is either very big rock or very small pebbles, washed very high up the beach.

Also alot of driftwood, a tire on a rim? Beach toys, flip flops, ball caps, water pistols, a thermos, a folding chair, and the remains of a few of the neighbours docks.

Apparently last time the lake was this high was back in 1997, but that time it was a little higher, and flooded out a number of the low lying cabins.

Good times!

Drewski
I'm interested in trying for some whites. Are they good eating? I'll have to do some research though as I've never fished for them before.

So a few years back we quit buying leeches. I'm happy to say I haven't dropped a dime on them in about 5 years or so.

I use a 3' to 4' snell with a floating jig (preferably perch). We used to put leeches on them but then my bro discovered the 2" mister twister jig bodies. I cut the main part of the body down by about 1/2 and slip it on my floater. With a 3/4 oz slip weight where snell meets main line the floater runs just off the bottom. Anywhere from inches above bottom to around 1' depending on how fast you're trolling. The mister twister jig tails have fantastic action and the walleye seem to love it.

I find the chartreuse ones work best but I have an assortment of colors. The nice thing is, if you miss a set, you have to reel in an "pull your pants up" (ie: the jig body gets pulled down onto the curve of the hook, so you have to push it back up into place) but your "bait" is still there. Unlike leeches. If they grab the bait and not the hook, when you go to set it's 'goodbye expensive leech'! I can catch many walleye on one jig body. I can't recall ever catching more than a couple on one leech.

Oh, we add beef heart chunks too once the walleye start slowing down. They seem to like the combination.

If you're going to be out this weekend let me know, I could use some tips on fishing whites...........

***William Henley***
Old 09-02-2020, 05:18 PM

Too windy to tell what the algae is like right now.

Lake is still pretty high. I have had to pull my dock in a few times this summer. In May it was at least 8’ further out.