Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 09:15 AM

Default ☡Hunters Worst Nightmare!☡

Ranchers blame exploding shell for grass fire that killed 160 head of cattle.
Farmers give no access to lease lands due to dry conditions and now we have this to look at; and we will be reminded when we go and ask a farmer for access if they let us on.... most likely cattle will need to be 100% off lease lands to hunt now.... use a fire arm when you have to, don't go scareface on the dam crown and lease lands.... and make sure its a kill shot & wild game!...

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local...head-of-cattle
Old 09-15-2017, 09:19 AM

It was from a military shell not rifle fire. As long as we don't hunt with RPG's all should be fine.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
It was from a military shell not rifle fire. As long as we don't hunt with RPG's all should be fine.
There goes my season...
Old 09-15-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaWild View Post
Farmers give no access to lease lands due to dry conditions and now we have this to look at; and we will be reminded when we go and ask a farmer for access if they let us on.... most likely cattle will need to be 100% off lease lands to hunt now.... use a fire arm when you have to, don't go scareface on the dam crown and lease lands.... and make sure its a kill shot & wild game!...

How did you get to you're over the top reaction from that article?

Not a single mention of hunting, hunters or anything hunting related.

The residents are upset with the military and how they manage events on their military base.

Too bad you're all bent where you needent be.

Except maybe the hunting will be pretty dismal on the effected lands, and the fact it probably will last as few seasons.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-15-2017, 10:39 AM
Banned

Lol over react much?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:48 AM

Do they not plow a fire break around the base like they do in Wainwright to prevent situations like this?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:53 AM

hate to be at his table if he spilled some ketchup on his shirt
Old 09-15-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
There goes my season...
It certainly won't help my pronghorn hunt.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:01 AM

Access was denied on several properties that we normally get permission a few weeks ago, don't imagine this will help anything without more rain.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
Do they not plow a fire break around the base like they do in Wainwright to prevent situations like this?
Yup, ordinance was detonated and the fire jumped the firebreak in high winds...in short, it got away from them.

LC
Old 09-15-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Could happen boys... knock on wood... so dont smoke while hunting and dont make a fire.. you a hunter...so just hunt.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Could happen boys... knock on wood... so dont smoke while hunting and dont make a fire.. you a hunter...so just hunt.
That has NOTHING to do with the article.....
Old 09-15-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:

that has nothing to do with this article!
Old 09-15-2017, 02:04 PM

Things like this make me really appreciative of the fact that I have my own little private hunting area near the center of Alberta. Saw 3 nice white tail deer, 2 does and a medium size buck this morning while there was still frost on the ground.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:09 PM

Meanwhile... did you guys know Wholesale Sports is closing?
Old 09-15-2017, 02:37 PM
Gone Hunting

So did any of you help to fight the fire or even offer to help?

I see lots of requests on here for tips on hunting Suffield elk, lease land access and cranky landowners. I was just curious if anyone helped out or plans to help out.

I know some of the ranchers who lost cattle there, including my brother. He said outside of firefighters from as far away as Stettler, he knew of no one who volunteered to help.

Last night the politicians showed up at a meeting. It will be interesting to see how the compensation shakes out. The military were not represented at the meeting>Seems they are exempt for rules for fire bans.

The military held up two different groups of firefighters, one group for 45 minutes and one for 2 hours, while they diddled waiting for orders. The firefighters are not happy. The ranchers are not happy, The dead cows are not happy.

Fire ban????? Really. Not hard to see why access is difficult.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-15-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
You don't say.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-15-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
Meanwhile... did you guys know Wholesale Sports is closing?
You're serious!
Old 09-16-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
So did any of you help to fight the fire or even offer to help?

I see lots of requests on here for tips on hunting Suffield elk, lease land access and cranky landowners. I was just curious if anyone helped out or plans to help out.

I know some of the ranchers who lost cattle there, including my brother. He said outside of firefighters from as far away as Stettler, he knew of no one who volunteered to help.

Last night the politicians showed up at a meeting. It will be interesting to see how the compensation shakes out. The military were not represented at the meeting>Seems they are exempt for rules for fire bans.

The military held up two different groups of firefighters, one group for 45 minutes and one for 2 hours, while they diddled waiting for orders. The firefighters are not happy. The ranchers are not happy, The dead cows are not happy.

Fire ban????? Really. Not hard to see why access is difficult.
if i lived over there i would have; but im 3 hrs away or so. Never been to suffield or jenner area but have herd good positive stuff about jeff......
Old 09-16-2017, 07:56 PM
Banned

This is definitely one of the dumbest threads I have come across on this site so far.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post

This is definitely one of the dumbest threads I have come across on this site so far.
Nah... A couple other guys have started some pretty stupid threads.

But this is a fairly simple case of "lack of reading skills". OP could have avoided the whole thing had he taken the time to read the article.

It's fairly clear that ordnance (rocket/bomb/artillery) from Suffield caused the blaze...

Old 09-16-2017, 08:31 PM

Default Nailed it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Nah... A couple other guys have started some pretty stupid threads.

But this is a fairly simple case of "lack of reading skills". OP could have avoided the whole thing had he taken the time to read the article.

It's fairly clear that ordnance (rocket/bomb/artillery) from Suffield caused the blaze...

You nailed it... yah i should have took time to read it... but its suffield & farmers....
Old 09-16-2017, 08:32 PM

Thread is now closed
Old 09-17-2017, 02:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Back in the eighties we used to shoot a little then fight fires, spark up the grass and then the high winds was a gong show, wondered why we called it a live fire ex when we spent more time fighting fires....oh well was fun either way.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-17-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yup, ordinance was detonated and the fire jumped the firebreak in high winds...in short, it got away from them.

LC
So why were they detonating ordinance in high winds during such dry conditions? It sounds like this incident was simply the result of poor planning by the military.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:47 AM

This was a terrible terrible thing that happened to these farmers/ranchers and their animals.
We have been talking to a few of them and I can't believe some are still letting people on their land when it's so dry.
Just goes to show that many of them do support hunting and are very kind people.
As long as everyone abides by their rules for accessing their land we will enjoy some great hunting for years to come.
I hope cfb suffield will take responsibility to help these people out they have enough going against them when conditions are good in that country.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So why were they detonating ordinance in high winds during such dry conditions? It sounds like this incident was simply the result of poor planning by the military.
Gun camps...we ended up taking our trace out of the fifties for that part of the ex...poor planning is the key to success in the military when it all gets screwed up we were very good at getting out of the situation, a situation that should not have happened in the first place, it's called training...SNAFU...

Any damages sustained outside of the training area civies will be compensated...just takes a lot of paperwork and bs.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-17-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
As they say, Military Intelligence is an oxymoron.

Grizz
Old 09-17-2017, 08:32 AM

Most hunting access in the southeast is either being held to a very strict foot access only policy or no access at all. I fought a fire last week that was started by a hunter sitting on the side of a narrow oilfield high grade road while he was glassing. There was an oilfield tanker driver at a well 100m away that witnessed the white F150 sitting there, smoke starting to billow, and the truck take off in a real hurry. Don't know if it was a cigarette or a catalytic converter. Luckily the wind was just right that it had to push out against the wind, only burned maybe 20 acres. Mowing ditches in a lot of areas has been shut down. Cypress County has now discontinued it due to the fire risk. The thing that's scaring us ranchers is that people are just driving around, doing as they please without permission. I had a guy pull up to our house, on a fully private road, we maintain it, it's not on a road allowance, and he asks "seen any elk?" First response is "do you have permission?", his response is "no, I'm just driving around scouting". There are guys all over the place down here scouting for antelope and elk with no permission, just because you are staying on the road, for now, doesn't mean you don't get permission. These are the guys that scare us the most. Most of them are coming from northern Alberta and packing a high priority tag. They are willing to risk my livelihood for their once every 10 year opportunity to bag that bull or buck. I hate to say it, but northern Alberta hunters down here are the worst, and it's not their fault, they have moisture in most areas and the fire risk is low so they forget to maybe pinch out that cigarette, or sit right in the middle of the trail instead of pulling to the side and having their exhaust start something.

I don't mean to harp on you guys with this stuff, just trying to give you all some insight into what we are facing this year as land owners. The weather is doing us no favours and until the snow flys and we get some white stuff on the ground, fire risk is #1, your hunting "rights" are a very distant thought.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:51 AM

OpenRange. Thank you for the update. I hope your land, family and friends will be safe. I know landowner's in 151 & 152, they will be very strict on access, foot access only, game cart or backpacks. I have a bull elk tag for Nov., I will be accessing many areas I know on foot only. Hope the season will be safe for all !

Tags
closure, fire, hunting